Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all use to clean the windows...I always seem to have streaks on the windows in bright sun....have tried windex, rain-x, and armor alls window cleaner...not thrilled with results of any of these.....any tips would be greatly appreciated. Any good tool to clean back window on the inside?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I clean the interior of the windows with the drying terrycloth cotton towel that I used for the outside of the car. The towel is moist, soft and it absorbs the haze from the window. No streaks if your car is clean and the towel was dried without a fabric softner, or softner in the washer. Also, no chemical residue from spray or wipe on products that you buy. Windows stay cleaner longer too!

Right 08_0067! Do this in the shade! Preferably in the cool of the morning, although above 70*F is good for some evaporation to do the final drying.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have very hard water and it leaves terrible water spots on my windows. Here is what I do:
1. I fill a bucket half way up with softened warm water from the house.
2. I dip a microfiber towel in the water and wring it out very well and wipe the windows.
3. I just follow up with a dry microfiber or terry cloth towel to dry it up with no streaks or water spots.

I do this in the shade so the water doesn't spot on me. I have found this to work better than any glass cleaning product. good luck...

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
This is the way the (Professionals) do it .................

Matt Cook said:
What do you all use to clean the windows...I always seem to have streaks on the windows in bright sun....have tried windex, rain-x, and armor alls window cleaner...not thrilled with results of any of these.....any tips would be greatly appreciated. Any good tool to clean back window on the inside?
Matt,

Beware,

"NEVER" !!!!! Use the Method below on (Tinted-Windows) :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Here is what is used in our (New Car Detail Dept) to get rid of (All Haze Etc) on the windows.

You spray the Window Cleaner on and then Caution !!!! take Triple O Steel Wool and go over the (Complete) Window, then simply wipe it back off.

This is what the Professionals do !!!!!!!!!

Try it and You will Immediately see the Results of your New-Method !!!!!!!!

This is a Reply I just looked up for You regarding Cleaning Stubborn Windows.

Answer
There are basically two methods used to restore damaged glass of this type.

One is chemical action. The other is mechanical action. You have tried some chemicals. The acid based ones, by the way, are better than alkali based ones (vinegar; orange products; even Coca Cola is an acid). There are of course stronger acids that you could use but with extreme caution for your own safety, the safety of your paint job, and even the glass.

My suggestion is to try mechanical action. The mildest mechanical action first is best. Steel wool is often used to buff out glass in the window cleaning profession. Steel wool is graded with zeros. Four zeros being one of the finest grades on the market going down to one zero which is too abrasive and probably will scratch the glass. I have often used the triple zero (000) grade steel and never had a problem with it. You may think a plastic scrubby pad will be less abrasive, but you may actually scratch the glass if you use the wrong grade. Yes, 3M (and most other companies), use a grading system where color, not zeros is used to identify how abrasive a product is. The least abrasive color is white. If you want to use a plastic scrubbie, only use a white pad, anything else probably will scratch the glass.

Again, my suggestion is to use large circular motions on the glass with triple zero steel wool. You can either do this alone or in combination with (acid based) chemicals.

There are other chemicals and abrasives that you can use to buff out your stains. One good place to look is in a window cleaning supply house. There are several of them on the Internet (J. Racenstein, ABC Window Cleaning Supply, Colker Company, Detroit Sponge, etc.).

Just read and follow the directions carefully.

Sincerely,

Robert Lamb
Window Masters
www.robscleaningservice.com
Try it, it works I do this Myself !!!!!!!!!!

Terry (tigerhonaker)

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Nobody uses newspaper anymore, huh? :lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
For the tinted insides of my windows, I use a product called Sprayway and a very soft microfiber cloth. The Sprayway is what my window tinter recommends and uses.

For the non-tinted outsides of my windows, I'll sometimes use Windex and newspaper. Something about the newsprint that really makes them spotlessly clean.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Sprayway or Invisible Glass cleaner, microfiber cloths, good microfiber cloths. Target has a couple of decent microfiber cloths. Clean in shade and on cool windows. Remember to change cloths when they get a little dirty. No streaks, happy Bullitt owner you will be.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to use Rain-X on all my motorcycles and cars windshields. I now use a product called Plexus. Over time Rain-x will cause a fog or delaminate plastic motorcycle windshields and helmet face shields. Don't get me wrong, it is a good product, but last year I noticed an issue on my BMW K1100LT windshield that my dealer has attributed to Rain-X. Remember our headlight and taillights are plastic.

Since most windshields are now a laminate (thin plastic type material over glass) I switched to Plexus on all my vehicles. It seems to last about as long or a little longer than Rain-X. You can use it on the inside glass as well. Works very well on our headlight & taillight lens covers. Repels water and makes cleaning easier.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html

A good microfiber cloth or a cloth baby diaper (yes - very soft & no lint), as mentioned above NO fabric softner when you wash them. Mild soap or detergent and second rinse cycle to get it all out. Low to Med drying temperature. Replace them after awhile when they show wear.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have been using Sprayway glass cleaner with good (Bounty) paper towels. The sprayway glass cleaner is amazing stuff. But you really have to work the paper towels into the inside corners of the front and rear windows to get rid of the smudges. And for the rear window, you had better be a contortionist to reach those corners.

I have a question. Does anyone else have a problem with the inside windshield fogging up at the bottom middle when it rains? The defogger doesn't seem to help that much. It could just be the change in temperature this time of year along with the humidity along with a small closed interior space. I applied some RainX on the inside of the windshield and will see if it helps.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I always turn the aircon on in rain - especially in the winter - it acts as a dehumidifier, especially if you select the 'recirculate' button as well...
Plus it's a good idea to turn on the aircon for 30-45 minutes every month whether you need to or not - recirculating the coolant helps prevent hose rot.
As long as the cabin temp guage is set correctly it won't get cold unless you want it to...

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
bullitt4428 said:
For the tinted insides of my windows, I use a product called Sprayway and a very soft microfiber cloth. The Sprayway is what my window tinter recommends and uses.

For the non-tinted outsides of my windows, I'll sometimes use Windex and newspaper. Something about the newsprint that really makes them spotlessly clean.
I would never use Windex on a cars windows. Inside or out. Too corrosive to whatever it lands on. Especially plastic.:eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rain-X did make a Anti-fog glass cleaner. Not sure anymore since I switched to Plexus...

Griots Garage has this to help you clean the back window glass:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/interior+detailing/window+cleaner+set.do

I bought one and it works great! There are other's out there with similar tools. They also have some nice wheel cleaning brushes and other stuff. Get the extra cleaning pad refills.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts