Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed when I pull into my garage and apply the brakes there is a metallic clunking sound. It sounds as if it is coming from the right side but I cannot tell if it is front or back. I can't say if this happens everytime I use my brakes because road or wind noise is too loud, but when pulling into my garage, it is a very distinct clunk. No check engine or brake warning lights. No other noises noted. If you have any ideas what might cause this, please let me know so I can insure the dealer will fix the issue the first time. Thanks.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have the brake pads been changed recently? If the little clips on the brake pads are missing it will clunk? High mileage, ball joints/bushings?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No to new pads, recent work on the suspension, or work on the brakes. I have noticed that this clunk is intermittent and is defintely audible when pulling into my garage in first gear then applying the brakes. Sometimes I can get it to reoccur if I back up, place in first, drive slowly into the garage again and then firmly apply the brakes. The sound is somewhat of a loud click / clunk combination.

I am sure I will have to take it in to the dealer but my fear is I will not be able to reproduce it at the dealership. However, if I can get it to occur, it will definitely be audible to anyone sitting in the car. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
258 Posts
U Joints, will clunk when you load and unload them, forward then backward as the drive shaft turns.

As others here have said new cars are what keep the dealerships busy with repairs.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
neile said:
U Joints, will clunk when you load and unload them, forward then backward as the drive shaft turns.

As here have said new cars are what keep the dealerships busy with repairs.
Yep, I experience this. If you coast with the clutch in and then apply the brake, this will happen a lot. Brake first and then push the clutch in when possible.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, thats what usually happens. what do you think is making the noise when applying the brakes? I do not know if it is causing damage but I would feel better if the braking was silent. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts