Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
That's what Ford recommends. 87 octane is what I run in mine, but some people have had detonation problems, so if you do, just bump it up to 91.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have always run 89. Are you using 89, 91, or 93?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
R U serious?

everything states the car takes 87... specs on the car from sites, manual, etc. why would you run higher octane? just makes 0 sense unless you have pinging or supporting mods that require it

87 is where it's at

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I've always used regular unleaded gas in our stock Bullitt.......

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
If Regular is the standard grade of leaded gasoline. And Ethel is the premium grade of leaded gasoline. Then, Unleaded 87 Octane is irregular.:shock:

j/k! I was provaricating...:smile:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
jrbullit said:
gas prices are killen me i was wondering if anybody runs regular......
You should be running regular (87) all the time on an '01 Bullitt. Running 89 or 93+ is a waste of money.

·
Registered
113 Posts
mine pings on 87 on hard runs, anybody elses car do that? i saw a tsb about it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Absolutely!!! Mine pings and flattles using 87 so much that I cannot use it. 91 or better for me-all the time. It's kinda funny how some handle 87 well and some don't. I hear 87 combusts easier, too.

Ichibanbullitt

·
Registered
618 Posts
You should be running 87 unless you have it tuned for someting higher or experience pinging. Mine was set for 91 and I was having pinging under WOT with 93. I retuned back to 87 with a safe tune and have been fine since.

Actually getting better mileage too, which is reverse of what it should be. I think my premium tune was messed up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
87 burns more readily, which is why it pings. Pinging is slight detonation caused by high combustion temp. There's a TSB about a PCM update for the pinging in the Bullitts.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
higher octane should have no effect on mileage

·
Registered
618 Posts
rblack4405 said:
higher octane should have no effect on mileage
I think that this is true when in stock form, but I have heard that there is more potential in 93 if tuned properly. Probably bull though.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
If Regular is the standard grade of leaded gasoline. And Ethel is the premium grade of leaded gasoline. Then, Unleaded 87 Octane is irregular.:shock:

I think that they make the irregular stuff special for the Green Bullitts:lol: .......

i use just reg plain jane gas......

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use 87 octane in my stock Bullitt with no problems. I have run higher octane with no difference that I can tell.
A buddy was telling me the other day that not all gas is the same and that Chevron is the best out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts