Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you all use to clean up your calipers? Mine are really dirty and are covered in brake dust. I don't know if I should use brake parts cleaner because I'm afraid it'll remove the paint. Also, what paint can I get to touch up my calipers? It appears at some point somebody ran some skinnies or something up front on 4415 because the very edge of the front calipers have the paint worn off.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
itsabullitt said:
What do you all use to clean up your rotors? Mine are really dirty and are covered in brake dust. I don't know if I should use brake parts cleaner because I'm afraid it'll remove the paint. Also, what paint can I get to touch up my rotors? It appears at some point somebody ran some skinnies or something up front on 4415 because the very edge of the front calipers have the paint worn off.
I used citrus orange spray and a toothbrush. It worked really well but there were still a few spots that I couldn't get unless I removed the calipers. That will get done over the winter, right now I just want to drive the car....John R

Edit-You said rotors-Sorry about that...On the rotors I used scotch brite pads, they do a great job of removing surface rust on the pad contact area and also the hub area.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh! I meant calipers not rotors. I corrected it. Thank you for the response I'll have to give it a try. Anyone know what color paint is on our calipers, or what color is a good match? Mine don't need to totally be redone, but I do need to touch up a few spots.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
itsabullitt said:
Doh! I meant calipers not rotors. I corrected it. Thank you for the response I'll have to give it a try. Anyone know what color paint is on our calipers, or what color is a good match? Mine don't need to totally be redone, but I do need to touch up a few spots.
I think this has the Ford part number for touch up paint for the calipers....Check this link...http://www.bullittarchive.com/7018.htm

·
Registered
798 Posts
The link that MaineBullitt gave you has the paint code so you can get touch up from Ford. I got some a few weeks ago, think it was around $11.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'm gonna rotate tires on Wednesday before the trip to the Nat's and figured I'd get some ideas on cleaning up the calipers while I have the tires off. No time for paint, but I'll at least get them cleaned up.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
"Orange Blast" will clean ]em right up! Not caustic and better than soap and water. Available at any Kmart, Walmart or auto store.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
Instead of buying the Duplicolor caliper paint kit (which is great for changing colors on calipers) I bought some Duplicolor touch-up paint. The color is Cardinal Red. Great for minor touch-up.
I've seen that product but wasn't sure if the color would match, is it pretty close to the color of our calipers?....John

·
Charles
13,299 Posts
MaineBullitt said:
I've seen that product but wasn't sure if the color would match, is it pretty close to the color of our calipers?....John
I don't know that I would consider it perfect for a low mileage car like yours. When I touched up a few nicks on them I thought "oh know" but when it dried I couldn't tell any difference from three or four feet. I think it matches well.

I used the small touch-up bottle. The caliper paint they sell may be a different type of paint, I'm not sure. Mine have been done for a couple of weeks and have survived a car wash and the heat. I doubt I need to worry about peeling.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
I don't know that I would consider it perfect for a low mileage car like yours. When I touched up a few nicks on them I thought "oh know" but when it dried I couldn't tell any difference from three or four feet. I think it matches well.

I used the small touch-up bottle. The caliper paint they sell may be a different type of paint, I'm not sure. Mine have been done for a couple of weeks and have survived a car wash and the heat. I doubt I need to worry about peeling.
Thanks for the heads up on the match. As mental as I am about things I should probably get the Ford touch up paint. My O.C.D. would get the best of me if I thought the color didn't look just right.......:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Sure, just pull the wheel, spray on the orange or green cleaner and use a small wheel brush. With the wheel off and the car on a stand/block, it's easy to clean. You can also do a much better job on the wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts