Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Bullitts come with factory Platinum plugs
AWSF-32P, But the factory manual calls for AWSF-32PP. Called the dealer and they call for PM's . Did some research and we can use either the P the PP or the new PM or even the EE like the Cobra calls for. I went with the PP which are double platinum, electrode and ground. Defiently need a a variation of extensions when changing the plugs. Sears makes a set of locking extensions that are very helpful.
Side note on my installation, there was a rubber "REMOVE" plug that had fallen into #4. The absolute worse plug to see into, That I had to remove before the socket would seat all the way and engage the plug. Looked like it may have been used to plug some vaccum lines before hooking them up.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks Mid-Life, did you notice any difference?
for you gearheads, should we change our plugs?
(notice that i effectivly avoided any and all smart ass comments about PP? ...OOPS!)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey Mid Life, how did your pulled plugs look? AND...have you been using regular 87 octane throughout this time?

I've been meaning to ask someone that's changed their Bullitt's plugs if they've noticed any dry, white indications on the tips (or wet and dark "rich" fuel indicators, as the case may be).

The reason I ask is that I've heard so many people talking about the detonation "pinging" or "ticking" sounds coming from the engine (fuel rails?), and having others respond with 'try premium octane gas' to resolve the problem.

I, for one, am convinced that Ford screwed up by not having a separate BULLITT owners manual, or supplimental booklet, that would have for sure recommended something in the order of 89 or 91 octane for our machines.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,
Not a whole lot there to read with only 7500 miles on it. The plug with the most deposits on it was #1 and the one with the least deposits on it was #8 Here is a pic of them side by side.

They looked like they were all on their way to a nice even classic brown. They were all 6.5 ohms plus or minus .2 except one plug, it was 5.79.

It did seem to idle smoother but I would wait a tank full to see if that holds true, it could get better once the PCM adjusts to the new plug, or worse. Unfortunately I forgot to ohm the new plugs out before installing them. Maybe later I will pull number 5 out and ohm just for the heck of it. I would imagine it would be in the same ball park.

Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2001-12-02 23:28 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks Mid-Life, i was just curious as to what the benefits would be to changing plugs and what any potential drawbacks would be?
i recall earlier conversations about our plugs being fairly optimum for our engine/computer calibrations (other plugs would be too hot or cold for our engines the way Ford programmed them)and i wanted to get more feedback on this issue!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
From the looks of the plug insulators, it could be that those specks show signs of detonation. Is anyone else seeing this (it's very subtle)?

Mark

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-04 07:03, mjchip wrote:
From the looks of the plug insulators, it could be that those specks show signs of detonation. Is anyone else seeing this (it's very subtle)?

Mark

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. I am seeing and thinking the same thing. I am curios to what octane was being used here. I would like to see pics of plugs with around the same mileages from all octanes (87, 89, 91, 92, 93)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts