Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a lot of bumper to bumper and city driving. Will a chromoly flywheel hold up to the heat without getting hotspots or warping? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BULLITT3629 said:
Its supposed to be better the steel or aluminum. Personaly I run Aluminum, I don't know anyone the runs a chrome moly wheel.
I was just curious because one was installed in #801 and I was wondering if it sustained the rigidly and longevity of the steel one. I don't want to have to pull the tranny to replace the flywheel soon. Will it hold up to Rikki Racer? Will it hold up to high heat? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, here's the dealio. The throw out bearing had been squeeling like a pig, so I figured with 67,000 miles we should just do the clutch thing. By the time you go in and replace the bearing you might as well shoot the works.

I'm a firm believer in if you find an honest shop it's worth it's weight in gold. The only problem is the shop is 135 miles away. I drop the car off on a Saturday, take the train (kinda expensive but what the hay). So I ride the bike all week with plans of picking up Maggie the following weekend. That's a whole week to "fine tune" things.

Now we ALL know there's not a shop that's 100%.I've been a mechanic all my life and I must admit I screw up from time to time.

I go to pick up Maggie and it takes all of about 10 minutes to realize somethings wrong. There's a vibration at a certain RPM that wasn't there when I dropped her off. I shlept the train back up to LA cause I'm not taking her the way she was.

I find out the company that turned the flywheel screwed up and didn't turn it true. Because it's not generally a good practice to turn it twice (especially Rikki Racer style!) I was offered a chromoly flywheel normally retailing $375.00 for $60.00 with labor.

After reading up on them I discovered they're the bomb for performance. However I don't know how they fair in every day traffic. Because they are lighter do they warp easier, hot spots? I just don't want to make a big mistake, and thought a Bullitt head could help a brrutha out. That's about it. Feel free to flame or offer constructive critisizm. Rock on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts