Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving around in the B last week going to the bank with my woman. I hear a clunk under the car. I tell her that I have been hearing clunks lately and that something is going on. I've also been smelling something when I get off the highway, like an herby sausage. We're heading back home from the bank and the CEL comes on. I get home and plug in the code reader. Four codes come up, all related to intake manifold runner control stating that it is stuck open. Figuring no big deal I continue on an errand to a friends house a couple miles away. He is a mechanic at Ford and suggests I stick my head in there and maybe jiggle the linkage to see if that will fix the problem. I pop the hood to do so, and well, I found the problem:

You can see there in the last pic why the linkage was jammed. There were a couple plastic bags back there and some nest type material too. I was visiting the parents over the weekend and I saw squirrels carrying these things at their house too. I need to find out where they are coming from. This CEL stuff was all on Thursday. Friday I go out at lunch and pop the hood. I need to find out if they came from the parents house or work. I find a few more nuts under there and chaulk it up to the fact that I cleaned out the engine bay in the dark. I again remove everything I can find nut wise from the engine bay. I check again before I drive home. More nuts in the engine bay. I start parking a couple hundred feet from where I usually park. Today I get home and smoke is coming out from under the hood. The M-F'er has wedged another fruit right by the collector of the passenger side of the exhaust manifold. I have to jack up the car to get rid of the smoldering thing.

This squirrel has a death wish. What would Steve do?

·
Registered
761 Posts
That is freaking unbelievable!!!That don't look like any nuts I've seen before.I think it's time to go squirrel hunting.All I can say is get ready for a rough winter.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
I had the exact same problem last fall with our Ford Edge and our garage. We have walnut trees on our property and last fall the small red squirrels started hoarding them in our garage (not the normal sized brown ones). They must have stored about 500 of them in my work bench cabinets alone. They also started storing them on the intake manifold of our Ford Edge. One day my wife was complaining about the engine running very rough. We took it into Bill Brown Ford. They found that a squirrel had chewed through one of the injector harness wires. It left a walnut as a calling card. The Edge is parked outside and the Bullitt is in the garage but they didn't mess with it. I started setting rat traps and basically eliminated any red squirrel within a 1/4 mile radius. I caught 10 of them before things quieted down. This year the walnut trees aren't bearing any walnuts so I'm safe until next year. I have only seen one red squirrel so far this past summer. I've hung the 10 tails outside my garage door; I think he got the message :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Dave,
That is the most incredible thing I have ever seen. Trust me, us native Californians don't even recognize that type of thing.....

Brings a whole new meaning to the "nut behind the wheel".....

I thought I read somewhere that somebody that had their car in storage ended up spreading mothballs...(hold the jokes boys) under the car, and solved this issue......Hell, I don't know, all I have to worry about are cats and opossums....

Mike

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Acorns, man.

Also, something about a new-cars wiring that attracts them to gnaw on it.

Kill 'em ALL.

Nothin' but fuzzy-tailed Rats. I throw rocks at people I catch feedin' the Rats in the Park.............

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
MustangLynda said:
soy based products may attract them?
Dunno. Might.

My theory is that "new" wiring is more-susceptible to damage, as it's still emitting VOCs, and they smell it and investigate - as all Rodents gnaw to wear-down their teeth, they will naturally chew on anything they investigate.

Lemme say, shorts across bare-wiring are a cast-iron &!*<# to fix, 'specially when you didn't know what was up, and had the vehicle towed to a Dealer to fix the problem under "Warranty" (which DOESN'T COVER that damage).

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
MustangLynda said:
ok, I know it's not really funny but.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I gotta go with Lynda on this one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not funny but it is.
Now I got to check under my hood. I've got plenty of squirrels and a lot of hickory nuts and acorns no more than 30 feet from 0075. :eek:
But I do have two cats on patrol in the yard.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Q. This squirrel has a death wish. What would Steve do?

A. Clean out his garage so he could park in there? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
YIKES!

·
Registered
930 Posts
That's priceless...lol

I'd go with the mothballs and/or camphor sticks scattered in the garage/under the car...

Alternatively sit out in the yard with a 9mm Luger...more sporting than a rifle with a telescopic sight, plus I like to go 'retro' with my firearms...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BB2008 said:
Q. This squirrel has a death wish. What would Steve do?

A. Clean out his garage so he could park in there? :rolleyes:

The car is kept in a climate controlled garage when I am at home. I have heat, A/C and humidity control in my garage so it is very well taken care of. There are no rodents in my garage. This is happening at work where there is no garage to park in and no cats or guns to control the squirrels.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Arkady001 said:
That's priceless...lol

I'd go with the mothballs and/or camphor sticks scattered in the garage/under the car...

Alternatively sit out in the yard with a 9mm Luger...more sporting than a rifle with a telescopic sight, plus I like to go 'retro' with my firearms...

I have been wanting a LUGER for god knows how long ......

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Those have been some active squirrels. Funny, but not funny. Hope you get it all taken care of.

Uh-oh! With this post, I broke the server. Am I going to get charged for that? :lol:

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
texasbullitt said:
CONGRATS DAVID , ON BREAKING THE SERVER ( 5,000 POSTS )
So I've had 5000 worthless things to say, huh? :wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts