Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clutch on my 97 V-6 was replaced shortly before I bought the car. However, it doesn't start to engage until it is approximately 3/4 of the way out. My Bullitt, on the other hand, starts to engage about 1/3 of the way from the floor.

Do I need a special tool to adjust it at the firewall? Which way do I turn the adjuster (clockwise or counteclockwise while looking at it?) Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Is it like the Bullitt clutch where you can just lift the pedal all the way up and then push it down again? Ours will self adjust that way.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rangerdoc said:
Is it like the Bullitt clutch where you can just lift the pedal all the way up and then push it down again? Ours will self adjust that way.
I don't turn that adjuster on the firewall? :confused:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Did someone install a firewall adjuster? If not, I would say it would adjust as the 01 would. Pulling up on the clutch pedal. Do you have an owners manual for the v6?

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rblack4405 said:
Did someone install a firewall adjuster? If not, I would say it would adjust as the 01 would. Pulling up on the clutch pedal. Do you have an owners manual for the v6?
I don't have a manual for it. How do you "pull" up on the pedal? I tried sitting in the car and sticking my foot under it and pulling it back, but it didn't seem to move.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Greg. I haven't done that to the Bullitt either, so I don't know what it would feel like. I'll try it on the 97 and see what happens. Should the car be running or not or does it matter?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
not running I believe, it is in the Bullitt owners manual, why do you think the clutch needs adjusting.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn't start to engage until the pedal is almost completely released.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
This probably doesn't mean much, but every clutch quadrant/adjustment problem I have ever had, it releases to close to the floor rather than too high. It sounds like the clutch may be about done.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
01GTB said:
This probably doesn't mean much, but every clutch quadrant/adjustment problem I have ever had, it releases to close to the floor rather than too high. It sounds like the clutch may be about done.
Clutch was replaced in Sept. 07 (I have receipt.) Either it needs adjustment, or the work was not actually done. That wouldn't be the first time that's happened, huh? I don't think I can take it back to the place it was replaced at, but perhaps the previous owner (Mach2) could do it for me.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have heard of a lot of Mustangs with the clutch releasing very high. In fact my son's 99 GT was like that. You can get a Steeda Double Hook Quadrant and Firewall adjuster so that you can 'manually' adjust the clutch to release where you want.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sganow said:
I have heard of a lot of Mustangs with the clutch releasing very high. In fact my son's 99 GT was like that. You can get a Steeda Double Hook Quadrant and Firewall adjuster so that you can 'manually' adjust the clutch to release where you want.
That may be the route to go. I'll do a tad more research before I spend the money though. It releases so high that when I get in the B now, I tend to stall it at first. Pretty embarrasing!

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rblack4405 said:
has the clutch cable been replaced
I doubt it. I saw the round threaded doomahickey on the firewall, and it looks like that can be adjusted in or out. No?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Try adjusting it, just remember how many turns you made one direction or another. This way you can put it back to its original place.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
If it adjusts like ours you will feel it ratchet when you pull up with the top of your foot.
Hi Greg,
I hope thing s are getting back to normal for you and yours.

Should this info about clutch adjustment be added to the archives?

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Also,
If the friction point seems to be lower than normal and does not respond to the technique mentioned above, what then?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
You can get a Steeda firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant to replace the stock self adjusting clutch quadrant. Mine went bad and with a little aggressive shifting the pedal would be almost all freeplay. Replacing the stock one with the Steeda pieces allows you to adjust the clutch how you want it and it stays.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts