Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me begin by saying that I was never really a Mustang fan until the new body style, and still not enough of a fan to buy one. I have been waiting for two years to finally put my order in for an 09 Challenger R/T. Well, through many dissapointing encounters with the Dodge dealers in my area, I started to rethink my decision on buying a new Challenger. The last straw was the Car and Driver article on the Challenger and the Bullitt. Although I really like the new Challenger, I was "possessed" by the looks and performance of the Bullitt. I took the plunge and bought DHG 3056 last month.

I have not had so much fun with a car in a long time. I love the McQueen connection, the subdued looks, the retro gauges, the performance and of course the incredible sounds. No buyers remorse here. Now onto the fun.

I was running some errands yesterday when my keen eye spotted an 08 SRT 8 Challenger just beginning to cross the intersection ahead of me. I quickly went into the right lane and made a right turn onto the street he was on and jumped on it while still in first (the 4.6 at high RPM has such a vicious sound). He must have seen me coming too, because during our quick little jaunt to the next stoplight, neither one of us made any headway on the other.

At the stoplight, he, his wife and I just smiled and laughed and to each other. He turned into a theater and I continued on my way. I am under no illusions that under equal conditions, he probably would have cleaned my clock, but in this short encounter, I was very happy with my Bullitt's showing.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,739 Posts
Welcome to IMBOC and to the love of the Bullitt! True it may never be the fastest badest thing out there but it is the coolest!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
first time I seen the bullitt was in that same car and driver magazine, a guy brought it into work I asked him if I could plz have that magazine, went home showed my wife told her I had to have this car went to my local ford dealer that same day, and they just happen to have 4745 sitting in the show room with all the options I wanted and took it home
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
CHALLANGER FUN

MY MIDDLE SON 38 YEARS OLD PICKED UP HIS NEW BLACK CHALLANGER. TOOK IT OUT TO STRIP IN JOLIET RAN 13.80 PUT ON SCALE WAS 4180LBS.. NICE CAR BUT PAID 49,700 LOT OF MONEY. FUEL GUSSLER TAX 1755.00 I THINK THE LOOKS BEAT THE NEW CAMERO BY A LONG SHOT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
cpd0924 said:
MY MIDDLE SON 38 YEARS OLD PICKED UP HIS NEW BLACK CHALLANGER. TOOK IT OUT TO STRIP IN JOLIET RAN 13.80 PUT ON SCALE WAS 4180LBS.. NICE CAR BUT PAID 49,700 LOT OF MONEY. FUEL GUSSLER TAX 1755.00 I THINK THE LOOKS BEAT THE NEW CAMERO BY A LONG SHOT
cool I live in Joliet, you dident take your bullitt to run agianst his challenger?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,235 Posts
cpd0924 said:
MY MIDDLE SON 38 YEARS OLD PICKED UP HIS NEW BLACK CHALLANGER. TOOK IT OUT TO STRIP IN JOLIET RAN 13.80 PUT ON SCALE WAS 4180LBS.. NICE CAR BUT PAID 49,700 LOT OF MONEY. FUEL GUSSLER TAX 1755.00 I THINK THE LOOKS BEAT THE NEW CAMERO BY A LONG SHOT
Maybe a little father/son talk,would have swayed him to a 2008 GT-500? A better bang for the buck than the 08 Challenger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
ROB I DIDNT WANT HIM TO FEEL BAD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
MUS408 I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE, BUT THESE KIDS HAVE THERE OWN AGENDA. PROBLEM HE IS NOT A KID AT THAT AGE. WAIT UNTIL THE PROBLEMS START I CAN SAY I TOLD YOU SO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
Green scar said:
first time I seen the bullitt, went home showed my wife told her I had to have this car...
I heard that! :-B

bluebullitt2180.1 said:
Welcome to IMBOC and to the love of the Bullitt! True it may never be the fastest badest thing out there but it is the coolest!
I heard that too! :cool:

mreader said:
I was "possessed" by the looks and performance of the Bullitt. I took the plunge and bought DHG 3056 last month.

I have not had so much fun with a car in a long time. I love the McQueen connection, the subdued looks, the retro gauges, the performance and of course the incredible sounds. No buyers remorse here. Now onto the fun.

jumped on it while still in first (the 4.6 at high RPM has such a vicious sound).

I was very happy with my Bullitt's showing.
I heard all of that! :exclaim:

Cool story! :toocool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,350 Posts
I too was considering waiting for the 09 Challenger R/T but was totally annoyed & disappointed in my dealings with some of the local Dodge dealers.

Still think the new Dodge is a cool car, but while I've always been a Mopar fan (owned a 67 Barracuda among others) I've also always been a Mustang fan too and was excited when the current version came out in 2005. First thought was “I hope they make a Bullitt?”

Anyway so the question came up - why should I wait & settle for something less? I mean while the Challenger SRT8 has it’s advantages over our cars - it didn't really out perform the Bullitt in but a couple of areas and when it did – not by that much.

So my thinking is that the regular R/T (with the lesser 5.7L Hemi) probably wouldn't be that great and would probably be the lesser of the three vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,934 Posts
Mike (ohhh great, not another one... ;)) and Rob, both of you - welcome to the fold.

Nice to hear that you are both enojying the car. Personally, the more I drive mine the more I love it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,934 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
PERFORMANCE:

1968 Dodge Charger R/T________________2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt

Engine:
375hp 440 c.i. V8______________________315hp 281 c.i. V8

Axle ratio:
3.23:1_________________________________3.73:1

Weight
3970___________________________________3517

0-60 mph
6.5____________________________________5.4

Standing 1/4 mi.
14.9 sec @ 95.5________________________13.7 @ 103.0

Top Speed
156 mph________________________________151 mph

Source:
Car & Driver 11/67_____________________Ford 08
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,443 Posts
Palerider said:
PERFORMANCE:

1968 Dodge Charger R/T________________2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt

Engine:
375hp 440 c.i. V8______________________315hp 281 c.i. V8

Axle ratio:
3.23:1_________________________________3.73:1

Weight
3970___________________________________3517

0-60 mph
6.5____________________________________5.4

Standing 1/4 mi.
14.9 sec @ 95.5________________________13.7 @ 103.0

Top Speed
156 mph________________________________151 mph

Source:
Car & Driver 11/67_____________________Ford 08
Of course, this was with them narrow-arse-hard-as-a-brick 1967 F-70 Coker Redline bias-ply tires on the Charger, I imagine. (about the equivalent of a 205/70-15 radial).

Then again, they say the BFG's on the '08 Bullitt are a handicap as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
I had traded in an 06 Charger R/t with the 5.7 hemi on the Bullitt and I will tell you that that was the best trade I made in a while.
I can tell you from experience that the Bullit will beat the Charger hands down. I thought the article was a little bias comparing a 6.1l to a 4.6l anyway. they should have compared a srt8 to a gt500 to make it more believable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
08Bullitt3472 said:
I had traded in an 06 Charger R/t with the 5.7 hemi on the Bullitt and I will tell you that that was the best trade I made in a while.
I can tell you from experience that the Bullit will beat the Charger hands down. I thought the article was a little bias comparing a 6.1l to a 4.6l anyway. they should have compared a srt8 to a gt500 to make it more believable!
I agree, but then they probably didn't want a Ford coming out in the lead for an article that was supposed to capitalise the Challenger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
08Bullitt3472 said:
I thought the article was a little bias comparing a 6.1l to a 4.6l anyway. they should have compared a srt8 to a gt500 to make it more believable!
I thought the same, why not compare the top performers for each make the srt8 vs gt500.

but even vs the bullitt the mustang does win one big catagory thats price srt8 tested at 40,208 bullitt at 34,860

for the performance diffrence thats alot of money srt8 ran 13.3 in the 1/4 mile the bullitt 13.6 (numbers from the article) how much faster would the bullitt be if you took the money diffrence and put it into bullitt performce upgrades?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top