Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that mostly Bullitts are discussed but I wanted to drop a little tidbit of info. I keep many of my car books (I have a feeling that most of you do too) and came across a July 2000 issue of Motor Trend where they talk about two test mule Cobras; one dubbed the Cobra Jet with the Lightning motor in it, and the other dubbed the Cobra Competition, with a tweaked 4.6 DOHC in it. Now being that there is supposed to be a jump in horsepower for both the GT and Cobra in the 2004 models or earlier, the Cobra Competition seems the next step for the Cobra. Same engine used in the present Cobra with the addition of freer breathing heads, a new magnesium intake manifold with dual 80 mm throttle bodies, factory installed headers and 14 inch Brembos all the way around. The only suspension mod of note was the addition of Eibach springs and oh, NO IRS; just plain live axle. 380 HP and around the same amount of torque; 3.27 gears with a 5 speed, not a 6 speed and the thing ripped 4.4 0-60 and 13 flat quarters at 109 mph I think. (I may be slightly off on the mph but the 13 flat is right) Once we pay off the wonderful cars we have now, we have something to look forward to in the Ford/GM war to do some Vette hunting later. Be nice to get something from the Ford factory that you don't have to mod in order to kick a little M3 and Vette but. Remember ladies and gents, Maximas have 260 HP now, the WRX has all wheel drive now and will soon get the 276 HP engine, the Skyline GTR from Nissan is coming and the new Z car has a naturally aspirated 6 rated at 300 hp. (the Supra and the RX-7 are both coming back too) You may deem all rice burners (except the M3, that car is amazing) but if they can build a factory car that can damn near burn one of us, then Ford needs to answer the call for us....

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have that same magazine. From what I hear the next Cobra will be a supercharged 4V 4.6, the GT will still be a 2V, but with 285hp. They'll never build the CobraJet 5.4S/C. The Cobra competition intake pieces might actually show up in the FRPP catalog before the show up on a production car. (I think I've summarized all the current info regarding the next few mustang model years.)
Personally, I think they should keep the 4V na Cobra motor around to be put in Mach 1 and BOSS specials. Ford, are you listening? We bought the Bulllitt and we want more to add to our stables!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think it would be cheaper to charge one or use the heads and stuff?? from what i keep hearing about rings/pistons on 4.6 charged motors do you think that they still would? also the insurance on a charged one would be crazy...i do hear the same thing though about the supercharging of the 4.6 DOHC but I would not get a first year model. might turn out to be a headache. i've heard that first year Lightning models have problems...if the 4.6 is such a nicely balanced motor with good breathing capabilities, then Ford should just change some things to make it breathe even better or pucn it out to a 5.0 again. That's what Chevy is doing with the 5.7. The 385 and 405 hp Z06 motors are beasts and all Chevy did was tweak the motors. Hell, the LT1 and LS1 motors were virtually the same and they went from 285 hp up.....

·
Registered
309 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-29 11:36, ga01blkgt wrote:
Hell, the LT1 and LS1 motors were virtually the same and they went from 285 hp up.....
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh, not quite. The LT1 is based on the same small block design that's been in Chevy production since 1955, except that it has reverse flow cooling. Other than that, all cams/pistons/cranks that fit all small block Chevys fit the LT1. The LS1 is a ground-up redesign of the V8. As a matter of fact, the ONLY thing that the LS1 has in common with any other small block Chevy is the spacing between the centers of the pistons. Other than that, it's a whole different animal. :smile:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my bad. just going by the 5.7 monicker for the engine. did not know so much about the internals..appreciate the info..communication is a cool thing..you just might learn something new...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not a problem. Always glad to share a little info whenever I can. :smile:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Not sure if I missed something here, but what would happen to a Mustang if they put a Lightning motor in one? Would it fit? The HP and Torque alone would seem to be a killer combination for a car this samll.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in this article, that was the one dubbed the cobra jet. it did makes huge hp numbers but the motor made the car too nose heavy. just as in the cobra r, the hp is a little much for the chasis. (per car and driver; a great motor in search of a better chasis)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just out of curiosity would anyone know if the cobra 4v heads will fit on our blocks. I know the timing chain cover, etc. would be different, but I could never find any info on whether the head and intake swap would work or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts