Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound strange, but has anyone had their clutch quadrant slip off a tooth while the car was parked? I haven't used 3213 since Saturday, but as I jumped in this morning, fired it up, and took off I noticed the clutch pedal was catching much lower to the floor than normal. What gives? I tried adjusting it per the manual a few times in the driveway to no avail. I drove it to work and finally got it to adjust in the parking lot when I arrived. Has anyone had a simliar problem? I'm pretty easy on the car so I can't imagine I twisted or bent something. If it happens again I may consider getting the Steeda adjuster--from what I can tell it seems to be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have not had that problem, but.....I just installed a new CF DF Clutch and I cannot powershift and it sometimes grinds when going into 1st gear.

After a lot of reading, I have found that the Plastic Quadrants with the auto adjust is OK for standard clutches but tends to bend when using it with a heavy duty clutch.

I have the double hook steeda quadrant and the firewall adjuster and I also got the Quick Relaese steeda Quadrant. It has only a single hook but a steeper ramp that causes the clutch to release quicker. This should solve my speed shifting problem.

Also, FYI, most peeps say to use the Stock Ford Cable as opposed to using the steeda aftermarket adjustable cable. They say the Stock Ford Cable is stronger. But this depends on preference and need for adjustment degree. With the stock Ford Cable and the firewall adjuster you can still adjust it. Put that with the Double Hook Quadrant and you have more adjustment degree. I can't imagine you needing more than that but if you did, then you could install the steeda adjustible cable and you would have three adjustment possibilities with the double hook Quadrant. 2 at the Quadrant, the firewall adjuster and the cable end itself.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi Brian,
Yes, mine did that a few weeks ago. I came out of work and pushed the clutch in and it wouldn't go down enough to even shift into gear. I thought I might have pulled up on it accidently when I got out or something. I got up under the dash and was able to adjust it enough so I could get home and adjusted it properly later. It was strange.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Kevin, how did you adjust it by hand? Did you just pull up on the pedal as indicated in the manual?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Mine got to the point that if you clutched real fast it would slip and you would have almost all free play with just a little bit of clutch at the very bottom. I finally installed the Steeda double hook quadrant and firewall adjuster and have not had a problem since. My son's Mach 1 started doing the same thing so we replaced his with the Steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster also. It's a pita getting the stock quadrant out, but well worth the hassle.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can pull up on the pedal, but if you want a little bit more engagement. Go under the dash, find the quad. Where the two pieces meet, push up, you should hear an audible click. What that does is take out the minor slack that is in the cable. Makes for a better shifting life.

Chad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts