Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changing factory H-pipe for Mac Prochamber,,,

I have been thinking about the next mod for my Bullitt and wanted some input. The factory exhaust is made up of 4 sections,

1: Exhaust manifold/header
2: Midpipe with cats
3: Over the axle pipes
4: Axle back mufflers

This is not my first Mustang nor my first time modding one but I am trying to do my mods tastefully this time. I am looking for performance gains and have been reading some articles and installs on the Mac Pro-Chamber off road midpipe/H-pipe.

Article here->http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/10/mac/index.shtml

I am leaning on changing out my factory catted H for the off road Pro-Chamber due to the fact that it bolts up to the factory manifolds and axle back pipes. It would also allow me to go with headers down the road, although I would be limited to shorties it would allow me to piece my exhaust together without breaking the bank. I am very interested in the Magnaflow setup that many members have been using on this site but at close to $700 it would be cheaper to do just the H-pipe and still see a performance gain by removing the Cats. The stock Bullitt mufflers should sound alot better due to better breathing also.

I know shorties dont make near the horsepower the longtubes make but for me to swap to longtubes that would cost upward and over $1000 because I would definitely have to change to a midpipe to accomodate the longtubes.

Has anyone here heard or tried a Mac Pro-Chamber off road setup on their car and if so what do you think about them.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Flipflop. HERE IS WHAT I HAVE ON 0924. JBA SHORTYS CERAMIC SILVER AROUND 450.00 NEXT I HAVE THE PYPES HFM23 FROM BRENSPEED FOR 139.00. FINALLY I HAVE THE BORLA STINGERS AXEL BACKS 460.00. THE HFM 23 IS O/R NO CATS. bUD IF YOU WANT LOUD THEN THIS IS THE SET UP YOU WANT. EVENTHOUGH THE FORD CATS FLOW GOOD THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE O/R H. FORGET THE X PIPE HAD ONE ON SOUNDED TERRIBLE TO ME. I HAVE A SET OF KOOKS WITH CATTED H PIPE BUT WILL NOT PUT ON UNTIL EMISSION TEST. YOU WILL FEEL THE HP DIFFERANCE. THAT O/R H IS A HELL OF A DEAL FROM BRENSPEED. BBK ALSO MAKES ANICE SHORTY . YOU CAN SAVE A FEW BUCKS IF YOU DONT GET THE TREATED. STAINLESS SHORTYS GO FOR AROUND 350.00 GOOD LUCK JOHN

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would love to pull the trigger on Kooks but that would break me. I am not trying to be the loudest as much as I am looking for some extra HP. The Mac Pro Chamber is neither an X or an H but rather a box where two pipes enter and two pipes exit. Sounds interesting. I have seen this before throughout the years in different magazines but have never inquired about them until now.

Here is a quote from that article; "Unlike "X" type crossovers, Mac claims the pipes merging into a small rectangular chamber not only helps exhaust pulses scavenge the opposite bank (the pulses are 180 degrees out of phase in a 4 cycle V eight) but the gases in the chamber become hotter as the pulses merge, increasing flow."

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yes The Prochamber Is The Way To Go.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you buy an aftermarket H pipe can you get the plug with drilled hole inserted in it like the stock unit?

I am assuming you'd have to cut it in half, add the plug with the hole drilled in it and then re-weld. Correct???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts