Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is really to those using one of the the short throw shifters...does it help eliminate the sometimes annoying and very talked about clunk that can happen between in 2nd and 3rd gear shifts?

I have seen threads on shifting techniques, double clutching etc. But am curious if these products could help.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-28 14:13, kgilch wrote:
My question is really to those using one of the the short throw shifters...does it help eliminate the sometimes annoying and very talked about clunk that can happen between in 2nd and 3rd gear shifts?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. Since I have installed my Tri-ax, I simultaneously gained the dreaded cold trans 1-2 clunk/grind. I already had a slight 2-3 clunk.

I installed the shifter to help prevent the bending of the shift forks with help from the stops. Unfortunately that theory did not work.

If I had it to do over again I probably would have stayed with the stock shifter, it worked good enough.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, great knowledge passed on although not the answer wanted.

Still may persue the Tri-ax for the shorter shift throw and better handle angle. Although I have seen some posts say they were happy with just an MGW handle only.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine doesn't "clunk..." it kinda "clicks" into second, and it's a little hard to get into third, it seems to me.

I don't think my shifter forks are bent, but I bought #3401 used...I don't know what happened in those first 704 miles.

Edit: BC had already answered my Tri-Ax question.

Scott D.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott D on 2001-11-29 22:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott D on 2001-11-29 22:30 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott D on 2001-12-01 20:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 2-3 shift is smooth as butter, even power shifting. After reading the posts here, I'm being careful to not bend the forks.

My problem is the 1-2, which someone described as a click. Worse when cold, but it's never a smooth shift. There's a notch it catches on just before being fully engaged in second. You can hear it, but mostly it's the feel I hate and the fact that I can't bang it because it catches.

Doesn't eveyone have this 1-2 problem?

P.S. The only grind I've heard has been driver error.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cupfan on 2001-11-30 08:51 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Cupfan,
That is the classic bent fork. I am waiting for my service department to get a few under their belt before I take it in. Besides the longer I wait then the newer it will be out of warranty,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts