Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an area that is blessed with an abundance of Pine trees, that produce the nasty yellow pollen that covers everything. Does anyone have a routine that they follow in cleaning the engine and engine bay. I am sure I need to cover the fuse box, ECU, and air filter. Is there anything that I need to cover before using engine cleaner and spraying with water?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use Turtle Wax F-21 protectant in the engine bay after every wash. I wipe it on with a microfiber cloth.
I never spray the engine bay with anything. If you never let it get bad in the first place, you never have to do something that drastic.

I try to wash my car once a week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I try to keep mine wiped down everytime I wash the car. When I first picked up my Bullitt at the dealers, the aluminum had a lot of white corrosion spots from being left otuside and sitting on the lot for a long time. I cleaned it up using Formula 409, (I was told simple Green works also) and white scotchbrite and a stiff 1/2" bristle brush. The corrosion came right off and I used Mothers aluminum polish to get a little shine out of the smooth pieces like the vavle covers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the best thing to do, coming from working on these things for years now, is just get a moist cloth and wipe everything down best you can. you dont really have to cover up stuff, there are gaskets around damn near everything now. those PCMs are sealed up great with gaskets in the connectors as well as every other sensor and connector. the thing you want to avoid the most is letting water puddle up around the igntion coils. while the top of the boot acts as a gasket as well, water can still find its way into the plug well, and when it does causes the coil to arc out against the head, then causing internal damage to the coil, and there you go.

if you absolutely must hose it down, try to avoid the coils and the alternator, and when youre done dry it off best you can. some of that detailing stuff isnt the best either for the hoses and wire insulation, just be pretty easy with it.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
lightly wet the engine, use a 50/50 mixture of Simple Green, spray simple green mix on engine, let sit a few minutes and hose off. Use very little water when spraying. Wipe down with Mother's Protectant. will look good. I also try to cover electrical components, saran wrap will work. After washing start engine to dry. Small paint brush with also help loosen dirt and grime after spraying with simple green. I would advise doing this on a cold engine

·
1,488 Posts
:cool: Wow....I just go to the local car wash, once a month for the engine, once a week for the car...and wash it. Mist the engine bay with Armour All while it's still wet, dry the rest of the car and then take a sponge and wipe down the engine bay. Treated an Impala SS like this for 8 1/2 years and the Bullitt for the last 6 months with no ill effects....yet. BTW I do not spray water on the air filter direct.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
I think is is safe to use engine cleaner, Simple Green or other appropriate cleaner but be sure the engine is warm (not hot) when you do it. Allowing the engine to cool for ten minutes (after a drive) in warm weather should be good. Don't use a power sprayer to rinse and do take the car for a good drive in warm weather after cleaning to be sure all water and moisture evaporate.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I wipe all the rubber parts with 303 Protectant. Just wipe on and let sit for 30 seconds then wipe off, makes the rubber not attract dust.

I wipe the painted parts with a detail spray. Between wipe downs I use a swiffer duster, it's flexible and gets in small spaces, picks up dust without leaving any residue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mmdpg said:
I wipe all the rubber parts with 303 Protectant. Just wipe on and let sit for 30 seconds then wipe off, makes the rubber not attract dust.

I wipe the painted parts with a detail spray. Between wipe downs I use a swiffer duster, it's flexible and gets in small spaces, picks up dust without leaving any residue.
Thanks for all the tips, now I have to go and get to work, I am not worried much about the Bullitt, but the 04 F-150 is going to be a bear, I use it for everyday and it has been a while since the engine was cleaned, like 2004, I am sorry to say.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
For a full on engine detail, I spray S100 Total Cycle Cleaner over the entire engine bay. This includes plastics, rubbers, metals, painted parts, everything. Use 1/2" brush on stubbord spots. Let sit 2-3 minutes. Hose off with light pressure. Break out the leaf blower and dry the engine. Once dry, spray the entire engine bay with Pig Spit. Again, spray everything and walk away. 30 minutes later and you have an incredible finish on all parts. I'll then come back with Klasse AIO on the inner-fenders and other painted areas.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Call me lazy but I use, don't laugh, tire foam. Let it sit for about 5 minutes then run the hose over it and dry w/ a towel.

While I'm in here....I hate those darn aluminum valve covers and I'm kinda' scared to use Simple Green as I've heard horror stories on aluminum. My dads 04 Mach 1 has those non-painted valve covers and his look bad too...and it's only got 4K miles on it. Any suggestions for those VC's would be awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts