Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's on my car for about 12,000 miles and love them......

I have 275/40/17 on front with 9 inch wheels and 315/35/17 on rear 10.5 inch wheels.

Yesterday, I was going out to my Sister's for the "Bird Dinner" and I noticed that my steering wheel was pulling hard to the right. I stopped and had a look and I had a flat on the left front! I put some liquid tire repair in to hopefully get me where I was going as I did not feel like putting the "Donut" on. The pressure came up to about 20psi and off I went. I noticed that the wheel was not pulling anymore, but there was a bit of vibration like out of balance feel. I went fairly slow to my destination.

Once I got to my Sister's house, I looked at the tire again and it seemed to have gone down a bit but was still inflated somewhat. I went in my Sister's house for around 30 minutes and then came back out to see if it had gone down any further. It had.....it was flat!

So, out comes the "Donut". When I got the wheel off I found the damage (non repairable cut) in the tread. I must have run over something when coming back from the Bullitt Meet last Saturday. I ALSO found that the inside of the tire had worn down on the edge of the sidewall to almost nothing and threads were showing through! I could see on the sway bar end where it had been rubbing.

Now I have never had any problems with rubbing before and can only attribute this to running with a low tire which must have been just a bit "fatter" than when correctly inflated. So, the purpose for this CAUTION. If you are running 275/40's on Front on 9"/17" wheels, be sure to check you pressures regularly! And, if you have a flat, don't try to make it somewhere like I did with the canned stuff because you cannot get full pressure from the can. I checked my Right side front and it was down to 25 pounds! I guess the cold weather causes the pressure to decrease. The right side is also worn down a bit on the edge because for the entire 12,000 miles I was out of alignment (which has only recently been corrected).

Anyway, the "Donut" is on, and I made it back home after dinner. I will not use the car anymore until I get back from my upcoming trip. I am leaving Saturday for Overseas and my Sister is coming to pick me up as usual and drive me to the airport. When I get back, I have decided to go back to stock size on the front tires and will put two new 245/45/17 Goodyear F1 GS-D3's on.

The Monster 315's will stay on the back! But, I will watch the pressures regularly!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
That sucks, but glad it turned out all right

BTW though, 245s will look like completely eurocrap on the front. You need much more sidewall than that. 275s fit best on a 9, you could do 255s but really, those fit best on an 8in. Good luck though

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Maybe I will go with 275/40's again.......and just keep my eye on the pressures.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
P-51 Bullitt said:
Maybe I will go with 275/40's again.......and just keep my eye on the pressures.
I would, but I understand your issue. I just wanted to bring up that 245s will have that euro look going on as the rim will stick out a decent amount, and not only IMHO does it look bad but you're loosing some valuable rim protection and additional footprint that a wider tire could deliver.

I just put on 2 fresh 255s on my stockers Tuesday, and they fit quite well IMHO.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks for the info and the pics......

I had some spare time this morning and the Discount Tire in Sherman had two 275/40/17's there so I just went down and had it taken care of. While I was down there and the wheels were off the car, I had a little look see and I found that the ABS wires on the front are worn (from rubbing the wheel) on BOTH sides. Actually worn down to bright copper showing through! So, anyone running 275/40/17's on 9"/17" wheels on the front should have a check of you ABS wires next time you have the wheel off.

I will just replace those wires when I get an ABS light (which I have not seen one yet) and I will reroute them a bit to eliminate the possibility of future rubbing.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
When I replaced the tires and wheels on my car, I went with the American Racing Torq Thrust M wheels with 17x8 with 245/45/17 front and 17x9 with 275/40/17 rear. In my opinion, this is the combination that should have been on these cars from the factory. It looks very good but not overdone. I was a little leary to go with larger tires/wheels on the front.

BTW, my son has 17x9 wheels with 245/45/17s on the front of his Mustang and I really don't like the look at all.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
P-51 Bullitt said:
OK, thanks for the info and the pics......

I had some spare time this morning and the Discount Tire in Sherman had two 275/40/17's there so I just went down and had it taken care of. While I was down there and the wheels were off the car, I had a little look see and I found that the ABS wires on the front are worn (from rubbing the wheel) on BOTH sides. Actually worn down to bright copper showing through! So, anyone running 275/40/17's on 9"/17" wheels on the front should have a check of you ABS wires next time you have the wheel off.

I will just replace those wires when I get an ABS light (which I have not seen one yet) and I will reroute them a bit to eliminate the possibility of future rubbing.
I found the same problem a couple months ago and used zip ties to move the ABS wires away from the wheels. I figured it was an isolated issue, guess I was wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts