Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am getting a check fuel cap message on the dash . So I checked fuel cap all good .Message keeps returning every ten minutes or so .How do I re-set this? I know on the Hyundai you open cap start engine ide a few minutes close cap message goes away. Any input will help.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You may need a new gas cap. But if you want to reset it just disconnect your battery for a good 10mins or so.

FYI-my jeep had this same issue for the past couple of years. We could never figure it out. Not to long ago it finally tripped a check engine light about running lean or it would trip a code related to the evap system (aka-the gas cap issue). Turns out I found a couple rotted rubber hose connectors in the engine that were allowing air to enter/escape the system. I'm not saying that is your issue, but ours started as a gas cap issue and we replace that thing about 3 times with no good results!!!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. inspected gas cap looks ok no cuts or dings on gasket surface still on warrenty if it persists will take it to dealership just thought there might have been an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Take it to the Dealer - might not be the cap at all; might be the pressure-sensor or possibly the filler-hose/Canister/Canister-hose is leaking.

It "assumes" that the cap isn't on tight-enough when it sets that code, as that's the most-common cause of the problem.

I would also make it clear to the Dealer you know about the proper cap-tension, and have checked and adjusted it multiple times - that way, they can give the car a closer look than "Oh yeah, just tighten the cap 'til it clicks. That'll be $50 please............"

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Scott thats my plan if it doesn't clear itself . right now shes under the cover due to snow so it will be a day or two before I can find out if it is still an issue. Topped off tank made sure cap was on correctly before I covered it so we will see.Thanks again for reply.

·
Registered
58 Posts
here's my experience with a few other vehicles... while the gasket looks ok, give it a good cleaning. I just wiped it with a micro-fiber towel. Do the same with the filler neck. On mos cars it takes a couple of start cycles to reset the light... that's my useless 2 cents anyways... LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
first ford said:
Am getting a check fuel cap message on the dash . So I checked fuel cap all good .Message keeps returning every ten minutes or so .How do I re-set this? I know on the Hyundai you open cap start engine ide a few minutes close cap message goes away. Any input will help.
Is it possible that you over filled on your last visit to the gas station? Some vehicles will set off a "Check Engine" light if you do.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I try not to top off the tank didnt last time still getting message as of todays ride . Very annoying to say the least . If it persists will get to the dealership this coming week. Thanks for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.