Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Ford dealer checking to see if they were interested in installing cams and when I left the check engine light came on at 3300 miles and stayed on. Checked all gauges and they were normal so I drove it home. Fuel mileage was still where it should be on the computer readout so I was not concerned about it dumping fuel into the cats and ruining them. I am 1/2 way through my first tank of Premium as I have always ran 87 Octane prior to the tank of Premium. Got out my trusty Innova 3100 OBD2 code scanner and hooked it up and damn if it wouldn't read the code! The thing works on my wifes Honda, but not on the Bullitt (CAN protocol). I decided to disconnect the battery for about 30 min. and reconnected the battery after that time and the check engine light stayed off. I may have detected a slight miss at idle, but other than that no problems found. I will report back if the light comes back on. If it comes on I will have O'Reilly's read it before I take it to Ford. Posting this just for information.:confused:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
:-?

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arkady001 said:
Could be just a engine management system glitch that you've already solved by doing that good old computer 'immediate-action-drill' - switch it off then switch it on again... lol
I hope you are right. It's been raining here and too muddy to take out the Bullitt and see if I fixed the problem. Hate to take it to Ford, but I will if necessary.

·
Registered
110 Posts
check to insure you gas cap is on tight.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NickChildress said:
+1 Gas cap.
The gas cap was the first thing I checked. DTC is P0308 misfire at number 8 cylinder. I removed the coils and spark plugs both from number 8 and number 7 cylinders and compared them by visual and resistance checks. Both appear to be good. I reinstalled the number 8 coil to the number 7 cylinder to see if DTC moved to the number 7 cylinder and it did not. I either have a fuel system or ECM problem. I have made an appointment with my local dealer (not selling dealer) for Monday. I will post the results of this service visit when the car is repaired.

Oh by the way, the new style sparkplugs are really easy to remove and replace. I think I could change plugs in about 30 minutes!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Was the dealership you visited busy with work?If not the may have sabotaged your car while you were inside talking to them,Things are kinda slow and business is business:badgrin: :smile:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
onefastbob said:
The gas cap was the first thing I checked. DTC is P0308 misfire at number 8 cylinder. I removed the coils and spark plugs both from number 8 and number 7 cylinders and compared them by visual and resistance checks. Both appear to be good. I reinstalled the number 8 coil to the number 7 cylinder to see if DTC moved to the number 7 cylinder and it did not. I either have a fuel system or ECM problem. I have made an appointment with my local dealer (not selling dealer) for Monday. I will post the results of this service visit when the car is repaired.

Oh by the way, the new style sparkplugs are really easy to remove and replace. I think I could change plugs in about 30 minutes!

I know that there was a spark plug discussion in another thread. My local club passed around this TSB today on removing the problematic broken plugs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.