Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replace the stock ones? My calipers are pretty chipped up and I have a squeek I can't get to go away. I need to replace my pads anyway and i found some calipers with pads in them for around 250 on speedconcepts.com ANyone replace theres? this isn't much more then replacing just the pads and i might still have a squeek(something with the rattle clip that i cant get to go away). so it seems easier to just replace the calipers but what pads do they come with? cheap junk pads? I've tried to get the squeek to go away but me and the shop i take it to cant get it to go away. By the time they keep working on the ill be paying tons in labor. I might as well just get calipers and pads and put them on that way i have no squeeks right?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I cannot help you with the Calipers....but maybe with the squeak.

I went thru two sets of rotors and two sets of front pads trying to get rid of the squeaks in the front.

Turned out it was the Hawk Racing Pads I had on the front. I replaced them with the PBR Pads and no more squeak! PBR Pads are made in Australia and are semi-metallic. They are the same as the OEM Pads for our cars as PBR makes the OEM's as well.

Good luck!

H

·
0 Posts
20bullitt01 said:
Anyone replace the stock ones? My calipers are pretty chipped up and I have a squeek I can't get to go away. I need to replace my pads anyway and i found some calipers with pads in them for around 250 on speedconcepts.com ANyone replace theres? this isn't much more then replacing just the pads and i might still have a squeek(something with the rattle clip that i cant get to go away). so it seems easier to just replace the calipers but what pads do they come with? cheap junk pads? I've tried to get the squeek to go away but me and the shop i take it to cant get it to go away. By the time they keep working on the ill be paying tons in labor. I might as well just get calipers and pads and put them on that way i have no squeeks right?
I found this place when I needed to get replacement letters. They shipped my stuff out the next day.

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=G&Category_Code=BULLITT

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about just replacin the pads and hoped it would go away..but if it doesnt then i guess id have to get the calipers anyway. Its such a weird squeek..its a constant one but when i push the brakes down a little bit it gets worse but a little more pressure and its completely gone. I cant figure it out!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Thats EXACTLY what I had.

Take my word for it......get the PBR Pads and be happy!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
My brakes have made noise since new, I just turn the other ear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol ive tried to turn the other ear but it comes from both sides! just the fronts though??? So p-51 you had a constant squeek until the brakes were pushed firmly down? you have a link to the PBR pads too please..i hope its just the pads and they don't still squeek with new ones on!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a squeek too!!!! I have replaced the pads and I lost my rattle but still have the squeek. My squeek isn't constant so thinking about replacing the wheel bearing and filing the back of the pad a little.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It was time for new pads and I ordered Hawks. With the stock rotors & Hawk Racing Pads a light touching of the pedal caused a terrible squeak! (such as in heavy traffic). Heavy pressing of the pedal and there was no squeak! I'm practically deaf anyway and if I could hear it, musta been really loud! It drove me crazy!

I changed to powerstop rotors (thinking it had to be the rotors) and still had the squeak! Did some research on this and other forms and came up with these PBR Pads and ordered them and put them on and NO MORE SQUEAK! Also, they are much less dusty than the Hawk Racing Pads I had on there!

No more squeak, period.

I think this is where I got them.
http://www.overnightautoparts.com/storefront/buy.php?make_text=ford&model_text=mustang&ml=must-bullitt-001&year=2001&part_name=brake_pad_set&brand_name=pbr&r=1&make_code=FO
Although the part number they have there on the website is not what is printed on the box. The Box says PBR "XBG" Low Semi-Met with a part number of D1353M. May be best to call them on the phone to ensure you get the same thing that I got. (pic attached)

Free shipping too!

Super Easy to change yourself. It takes longer to get the wheel off and back on that it does to change the pads. Just remember to look at how the spring clips go on (from the old pads). I left these off the first time and had a terrible rattle from the front, like the front end was going to come out of the car! You have to reuse these clips as they are not supplied with the pads. If you loose one, you can get more at MOPAR, but they come in a kit of 2 with the brake caliper rod and the kit is about 13-17.00 as I remember. Yes,....I lost one (that's how I know)! HA Ha....

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Race pads should not be used on the street. They are made to work at hi temps. You will never get them up to temp driving on the street. A good street pad is the Hawk HPS. All new pads should be bedded-in with the rotors (new or used) that they will be used against.

1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

I use the Hawk HPS with no squeak/rattle problems at all. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I had Hawk HPS on the rear and the Race Pads on the front. Both were bedded in as per instructions. Still the front squeaked!

At first I thought it was the rears and changed out the HPS's on the rear to Autozone Organic pads. Still had the squeak but then knew it was the fronts!

Changed the Race Pads out for the PBR's and problems solved.

·
Registered
656 Posts
P-51 Bullitt said:
I had Hawk HPS on the rear and the Race Pads on the front. Both were bedded in as per instructions. Still the front squeaked!

At first I thought it was the rears and changed out the HPS's on the rear to Autozone Organic pads. Still had the squeak but then knew it was the fronts!

Changed the Race Pads out for the PBR's and problems solved.
Again, your problem was using race pads. Bedded or not they are too aggressive for street use. You could have the most sophisticated state of the art rotors made and use race pads and they will still squeak.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
For the squeaking, can't you just use some stuff on the back of the pads (spray on or in a tube) that should get rid of the noise?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts