Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this talk about the future of the Bullitt as a collectable and how they will be looked at in the future got me to thinking about something we got into on another forum I am on. We started talking about what cars from the 80's, 90's, and early 00's will hot rodders be messing with and looking for in the future, or in other words what will the swap meet jems be in the next decade and so on. The guys on this other forum were mostly "rat rodders," so many of them had off ideas and most said it did not matter because anything post 64 stinks...but I wonder how you guys feel about it? What do you thing the AVERAGE car guys will be building on etc.

These are my picks

For non F body, non Ford guys the holy grail will be the GN's and GNX's, and as time goes on the T Types (a better deal and faster with the right tweaking). A bunch of these guys will be into or settle for 83 through 88 Monte Carlo SS's. A good platform to work from and a popular car (hell, I had two new ones, one in 83 and one in 87). A niche will be the Hurst Olds and 442's from the time, but they really were sticker add ons and did not even have an HO motor like the Monte Carlo SS's 305 HO. One thing that cracks me up on the SS cars is a the version that many felt would be "collectable" and that was talked about much like the Bullitt on here was...the Aerocoupe SS. Most guys I ran into who bought them did so because it would be "worth something someday." Most of them finally let those cars go and in fact had a hard time selling them, and people who saw ads for low mileage SS's were bummed when they found out they were Aerocoupes. Hey, while I am on the subject, anyone remember the 2+2 GP? Aztec's are not Pontiacs first feak shows when you think about that car.

Vett guys will always be around, but I bet the Z06's will be the hot ones. Anything C5 will be good. I do not feel time will be kind to the C4 gen cars, even the ZR1's. I bet C4's will be the poor mans vett, and thats not really ment as a pure slam, I just do not think they will command big bucks. I know the first time I saw a C4 it left me and most people I know cold and I never really warmed up to them, while on the other hand the C5 seemed to be universally loved from day one.

Vipers will be the Cobras of the future, and most hot rodders just will not be able to get their hands on one.

F Body cars, hmmmm. I bet IROC's will have a big following, maybe the biggest of them all. Everyone knows what the IROC is and that was a highpoint in F body history. Next would be anything SLP, be it Chevy or Pontiac. I do wonder if the amounts of SLP cars, esp. in the case of the Camaro, and the historical packs will work agianst them. This is why I give the nod to the IROC's over them even though they are the fastest. What I find odd is majority of Camaro's I see are SS's, I never see 6 bangers or Z28's, but when it comes to birds all I see are 6 bangers. Anyone else notice this or am I alone on this. Also on the bird front, I wonder if the Formula's with the V8's might not be hotter over the years...I could see the TA's of today being looked at much the same way as the Smokey and the Bandit TA years...too over the top. The TA's just have so much extra stuff on them its a love it or hate it deal.

On the stang front, fox bodies baby. The fox bodies will be the 55 chevy's of the next gen. I see the GT's as always a good bet, but the notch back trunked coupes with the V8's will always be a hot little niche for sure. On the Cobra front the 93 might be king...followed by the IRS 01 cars. The 5.0 Cobras will be a bit above the GT's but I do not think we will be talking about big sums of cash, the 5.0 Cobra's were not strong enuff IMHO to command big $$ on cars that easy to mod. Of course, I am the type guy that is amazed people pay what they do for the Mystic Cobra's.

Trucks will be a segment still, with the S10's and Chevy PU's number one. A few guys will get off into the last El Camino's and some will like Fords and Dodges...but I think chevy owns this group for the most part.

Jap tin lovers...this is one thing that I have a hard time seeing the future of. I can not see a guy 15 years for now looking for parts for his CRX. The little fart can cars just seem so "temporary" to me. Is it my bias showing? I only see the Nissan Z cars and the Mazda Rx7's and Miata's having a following...and it will be small like todays Z car guy scene. They are around, but they are few. Hell, even out of the super car field I see the NSX having a weak following...its just a slug for the money and like the F bodies it has stayed the same far too long and the following is too thin for that.

Please, feel free to tell me I am nuts...I would like to hear how those of you interested feel about this.

BTW, I thought we did this once before (a discussion like this) but I could not find it, so if you feel this is a dead topic sorry :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: merc50 on 2001-11-25 17:04 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
I agree with your comment about the Grand Nationals. Also, I think the Fox bodied are the 55 Chevys of this current hot rod generation as well as the future. There seems to be a lot of hardware available and plenty of how-to magazines.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I agree with almost every thing but the pickups I think the SS454 chevy's will be Hot along with the Lightings.... But I've seen a 94-95 lighting used as a paint truck the other day.... Racks and all.
Also the Impala SS's I think will be Hot.
Fox body Mustangs with the 5.0 are the 55 chevy's with the small block Chevy.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
i tell you what if i had the money I would have an rx-7 now. A guy I cruz with in the states has one and that thing is plane nasty. he always jokes about racing me. I dont think so . No need to get smoked m=by a ricer oh he runs 10.90 in the 1/4

·
Registered
451 Posts
Seems like only people who owned MN-12 (89-97) Thunderbirds/Cougars/Mark VIII's really love them, but I predict they will be somewhat sought after as time goes by. I know that I certainly hope to get my hands on one again. (Especially a MKVIII -- DOHC woo-hoo)

Depending on year, they had either a 5.0 or 4.6l, and although certain years had various design problems (predominantly transmission or chassis problems -- and the weak composite intakes on the 96's), most of the problems were of the type that were easily taken care of if you were informed about them. Thanks to the IRS, they corner like a SOB for a car their size even in stock form, and the engines are no more difficult to mod than any other 4.6l or 5.0. The aftermarket is definitely warming up to them, both in regards to engine enhancements, and also suspension options. I had grand plans for mine before her untimely death.

Though they weren't truly "fast" in stock form, they definitely hit a certain niche for combining luxury and sportiness in a largish package. That's not a niche everyone wants, but for those who like that niche they are some suhweet cars!

As for the other cars discussed here, I wouldn't have been able to come up
with Merc's post, but from my limited experience I think he hits it on the head. If I were looking for something recent to hop up (I'd never get ANY F-body, just not my style), I'd probably pick something off his list, in roughly the order he presented, if I couldn't get an MN12 T'bird or Mark.

Joe

Dark Highland Green #1934
Bone Stock except for a deep Zaino Shine!

1995 4.6L Thunderbird LX in Electric Red -- R.I.P.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dhg-1934 on 2001-11-27 03:36 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
You are right about the Hurst/Olds from around 1979. Not all that special, but it did have a 350 Olds engine (supposedly the only GM A body to have a 350)that had nearly as much hp as anything out of Detroit at that time, producing 170 HP and 275 lb/ft Torque. My Dad had one and it was my first car. I bought another in 1985 for the measly sum of $800.

The 1983-84 Hurst/Olds and 1985-87 442 did have an H.O. 180hp 307 Olds engine. Along with the 3.73 limited slip rear. We had a 1985 442. I remember Car & Driver had a test of the 442,GN, and SS, and the 442 was off the pace. In my experience (street racing)performance was equal to the SS. It was a last showing of Olds as a performance car complete with it's own engine, not a corporate 305.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-11-27 03:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm, I do not recall the 80's Hurst having anything special about the motor at all. I knew it was still a 307, but I did not know it was an "HO." I was never thrilled with the lightning rods either. For what it is worth, a guy I knew had a new one while I was in High School, the first year in black(84?), and he could never beat my SS. It was close, but I got him everytime (and many a time it was...stupid kids we waz). I got killed by 'stangs and F bodies at the time that were new, and one race that will always stand out to me back then was when I took on a Turbo TA with the SS...fun stuff. On a Buick note, I had an 86 GT that got spanked so bad by a GN it was not funny. At the track later on I threatend to blow up my 69 GTO Judge's motor before I would let a GNX beat me. That GNX almost took me, man those car were tuff. They did not hold up well, but they were tuff.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I had a 75 442 also. I picked it up for $400 in 1985 and it was nearly rusted to the ground. It did run alright though. Previous owner said it was a 350.

Well my Dad's 85 442 engine blew in 1987, thanks to me, and we went searching for a 455 to put in it. We had considered the 350 out of the 75 but decided against it. Neither of us had any money so it sat and sat and he sold it.

In 1993 I gave the 75 442 to my buddy Brian. I figured he could use it. He actually got it running again and we were simply amazed at how fast it was. Then we found out why. For anyone who knows much about Oldsmobile, they know how people get 350's and 455's confused. That's right, it had a 455. And after searching for one for the other car we gave up and it was right there. Now before any of you laugh, small block and big block Olds engines look damn similar and alot of parts inerchange easily. As a matter of fact, one of the only ways to tell (I know this now) is to look at the intake manifold. It will be 14" vs. 12". It's not like BB and SB Chevy :grin: Olds made some oddball stuff through the years.

merc50, an interesting sidenote. I rented an 87 442 for my graduation. It was a slug and nowhere near as fast as the 85. I'll agree with the Lightning Rods too. My Dad didn't buy an 84 because of that. He waited til 85 when they were gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wussup guys, i notice most of the cars u are talking about are 2 doors what about the 89-95 sho taurus they were fast car for what it was and even maybe the 96-99 v8 models but they only had auto which i dont like in a sport sedan. just my thoughts.:smile:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My life will be complete when I get my hands on a 1989 Ferrari 348TS, a 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera 4, a 1967 Shelby GT500, and a 1967 Ferrari 256GTO. :smile: My .02. Oh, and plane-wise, a turbine DHC-3 Otter amphib, and a P-51D Mustang. :smile:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
haven't given it much thought untill now. however, one of the 90's mustang that immediatly comes to mind, as what i think will be the chase car of cobras, and it's not the 93, but rather the hard top convertable of 95. i remember when they came out, and i got to see just one that was not going for the sticker price.

it is still a car that i would like to have.

the viper will definatly be chased after.

i still think that the z cars will still be chased after(i plan on buying a 71 240z when i find the space for it). i think when the new z comes out in 03 it will help kick start the z fans.

crx's not a chance

the only honda i see making it is the nsx, the civics and preludes will still be there just no older ones.

camaros and birds will still be around for a long time too i think.

and yea i have seen alot of ss and z28s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts