Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to monthly Mustang drive in at Hooters this past Monday evening. I left and pulled out on road and as I drove past AutoZone I saw something coming toward the car from my left. Turns out it was a bag of ice that I believe someone through from the AutoZone parking lot into the street. The bag hit the pavement near my left front bumper. Bag broke and ice hit bottom of bumper. Picture shows damage. This morning I arranged for the best body man in town to fix it and I know he does great work. Also a chance to get inside of one of the wheels redone where clearcoat came off but he can't do the work for about 3 weeks. Just to make myself feel better today I washed the car with Dawn, then rewashed it with Duragloss car wash, and waxed it with Duragloss polish. Took a couple of quick pics in the garage where I did the waxing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is okay to wash the car with Dawn to get old wax off as long as you only do this very seldom (like once a year). Actually this is the first time I have done it and then after washing the car with the Duragloss the car looked fantastic without any wax (actually I doubt that the one washing with Dawn took off all the wax) but I did wax it with the Duragloss and it is a great product.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I heard somewhere it soften the clear coat. I have no idea about that, but the makers of the product do not recommend using it.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
I know the feeling. Monday I was driving past a roadway cleaning crew while one of them was weedwacking around a mailbox. The weedwacker picked up a piece of rock that flew into the quarter window and put a small chip in the glass. I really makes me mad since body work won't help fix the flaw. I called around to a couple of glass shops and found that no one will attempt to do a chip repair on side window glass. I know they sell the small window repair kits at auto parts stores, but I'm afraid of making the situation worse. I guess it's part of driving the Bullitt, but it still sucks. Hang in there and I hope they make it better than new for ya'.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stripping wax was result of talking to the body man who will do the repair

rblack4405 said:
and why do we want to strip the wax
My fault for not being clear about reason for stripping the wax. I was advised by the body man who will do the repair on the bumper as he said he would have to take wax off to do the repair and that I could go ahead and do that step if I wanted to. There are a couple of other small places on the car he will also fix that I have been wanting done. For example, the license plate holder that was on the car when I bought it left a rubbed mark that showed when I went with the MGW holder that was slightly smaller than the original holder and seeing the rubbed mark has always bothered me. Also when the ice splattered on the side of the car it also left a very small place in the paint just to the rear of where the door opens that the guy will attempt to fix. He said putting the Duragloss wax would not be a problem for him to just wash off with car wash on the small areas he would repair. The Duragloss wax if great stuff and leaves absolutely no residue. I had waxes on the car other than the Duragloss so I wanted to get it off and start over with Duragloss.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Sorry to hear about your damage. We, too, use Dawn but only when it's necessary to strip off the wax. Why strip off the wax? An example is that I use Zaino. When I bought 4175 they had used Meguiars. When 2180 was repainted after being rear-ended they had put a polish on that streaked. Jeff stripped that off and reapplied the Zaino. Anyway, back to your topic. With a good body shop you won't be able to tell that there was any damage and she'll be looking good as new again.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Zaino recommends to use Dawn before the first time you wash your car with their products, but then they say to keep it in the kitchen right after lol.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I now understand why you were striping the wax, I was just showing what P&G said about their own product. I did strip the wax on the Bullitt once and used a wax stripper.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
wow that sucks man, I wish I had your self-control....wouldn't of let that one slide

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I got splashed with an egg two days ago. I think it was some idiot that just graduated from H.S. IDK, he took off the other direction, and once I got turned around I could not find him to catch him. In order to keep a bad thing from being worse I went home and cleaned it off ASAP. No damage to the paint, thankfully.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave: You did exactly the right thing. In my Covey training one of the principles taught is that if you get bitten by a poisonous snake the last thing you want to do is to run to catch and kill it as the poison will just get to you and kill you sooner. Just a little philosophy for a Monday evening.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Dennis-Sorry to hear about this incident. There seems to be an ever increasing lack of respect for people and property and this is just another example.

On a postive note your car looked great after the polish session....:cool:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
this is yet another reason i am glad i carry four firearms in my WORK truck, but NONE in my Bullitt... would run out of places to hide bodies if this kinda stuff kept happening to me...

hope it comes out looking as great as it did before Dennis...

shaun

shaun

·
Registered
722 Posts
SniperStang said:
this is yet another reason i am glad i carry four firearms in my WORK truck, but NONE in my Bullitt... would run out of places to hide bodies if this kinda stuff kept happening to me...

hope it comes out looking as great as it did before Dennis...

shaun

shaun
Okay Shaun Shaun :D.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.