Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a roots type blower over the centrifugal ones? Curious on the power gains. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
there are alot of people who have the Kenny Bell or Wipple over a Vortech or Paxton. Its all in what you want. and depeding on the tune most people are still getting around the same amount of power.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Los said:
I want to do an N/A kinda thing but I dunno. Something about a Kenne Bell. :D
IMHO N/A is fine if your running a big motor. ie- something bigger than a 4.6L 281 Mod motor.

If you want to run N/A id say swap out for a big block or a larger small block that is Carbed.

the kenny bell is nice as well but you have to be more careful with the tune and is more expensive, thats why most people go with the Vortechs and paxtons, less expensive for the same numbers.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Good morning folks, 1543 has the K-B 9psi kit intercooled for the bullitts, before the kit in stock form the motor made 239 rwhp, after the install with the k-b tune it went up to 380 rwhp with all stock exhaust. Now have bassani catted x pipe with 2 1/2 in. mac system. I do love the sound of that WHINE !!!! Jim Bell told me that the tune was at the limit for a safe tune on pump gas. I have been very satisfied with it. By my calculations figuring in 15% for drive train loss its making 437 hp at the crank.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
DHGBULLITT said:
Good morning folks, 1543 has the K-B 9psi kit intercooled for the bullitts, before the kit in stock form the motor made 239 rwhp, after the install with the k-b tune it went up to 380 rwhp with all stock exhaust. Now have bassani catted x pipe with 2 1/2 in. mac system. I do love the sound of that WHINE !!!! Jim Bell told me that the tune was at the limit for a safe tune on pump gas. I have been very satisfied with it. By my calculations figuring in 15% for drive train loss its making 437 hp at the crank.
Yup thats about the same with my Vortech V2-SQ. Im running 8 psi consistant, with the MPH custom tune, all the needed componets, ie: injectors, Fuel pump, 1 degree cooler spark plugs. and im making 410hp and 420tq at the rear wheels with stock exaust from the manifolds all the way back. and everything eles is stock too. with DT loss im at about 475hp and 485tq at the crank. again not all motors are the same. im lucky this thing hassnt blown yet. since they say 400 hp is about the max at the crank you should have with the stock bottom end.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's easier to deal with? A vortech style blower or roots as far as maintentance?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Its up to u. I just know when u put on the KB u give up the nice intake on the bullitt. The Bullitt intake is like gold alot of the GT's will give a good $600 to $1000 for it cuz its not plastic and it can take more boost if they put a S/C.

Maintentance is up to the person. If ur lazy dont get a blower cuz it requires alot of attention. Each blower set up is alittle different.
Vortechs/Paxtons run off the engine oil. Which means the the s/c gets fresh oil everytime the oil is changed.
ProChargers r self contained. U have to remember to change the oil.

KB's not sure.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
KB is self contained as well.

I love mine, it has been absolutely trouble free and the boost is IMMEDIATE.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If the specific car I bought hadn't been available I originally planned on buying a low mile Bullitt and doing a KB setup. Nothing sounds better than the blower whine they make......John R

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
The 9 psi is intercooled for the bullitt and comes with everything except plugs and mine was 5200.00. And my son who has a Hi Performance mustang shop did the install. He is also the only upper midwest authorized K-B dealer and installer. OH darn did i throw that in there ?? Mercy.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Los said:
What's easier to deal with? A vortech style blower or roots as far as maintentance?
I have seen a lot of guys with vortech style blowers complain about changing the belt. With a KB it is not much more difficult or lengthy than a stock setup.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
OGBATMAN said:
Vortechs/Paxtons run off the engine oil. Which means the the s/c gets fresh oil everytime the oil is changed.
ProChargers r self contained. U have to remember to change the oil.

KB's not sure.
paxton just released a self contained version of the novi 2000. i dont think the bullitt kit will be ready for a while though.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BC said:
I have seen a lot of guys with vortech style blowers complain about changing the belt. With a KB it is not much more difficult or lengthy than a stock setup.
I'm thinking the same thing. I'll look into this further. There is a Mach1 on my site with a Eaton blower ~ nice gains on just a stock 4v. :D

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
In order to change the belt on a Vortech you essentially have to pull the blower. Of course if you are good and have help you can do it in about 30 minutes in the parking lot at the Shootout... (jdrains).

·
Registered
98 Posts
While both blower types will make similar peak power numbers at the same psi, you have to look at the ENTIRE power range. A twin-screw will give you tons more power under the curve than a centri.

I have a Vortech and honestly, there are times I wish it was a KB. This comes after riding in a KB car and then mine back-to-back. Still love the Voretch, but Id really like to have instant boost.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
helty said:
While both blower types will make similar peak power numbers at the same psi, you have to look at the ENTIRE power range. A twin-screw will give you tons more power under the curve than a centri.

I have a Vortech and honestly, there are times I wish it was a KB. This comes after riding in a KB car and then mine back-to-back. Still love the Voretch, but Id really like to have instant boost.
+1....
All very true. Twin screws reach max boost by 2000 rpm plus or minus. Most centrifugals dont until 5ooo rpm plus or minus. If only I could go back in time and convince MRaburn to do the KB thing on #0005......sigh.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts