Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted in ages....but my car duster from Griot's Garage arrived today. I paid 20 bucks for it online. it is probably one of the best that i have used and is better then Meguiars or the California duster. It doesn't have parrafin on it to pick up the dust like the others, so i am glad i picked it and recommend to any of you guys.

they have alot of good stuff on their site.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Joker721 said:
it is probably one of the best that i have used and is better then Meguiars or the California duster.

Based on what? I have been using Cal. Duster for years with excellent results. And I got 2 dusters for $20 at Costco.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Paraffin. WTF?

Paraffin...I had to google define that one:

Paraffin:
hydrocarbon identified by saturated straight (normal or branched {iso}) carbon chains. The generalized paraffinic molecule can be symbolized by the formula CH+. Paraffins are relatively non-reactive and have excellent oxidation stability. In contrast to naphthenic oils, paraffinic lube oils have relatively high wax content and pour point, and generally have a high viscosity index (VI). Paraffinic solvents are generally lower in solvency than naphthenic or aromatic solvents. ...

or

A beeswax substitute derived from petroleum.

or

sticky stuff in my California Car duster that I had no idea was there.....hrmmmmmm.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but how is the dust removed without paraffin? Nothing comes close to a CA duster (IMHO).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Best thing to come from the left coast....

DOC1FMF said:
I have been using Cal. Duster for years with excellent results.
Me, too... Won it as a door prize about 6 years ago. Now, I don't leave home without it. A future mod might be a billet duster holder for my trunk interior.:lol:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Joker721 I have not ordered Griot's car duster yet. I only use their products on the Bullitt, wax, polish, clay bar, speed shine, interior cleaner, leather products, vinyl and rubber dressing, rubber cleaner, tire shine, car wash, foam pads for wax and polish for the buffer, microfiber cloths, etc. I have found their products suit me more that any other products I have used. The microfiber car wash mitts are next on my order list.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
rblack4405 said:
Joker721 I have not ordered Griot's car duster yet. I only use their products on the Bullitt, wax, polish, clay bar, speed shine, interior cleaner, leather products, vinyl and rubber dressing, rubber cleaner, tire shine, car wash, foam pads for wax and polish for the buffer, microfiber cloths, etc. I have found their products suit me more that any other products I have used. The microfiber car wash mitts are next on my order list.
Me thinks you might want to rethink your signature...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
other than the wax and polish, I use all the products mentioned on my wife's and my daily drivers. I just washed the Bullitt last week, last time was in Oct, or Nov. so I really do own my car. My other cars have leather, vinyl, rubber and carpet also.

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
I own both the Griot's Garage duster and the California duster. I have had better results with the California duster in that it picks up more dust (probably due to the parrafin wax) than the Griot's BUT I have also seen the California duster sometimes streak the clearcoat in humid conditions (probably due to the parrafin wax) where the Griot's Garage duster did not.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
PY said:
I own both the Griot's Garage Duster and the California Duster. I have had better results with the California Duster in that it picks up more dust (probably due to the paraffin wax) than the Griot's BUT I have also seen the California Duster sometimes streak the clearcoat in humid conditions (probably due to the paraffin wax) where the Griot's Garage Duster did not.
Yep, had that experience with CA duster myself, but a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth and its history!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had to cease using the California Duster on the black Chevelle (I know, wrong site!).
On hot days (it's always humid in MO) it left bad streaks on the Spies Hecker Blue Black.
I keep intending to set the duster on newspaper (again) for a few days to see if i can eliminate some of the wax.
It's well broke in and 7 years old.
I haven't noticed it as much with the duster we use on the TB Bullitt. But we all know how tough black is.
Thanks for the recommendation "Joker". I wonder if it has anything to do with the Meguiars? We have a thick coat on the Chevelle as well.
Sounds like a good Father's Day gift idea!
--Forte 2's Mom

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've used the CA duster before and it left the parrafin streaks on the paint. I would use some Final inspection to remove it, but I grew tired of that, so hence the reason I bought the Griots garage duster. My $0.02

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
I have one of the Griot's micro fiber dusters. It works well but in most (not all) situations the california Duster may pick up dirt at least as well. Griot's micro will never leave streaks in any weather condition (except rain I suppose).

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I have Zaino on my car and didn't really want to get wax on top of it, besides the California Dusters do leave streaks as other people have mentioned.

Lee

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I have used the same car duster since 1992, (California Car Duster)I have never had streaks on any car. I very, very, lightly let the duster touch the paint. If you drag the duster on the paint then it may leave streaks.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
My .02 is the hotter/more humid the environment the worse the CA duster performs. I personally used the CA duster and thought that all it did was push the dust around and totally streak the paint. I used it once and didn't even offer to give it away. I will be getting one of these Griot's Garage dusters and try it. I really thought with how the CA one performed, that something was on the duster (the paraffin) that wasn't supposed to be! I even tried to clean it! (ok, I'm a dork) I didn't realize that it was supposed to help, but heard of people up north having good results from it.

Thanks Joker for posting up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The longer you have the california duster the BETTER it works!! They all streak at first, but with a light hand and a few passes, I NEVER have streaks. I use mine first on the wife's car... and the neighbors. I usually do shake mine out a little bit after each use to make sure nothing huge got stuck in there. Other than that, I have had no problems with the CA duster. And I live in GA (hot and humid). Though, I'm sure the Griots is just as good, if not better if you really get down to the microscopic level. But since I already own a CA duster and have no problems anymore, I doubt I'd change over.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts