Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will a spare off a 05-08 Mustang GT work which is 185 60-17 (donut)? I'm planning a long road trip next month and don't want to be stranded on the side of the road because of a stupid blow out or tire slashed on a road debri, and I don't want to spend hundreds on a stock bullitt wheel and have to hack off part of the plastic. I understand that a back flat will involve rotating one of the fronts to the back. Otherwise will this work? Also how off in size is the 185-60-17? Is there a tire that could be mounted to the 17" donut steel wheel to match the tallness of our tires? Thanks in advance!---I don't want to be up %$#@ creek in the middle of the mojave desert!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another option I have is to purchase an 18" wheel I've seen one for as little as 110 bucks and find a used half worn tire. A tire half worn might just fit in the wheel easier.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
NM-Bullitt-5106 said:
Will a spare off a 05-08 Mustang GT work which is 185 60-17 (donut)? I'm planning a long road trip next month and don't want to be stranded on the side of the road because of a stupid blow out or tire slashed on a road debri, and I don't want to spend hundreds on a stock bullitt wheel and have to hack off part of the plastic. I understand that a back flat will involve rotating one of the fronts to the back. Otherwise will this work? Also how off in size is the 185-60-17? Is there a tire that could be mounted to the 17" donut steel wheel to match the tallness of our tires? Thanks in advance!---I don't want to be up %$#@ creek in the middle of the mojave desert!
Yes, that will work. As long as the differently sized tire/wheel is on the front then you are safe (other then really crappy handling and speed restriction...).

As far as a properly sized space saver spare, there has been quite a lot of discussion regarding this. It has been a while since I paid it any attention, but if memory serves a 17" donut from a Marauder is very close to the correct size and should be ok to run on the rear. There was also a discussion of a skinny regular tire that could fit on a space saver rim, in the same thread. I'll see if I can find it for you...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So is the Marauder the same thing as the Escape just Mecury? Also is there other ford cars that would have the same jack & tool roll as the Mustang?

Ah the nice part about American mass produced cars; some parts interchange and theres so many your bound to find stuff somewhere!:smile:

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
I may be asking the obvious, but is the spare tire donut and steel wheel combo weigh less and is smaller in size than going with the full size OEM Bullitt wheel tire and tire? If correct, how much less in weight? Then the rear trunk area is kept intact w/o cutting...

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Mike ,I have the full size spare in my trunk well with the cover and rug back on and I did'nt have to cut a thing. Just let some of the air out of the tire and it fits in the well.All you do is put the rear bumper end of tire in first and just let the tire drop into the well. I have the jack under it as well. I keep the compressor to add air to it should the need arise.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
first ford said:
Mike ,I have the full size spare in my trunk well with the cover and rug back on and I did'nt have to cut a thing. Just let some of the air out of the tire and it fits in the well.All you do is put the rear bumper end of tire in first and just let the tire drop into the well. I have the jack under it as well. I keep the compressor to add air to it should the need arise.
Rick, are you useing the OEM size Bullitt wheel & tire combo? Seems I remember some threads posting fit issues in the wheel well, thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts