Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since this has been discussed. The port in my console in front of the shifter has been dead "forever". I have a wiring diagram, but have been unable to find time to pull the seat, crawl under the dash, and start probing around looking for the cause of the problem.

I don't think I'm the only one who's port is mysteriously non-functional. Has anyone actually diagnosed and fixed theirs? I'm getting close to finding time to attempt a fix.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Nope, mine has been down for almost 3 years.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
I blew the fuse in mine when I first got the car but that was all it was.
I use this a lot to power my ipod and it works fine.

Not sure if this helps or not but aftermarket cigarette lighters are higher power
and that is what blew the fuse in mine. As my lighter is for show I pulled the element out of it
so nobody could turn it on again.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The only thing I have had in mine is a vacuum cleaner.
Maybe the fuse IS blown.
I`ll have to take a look.
I almost never use it so, it hasn`t been a priority.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
The fuse blew in mine when I was changing the shifter. If I told how it happened everyone would shake their heads. (per Markus)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
When I bought #4507 three years ago, the cigarette lighter didn't work...Funny, the previous owner was a smoker(I'm not)....Anyway, took it to the dealer to fix and they said it was never plugged in behind the console...The service writer claimed the tech had a heck of a time pulling the console apart just to reconnect the plug......

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
rblack4405 said:
The fuse blew in mine when I was changing the shifter. If I told how it happened everyone would shake their heads. (per Markus)
Come on fess up I have had a bad week and could do with a laugh !

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Maybe one day I might tell, although my wife and a good friend of mine know it puked, I did not tell them why.

·
Car Whisperer
20,796 Posts
Pronkie1 said:
When I bought #4507 three years ago, the cigarette lighter didn't work...Funny, the previous owner was a smoker(I'm not)....Anyway, took it to the dealer to fix and they said it was never plugged in behind the console...The service writer claimed the tech had a heck of a time pulling the console apart just to reconnect the plug......
Nothing to it, that tech at the dealer must not have known what they are doing. I have had mine off so many times, I could do it in my sleep.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I just checked my fuses and visually they are all good, I don`t have a tester.
But, NOW I can`t get the #@$%& fuse cover back on ! ! !

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Hah!
Got it.
It helps if its facing the right direction.........duh! :confused:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
DragonBullitt said:
Nothing to it, that tech at the dealer must not have known what they are doing. I have had mine off so many times, I could do it in my sleep.[/QUOTE
You are right..I don't go to that dealer any more because on our Contour they refused to replace the cats under warranty...The Contour was within federal warranty and they refused to replace the cats...Went to the next town with a Ford dealer and they replaced them no charge.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
You know, once I wound up with a coin (penny) in the cigar lighter that shorted out the fuse. It took me a while troubleshooting to actually look down the opening and see the cause of the trouble.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doofus here...

I finally made time to crawl back under the dash last night to try to fix mine. The wiring diagram is extremely simple and it's either a blown fuse or a dislodged connector somewhere (there's only one).

I pulled the owner's manual to see which fuse was for the lighter. I used the little puller located in the cover to pull fuse #1. BLOWN!

I could have sworn I checked the fuse last time!

I've been going for a year or two with a dead socket for no reason! AAARRRGH!

The socket is designed for a lighter and not so much power accessories. If you look at how it's built, you can see how it can easily be shorted out if you plug in an accessory a certain way. The contact on the side of most plug-ins could easily touch both the hot lead and the grounding "can" at the same time. I'm going to change the socket out for one designed as just a power port, and not a cig lighter. They are different, and won't blow when the accessory is at "certain angles".

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More cigarette lighter tech

I bought a power port like the one in the console to replace the lighter socket up front. Besides being waaaay overpriced ($17.xx) it doesn't fit! The housing is different and the connector is different.

The part they sold me does not come with the plastic sleeve or collar that actually snaps into the console. I removed the collar from my cig lighter socket (no easy task) and tried to put it onto the new socket - no go. It's a different diameter and has different ribs on it for alignment.

The connector is quite similar, with the difference being an extra "rib" being on the opposite side.

So to do this "simple" swap, I have to also buy the plastic collar for the power port and either modify the cig lighter plug or get another power port plug somewhere.

It ain't as fun as superchargers or K-members, but it's what I'm dealing with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts