Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Cams

919 views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  fromthecoast 
#1 ·
I dont know anything about cams, im just wondering if it would be worth it, what kind to get and what else would have to be done along with them to still have a reliable car.

#2 ·
2V cams arent that easy to install, that being said I would save my money for a power adder such as a MPH Mongoose kit and call it a day. Of course Cams and a blower is even sweeter, all depends on the dough.

#3 ·
I'm looking at the Comp Xextreme Energy cams as a possibility. I know some people who can install for free or very reasonable, so I may take the plunge on these as I can't afford to drop 4 grand all at once.

#5 ·
Looking around on the net, looks like $600 is the asking price. Hunting a bit might save a few bucks. Labor rates are likely to be the real killer

#7 ·
Yeah you need to take apart most of the front of the engine to do cams on a these MOD motors. To get the most out of the cams you should really have ported heads. Because you have a good flowing exhaust already heads and cams should wake your car up pretty good. But honestly a supercharger will be a little more and a better bang for the buck. Sadly HP isn't cheap or easy :( How did you make out with the detail on your car?? and how have you been?? haven't seen you in a bit!:)

#8 ·
yea i know its not cheap...but a grand is quite a bit different that 4 or 5. I was looking at the VT stage 2 cams, they say around 80 hp, not sure if thats valid. They are around 565 and then i think i have to do valve springs, is there anything else I would have to do? What are the pros of the MPH cams??

Black4592 said:
Yeah you need to take apart most of the front of the engine to do cams on a these MOD motors. To get the most out of the cams you should really have ported heads. Because you have a good flowing exhaust already heads and cams should wake your car up pretty good. But honestly a supercharger will be a little more and a better bang for the buck. Sadly HP isn't cheap or easy :( How did you make out with the detail on your car?? and how have you been?? haven't seen you in a bit!:)
As for the detail im not gonna worry about it till after the winter, and im gettin a buffer.

#9 ·
Bullitt2436KM said:
yea i know its not cheap...but a grand is quite a bit different that 4 or 5. I was looking at the VT stage 2 cams, they say around 80 hp, not sure if thats valid. They are around 565 and then i think i have to do valve springs, is there anything else I would have to do? What are the pros of the MPH cams??

As for the detail im not gonna worry about it till after the winter, and im gettin a buffer.
The cams MPH had listed on their site are the VT and Comp cams.

#10 ·
I have the VT stage II's N/A cams and love the heck out of them.30 to 35 hp guarrantied.If you are into the old school lump/sound,and love the sound of a high rev'ing N/A engine at the strip,cams are what you want.Not cheap considering on what you cams you go with,you'll need valve springs aswell,then the laybour cost aswell.
Here is a vid of my GT ,and the VT stage II N/A cams......(lol,you can here my daughter in the backgorund aswell :cool: )
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b95e0a80-2170-4123-8ce3-98ab0158f247.htm

#11 ·
Bullitt2436KM said:

Cams and springs is what you will need. Remember though IF you do plan on a power adder buy your cams accordingly to get the most out of your car. :smile: Everyone if modding out their bullitts around here, it makes me feel like I gotta keep up with the Jones's!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

#13 ·
1LOW03GT said:
I have the VT stage II's N/A cams and love the heck out of them.30 to 35 hp guarrantied.If you are into the old school lump/sound,and love the sound of a high rev'ing N/A engine at the strip,cams are what you want.Not cheap considering on what you cams you go with,you'll need valve springs aswell,then the laybour cost aswell.
Here is a vid of my GT ,and the VT stage II N/A cams......(lol,you can here my daughter in the backgorund aswell :cool: )
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b95e0a80-2170-4123-8ce3-98ab0158f247.htm
that thing sounds awesome...did you do valve springs and if so which ones? Id also like to know what exhaust u have on the GT, sounds awesome - exactly what i want.

#14 ·
Bullitt 736 said:
The cams MPH had listed on their site are the VT and Comp cams.
Tim , has his own custom grinds available. You have to call them direct though.

#15 ·
I have CompCams XE262AH installed and love them. I read an article a few years ago comparing different CompCams grinds in the 4.6 2v motor in MMFF before I purchased mine. Not the power of a blower but pretty freakin cool. I will probably never be able to get $4k-$5k out of the wife so I do it in $2k increments: cams & gear, wheels & tires, headers etc

#16 ·
Bullitt2436KM said:
that thing sounds awesome...did you do valve springs and if so which ones? Id also like to know what exhaust u have on the GT, sounds awesome - exactly what i want.
Thanks!!:cool:
Yeah i had the springs done aswell,i have the comp cams bee hive valve springs,but now most guys are recommending Manley Nextek valve springs.In that vid,i have the Mac off road h pipe,and Flowmasters 40s delta flows welded in.
Good luck on your choices. :wink:

#17 ·
Bullitt2436KM said:
yea i was thinkin that...i saw in one thread that the guy mentioned u can get the blower cams. U can have them run fine for the street but they still allow you to do the blower down the road. Is this true?
I'm not quite sure but What I could gather is If you were to install blower cams then you wouldn't get as much power as n\a cams right away, but you will benefit when you install a blower. I don't think there would be drive ability issues but I'm not an expert on this toppic..

#20 ·
Call the cam grinder and give them the info about your car. They will grind a cam to match your mods. I also agree that just doing cams and not the heads will not give you the results that may be expected.

#22 ·
Bullitt2436KM said:
im just looking for a little more power for a reasonable amount of money....and of course that awesome sound

How much are heads...could i just get mine bored out?
Heads are another grand give or take?? check out patriot performance for a price. You can get your heads ported out yes. Check out beezerhes at the engine shop now but from what I have heard around town he is the one to go to for engine work.

#24 ·
I don't want to hijack your thread here but I was wondering if you had heard anything about the XE278 Cams. I think they are the most aggresive and probably need ported heads to get the most benefit. They also probablly have a very rough idle, but that is fine with me as long as the engine doesn't die at idle although you can bump up the idle speed if needed.

#25 ·
Bullitt2436KM said:
any idea of how much getting the heads ported would be?....also what would I tell him, there has to be like different degrees of porting?
You should be able to tell him what your ultimate plans are and which cams you are using. Then he should be able to help you out. As for price I'm sure it depends on how much work an which parts (springs,valves,retainers,ect.) you plan on buying.

#26 ·
If you are thinking of upgrading cams and heads, you should do it all at once to save some labor costs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.