Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was an 09 I found in NC, it was from long island, which gave me pause. The body was straight and in very good shape, aftermarket headers and exhaust, new fuel lines, and A/C recently updated. 85k miles. serial 6330

I was concerned about the possible salt effect and there was some pretty severe surface rust and pitting on the diff cover and rear end in components. The power steering pump was nearly all surface rust and the intake manifold was covered in white powder.

Is this normal?

I'm not a Ford guy but did own a Mark III many years ago and like the 4.6L, We ran the engine and there was a hint of a knock that would be intermittent at idle, When I pulled the dipstick it was a quart low, and the sales guy said they haven't serviced the car yet and he will flush and service the motor and to come back in a couple of days.

At $15k, my instinct is to keep looking...

any feedback is appreciated.

Chris
Greensboro NC

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Keep looking(y)

Reactions: banzaibullitt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that's the one. In fact, there is a shot of the rear axle and the surface corrosion in the ad. The previous owner apparently worked a dealership and actually invested in newish components from the exhaust to new fuel lines to suspension, but must have given up as this was a pre-auction buy. Most hose clamps are rusty and it would take quite an effort to run through each system to make sure it's reliable. It's been run hard and the engine will need to be rebuilt/replaced at some point. And I couldn't road test due to the engine being at least a quart low in oil. Not to mention an unoiled cold air filter with debris in it and brown water in the expansion tank.
But if it was offered at half the price, the paint and body are in good shape and it may be worth a resto job.

·
Registered
346 Posts
if you want to do a resto job on the car, good for you.
keep in mind you will have significantly more $$ in the finished car than if you just bought a mint car in the first place.
if you are looking for a nice original s197 bullitt mustang my suggestion is keep looking.
now if you want to modify it to the max like my car is, and the price is cheap, $15K isn't cheap, then it might be a good car for you.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
It looks to me like it was definitely used as a daily driver and no extra care was given to it as far as trying to make it look particularly nice. The front caliper brackets appear to have been changed out (not powder coated like the stock ones), so it probably either has or had the larger/later rotors put on it (13.2" vs 12.6" stock). The surface rust on the rear differential is normal. They never painted them (a complaint of many people including myself), so they expect a layer of surface rust there. I'd be more concerned with the surface rust visible on the underside of the trunk. The sagging door panels is normal, along with a bit of wear on the driver's side bolster. The air filter actually just looks like a stock piece. They don't get oiled and after a few miles they get junk stuck in them. I think you're right about being in a salty environment. All of the rust and oxidation is pretty consistent with that. I also noticed that it's had 5 owners in 83k miles. Your assessment of needing to be cheap is a good one. I wouldn't buy it without the expectation of needing to sink a decent amount of money in it on top of the purchase price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts