Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

CEL on Jeep question

189 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rangerdoc 
#1 ·
Off on on for years we'd get the CEL for our Jeep Liberty. It's always a code with something related to the evap system or the gas cap. We've put several new gas caps on as a result. Now the darn CEL is on and won't go away. I've looked for evap leaks, but just can't find anything. Anyone have any suggestions about what to look for?

#2 ·
A ripped torn or cut vacuum hose on the PCV valve hose will cause it. Also where the vacuum hoses hook to a hot part of the motor they have a tendency to get rotten from the heat on the bottom side, so look close at the bottom of each hose,where they are really impossible to see. Best to pull then off and look at the bottom.

One at a time. Also the any 90 degree any vacuum connector or 90 degree piece of vacuum hose. Very common

#3 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look. I did inspect the engine, but like you said...it can be hard to see and I'll pay closer attention at the bends and ends. I also sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner around to see if I could get the engine to react or sound different, but didn't have any luck.

When I had my explorer I found a leak just like you described. The heat from the upper radiator hose had melted a hole in a vacuum hose. You couldn't see it, but the carb spray made the engine react.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.