Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm selling my 1996 Dodge Avenger ES and I was trying to clean up the engine compartment today. The connection on the battery has severe corrosion around it and I'm wondering what I can do to either clean it off or fix it up. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated as this is the only thing that looks bad under the hood and I'd like it to look nice.

Thank you SO much!
Bubbles

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
No smoking,
clean the terminal and post with a wire brush. For like a dollar you can put the felt washers underneath that are checmically treated, or put a littl vaseline where the post comes through the plastic caseing.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Pour Coca-Cola on it :razz:

Start with some baking soda and water to neutralize the acid. Get one of the cheap little brush sets from Walmart or Autozone to clean sand it. You may want to buy a new cable if it won't clean up. Get some of that spray stuff to keep it away for a while.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-12-10 00:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-10 00:43, 01GTB wrote:
Pour Coca-Cola on it :razz:

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was going to recommend. :lol:

It really does work though.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, thank you all! I'm going to work on it tomorrow, when it's daylight out. I'll take a before and after picture, just to see how well it came out.

Again, thanks for the help, you all always come through! :grin:

P.S. Will Pepsi work, or just Coke? heehee!

Bubbles

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uhhh, exactly! I don't drink sodas...PERIOD! But, some Thanksgiving guests did leave 2 cans of Coke in the fridge, I just found them....whew, thank goodness...didn't want to waste money actually BUYING some.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Now after you get it all cleaned up put a copper penny on the battery.
The corrosion will attack the penny and keep the terminals clean.

Yeah I know the spray stuff will do the same thing, but it's not retro LOL :lol:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Believe it or not, baking soda and water works quite well for removing battery terminal corrosion.

Just mix up a couple of tablespoons in a glass of water and pour it on. The corrosion fizzes up and rinses off. It's cheaper than Coke or Pepsi, it doesn't get everything else all sticky and it's a lot more fun...kinda like science class.

Drink the Coke or Pepsi while you're cleaning your terminals.

:wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-12-10 12:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are funny! I WILL try the penny though, got my interest on that one!!!

:grin:

·
Registered
448 Posts
How about Diet Coke with Lemon?? LOL. That way your battery will have that lemony fresh smell when you are done!! :grin:

·
Registered
694 Posts
It seems like once the corrosion starts, it is difficult to eliminate .... almost like a mold! You can do all you like to it but if there is one area left uncleaned, then you have the problem back in no time. Just my experience. I am not an expert but this is what I have been told and learned. So make sure you clean it up well and even do the battery pan/hold down brackets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts