Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some direction on the adjustment with the carb on my 69.

It has the original 2bbl autolight. The engine and carb were rebuilt last year. However, I've had a heck of a time getting the car to start the way it should. I basically have to pump the gas 15 times or so to get the car to start. One she's running everything is fine and she idles correctly. The fast idle works good once started and it bumps down the way it should. If I start it warm it will sometimes start or sometimes needs extra gas. I know I shouldn't have to pump the gas more than a couple of times for it to start when cold.

Anyone know what adjustments I should be making? What am I missing? I've spent hours trying to figure it out and can't get it. As far as I know I have followed the shop manual adjustment correctly. I even bought a new thermostat spring and housing for the choke. I'm sure it has something to do with the adjustments on the choke side of the carb.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
How long is it sitting a day or 2 weeks? Does it start and die or does nothing until you pump the hell out of it?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You answered your own question. It is the choke.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
54deuce said:
How long is it sitting a day or 2 weeks? Does it start and die or does nothing until you pump the hell out of it?
It sits most of the time. I start it up at least once a week. If I don't pump the hell out of it, it'll just turn over forever. Before the engine came apart on me (hence the rebuild) I would pump it twice and she'd fire right up.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P-51 Bullitt said:
You answered your own question. It is the choke.
That's what I figure, but I can't figure out what adjustment I'm making wrong. If I adjust it to make it start easy I end up with a fast idle that sounds like the engine is going to explode!

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I know we discussed this at Biff's one night. I had the same carb on the Cougar and got it working well. Between your books and mine, we should be able to get it going. Maybe I can arrange to come over next Saturday and help you with it. Two heads are better than one. Perhaps I'll drag the Lemans out of the garage and head over there in that! I'll call you later in the week to see your progress. You replaced the filter and the fuel pump is working okay, right?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I cannot remember if that choke is mechanical or vacuum assisted.

If you can adjust it to where the car starts good and you have a super high idle, that indicates to me that you may have a vacuum line off, broken or plugged.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
IMHO, the problem will probably be the economizer valve on the bottom of the float bowl. If it allows the gas to leak down into the intake when the car is shutoff, it needs to be replaced. You had an old rebuild kit. If your car sets long enough, say an hour or two, you have to pump the peddle. It's the valve. When working properly it gets your car a couple miles per gallon that you would otherswise waste. But on garage queens, they tend to loose their seal and require the peddle pump. Most of the Autolites I replaced with a Holley to rid myself of this little problem. I did get two of them to work properly back in the day on a 71 Marquis 429 pi 2bbl and a 74 F-100 390 2 bbl that I had. Once working properly they require no pumping after one pump to set the choke on a cold engine. And the fuel economy is terrific. Otherwise, they are a PITA. When working properly the engine will fire right up with little cranking. The Marquis only required the starter to be "bumped". And it would be running!

My advice, if your wanting to keep this carb, is to find a carb rebuilder that's worth his salt and have him rebuild it on the engine. He'll probably be about 60-70 years old now. So, good luck.

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
I think it is the choke too. I had an older Ranger that still used a carb and Ford rebuilt it for me (I was lazy at the time). :smile: When I got it back it wouldn't start and stay running. I got out my Chiltons, went through all the steps and ultimately they were quite a ways out on the proper choke plate clearance. I used a proper diameter drill bit as a gauge and got the plate set right (closed more) during the cold starts and the thing worked beautifully, no more problems. So this is one area to look at to along with all the other suggestions.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
When a carb car sits the float bowl tends to dry out so when you go to start it in say a week or two there is very little if any gas in the carb so when you pump the pedal its not really doing anything until the bowl is filled by the fuel pump which requires turning it over the motor several times before it starts. This happens on my 54 lincoln when it sits, so I put a electric pump in line, hit the switch for 10 seconds 2 pumps and turn the key and problem solved. But if its started and dies out right away that would be probably the choke not pulling off after it starts. Not sure how your carb is but you should check all your adjustments, and alot are at operating temp. Hope this helps

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
We have to pump our 69 at least 20-25 times before she will turn over from sitting more than 2 days. :wink: She has always been that way, we just got used to it. :frown: We had the original carburator rebuilt years ago....

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tinkered with it some today and she seems a little better. I guess I just expected more out of her than she was willing to give. We'll see what tomorrow does after she's had a chance to sit overnight.

I pumped it twice from the engine bay and tried to start it. Nothing happened after a few seconds. All I did was set the choke back on 0 index and adjusted the butterfly plate. I then tried it again and she started up after a few seconds of cranking. Once she was warmed up I tried some quick starts and it worked everytime. Maybe I've been doing too much pumping. I'll have to do some experimentation this week.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
When you pump the gas(after setting, for the 2 -3 days), look down in side the throttle bore and see if the squirters are squirting fuel, if not I aggree with David, your carb is actually empty.. And it is draining into the engine or back into the tank, the fuel pump could be by passing.

If they do squirt... Check the choke, should be about a pencil width gap from the front of the plate to the front of the throttle housing bore lip.....

Hold the choke plate open and try and start.... That will also tell you if it is out of adjustment if it will start

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Couldn't we put in electric fuel pumps and solve the whole problem? But then you have the chance of having a fire.....:frown:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started it this afternoon after it had set since yesterday. I pumped it twice from the engine bay again (because there isn't enough room in my garage to actually get in the thing!) and she fired right up!

I then made it bump down before it was warmed up and she stalled out...as she should have. So I hit the throttle again to reset the carb, then cranked it up and she fired right up again. So, she seems to be doing pretty good. Now I'm going to let it sit for a couple of days and see what happens.

The squirters work just fine, so I'm pretty sure it's been the choke. I had a really hard time back in the winter getting things right. I haven't really messed with it a lot since then. But, whatever I did seems to make it happy...at least for now.

I'll let you all know how it goes later in the week. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
You just don't want me coming around. :sad:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Your problem sounds like the choke to me. Maybe you don't have enough tension twisted on the coil spring also ... ???

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whatever I did seems to be working. I cranked it up on Sunday after it sat for 4-5 days. I pumped it twice and it turned over for about 5 seconds before starting up. I think if I pumped it 3 times it would have started faster. It's not quite like it was before the engine rebuild, but I'm not having the problems with it like during the winter. I guess I'll have to see what happens when it gets cold. I think the very slightly more agressive cam might have changed the starting characteristics a bit as well.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
You just have to crank them up,drive them more often. Today's fuels tend to evaporate a little more quickly,which isn't a problem with the EFI cars.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Mus408 said:
You just have to crank them up,drive them more often. Today's fuels tend to evaporate a little more quickly,which isn't a problem with the EFI cars.
I haven't started the Cougar since at least May. The Lemans is going on 3 weeks, but the most it ran then was idling in my driveway for about 15 minutes. I can park about 8 cars (10 if they're Mustangs :wink: )in a line in my driveway, but it's a bit of a chore getting them in and out of the gate that leads to my backyard.

I was forced to drive the Lemans a few years back when my Grand Marquis was in the shop. I put 300 miles on it rather quickly and by the end of that week, it never ran better! Started right up and idled smoothly.

Get the '69 legal and lets take it out for a run, Brent. See if the 326 in the Lemans has much over the 302! :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts