Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check Engine Light came on today with only 880 miles on it. My dealer has Saturday hours so I stopped by to see if they could read the codes and at least see what it was. Yeah right... Bring it back on Monday.
Owners manual (Wife read it, not me) Says the light may go out after three cycles (Cold starts) if the same problem does not exist. And that to check the gas cap and it could be bad gas. Well I am 3/4 through a tank so I doubt that its bad gas or the cap.

not wanting to wait for the cold starts, I disconnected the battery to reset the brain. Least this used to work on my 95 EC-V I think it was. Any way any one else get a Check engine light and reset it yet? It seems to be running the same and MPG has been up each tank full.
Thanks
<HR>
Several hours later.

My salesman called me back...after getting off the floor, he explained the check engine light is realy an oxygen sensor (I doubt if it is that simple but he felt good explaining it to me) and to check the gas cap. If it doesn't go out in a few days then bring it in. He said its yellow not red in color so keep driving the hell out of it and if I had not gotten a ticket yet then I am too conservative.

Side note... really neat when you hook the battery back up and start it up ALL the gages peg out slowly and then goes back to normal. Must be some type of check. So if someone asks if I have pegged the odometer I can say YES.

Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2001-06-16 20:54 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2004-11-15 10:23 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check engine light came on at 2100 miles and after three cold starts went out. Came back on at 2200 miles. Called dealer, took it in and they only had it for 4 hours. Replaced a DPFE sensor?

Anyone know what that is? Also I asked about the Chip upgrade and they flashed it. Put a sticker under the hood by the radiator listing it as a modification. PCM upgrade TSB 011203.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I found my own answer.

The most common thing to turn the check engine light on is a faulty DPFE sensor.This sensor measures the amount of flow through the egr valve.

Specs are .2 - 1.2 Volts and mine was .09
I thought the engine might be idling a little rough. Maybe this will fix it.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks Mid-Life, i plan to ask them to flash the upgrade on my computer also!

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK, I missed it, what does the Chip flash upgrade get you??

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw in an earlier post that Art Hyde had said the 01 chip set had some light pinging, almost so light that you would not be able to hear it, under light acceleration. SO this was to take care of it. I believe the post said after about a 1000 Bullitts they went to the next version 02.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I asked my dealer about the flash to the computer he said the only thing it does is retard the timing to get rid of the pinging. Mine's not pinging and I don't want the timing retarded because of performance issues. Decided not to have it done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts