Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put the 2nd set of new tires on my black '01 Bullitt (no mods), and had the tire shop do a wheel alignment. I was told that the camber was just out of spec and couldn't be brought back into alignment without adding what I think he called a "camber plate" (I might have that wrong). He said that the suspension sags over time, and the camber adjustment is now maxed out.

This is my daily driver with 68k miles, and I am wondering if this seems right. If so, what causes the sag, and is this normal? Could they have been looking at '01 GT alignment specs instead of Bullitt?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? This is my first car that is more than just basic transportation, so I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
here are the specs. found them in the Bullitt Archive at top of page:
http://www.bullittarchive.com/7000/7027/2001_Mustang_Specifications.htm

Suspension System General Information
Specifications

Item
LH
RH
Total/Split

Alignment Specifications - Front

Caster
3.2° ± 0.75°
3.2° ± 0.75°
0° ± 0.75°

Camber
-0.50° ± 0.75°
-0.50° ± 0.75°
0° ± 0.75°

Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out)
-
-
0.25° ± 0.25°

Alignment Specifications - Rear, Cobra

Caster
-
-
-

Camber
-0.7° ± 0.2°
-0.7° ± 0.2°
0° ± 0.50°

Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out)
-
-
0.25° ± 0.15°

General Specifications

Item
Specification

Dogtracking - maximum
13 mm (0.5 in.)

Clear vision (negative value is counterclockwise)
-2°±3°

Vehicle Ride Height

Front
4mm ± 7.6 mm (0.2 in. ± 0.3 in.)

Rear - GT and Base
128 mm (5 in.)

Rear - Cobra
36.3 mm ± 7.6 mm (1.4 in. ± 0.3 in.)

Ball Joint Radial Play

Lower ball joint - maximum
0.8 mm (1/32 in.)

Vehicle Lean (Side-to-Side Height Differences)

Front - maximum
13 mm (0.5 in.)

Rear - maximum
13 mm (0.5 in.)

Vehicle Attitude (Front-to-Rear Height Difference)

Maximum vehicle attitude
19 mm (0.75 in.)

Torque Specifications

Description
Nm
Lb-Ft

Front suspension camber adjustment plate bolt

Front suspension camber adjustment plate nuts

Rear camber adjustment nut

Toe link jam nuts

Tie-rod jam nuts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll check those numbers with the alignment print out I got to see if it's really out of spec.

But assuming it is, does this stuff about needing a camber plate sound right? Is this something that just happens over time, and has anyone else seen this sort of thing before?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have always heard that the stock mustang camber plates will align the car to specs with it lowered up to 1 in. One thing to consider the bullitts are already lowered 3/4 in. And I believe they have the same specs as a regular GT. The springs can sag a little after a while. More affected on wore out struts or shocks and driving conditions. At 68k miles would consider it just a break in. I would recommend getting the plates anyways. They are stronger than stock and have more adjustability. I don't beleive the stock plates adjust caster either. Have a buddy who was in your shoes a couple years ago at 30k miles. They supposedly loosened the
k-member bolts and shifted the k-member to get it just within specs. He still claimed that it wasn't right and pulled to much.

Here is a link to the ones I have and recommend: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...om/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_68

·
Registered
370 Posts
I lowered my car, so I put on the m/m plates to get it to spec. something is funny the car cant sag that much and with only 68k. I honestly would check out another align shop.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Dropped the '04 1 1/2" and only drilled out the rivets for all the adjustment I needed. Just an FYI.

Oh and my Bullitt has been lowered another 3/4" from factory and I've just had an alignment as well. They told me mine was out of spec as well but the numbers were so small that there will be no issues. I could use a set of caster/camber plates but right now nothing justifies me spending that cash.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I just lowerd my car also and they said it was just slightly out of spec but not enough to cause a problem.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
I have a set of the Shark UPR's I had powder coated and am waiting to install, they didn't cost all that much. got 'em on e-bay.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
Try these instead. Much cheaper and should work just fine.

http://www.steeda.com/products/camber_adjust_bolt_set_struts.php
My alignment guy suggested getting the caster/camber plates.

He said something about my passenger side strut(?) tower being higher than the other one. He couldn't bring it into spec.

It looks like my front tires are pointing away from each other slightly. I need to fix this before it ruins my new tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts