Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the looks of the Bullitt and the Guts of the Cobra...the side scoops, rocker panels, lowered suspension, exhaust look so much better on the Bullitt, and especially the lack of a rear spoiler. I have decided to just buy a Bullitt and say goodbye to 4 valves. The cobra, in my opinion, has one item I like better...the Hood! I am 40, and prefer the understated Cobra hood which I think looks more like the Bullitt's other features (clean lines). I know this is in deference to 1968, but what do you guys think? I could put the components I prefer on a Cobra...i.e rockers, scoops, delete the spoiler option and get close..except for the interior. What do you guys (and girls) think?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I also don't like the look of the hood on my Bullitt. I know hood scoops were a big thing of that time. But in keeping with the tradition of the 68 car this is supposed to be a specific tribute to I feel that a more understated hood would be appropriate. There was no flash or flare about the 68 GT 390 in the movie. Just a plain car with straight lines. I was considering a 99 Cobra hood or a 2000 Cobra R. Anyone else have an opinion?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nah... climbing in and looking over and around that big scoop just makes the view ooze with power and coolness. Fufills a dream of mine to fire it up, feel and see the slight shake of the bulging scoop.... excuse me, I have to run home and get a Bullitt fix......
:grin:
Brian

·
Registered
24 Posts
actually, the Bullitt in the movie had the doube reverse hood effect that I really like. Very similar to what is on the 351 Saleen. I wish they had used that hood. That would have been sa-weet.

that hood (or a variant of it). oh, and its functional too (lets hot air out).

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
just turned 44 last week and have to say something about the big (fake) scoop takes me back to the early 70's and that's OK with me!
i think it would look more understated/sleeper with the Cobra hood and that would be pretty damn cool too!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had thought about putting a cobra hood on myself. The scoop is ok, but I'd like it better without. And it drips for a long time after I wash it. I stuck a towel there to catch the drips for a while, looked like it had a bloody nose =) heh

·
Registered
899 Posts
I could do without the fake hood scoop, make it work or leave it off. I'm waiting for the RAM AIR and Superchargers to become reality for these cars, then I'll mod!

BTW: for the runny nose after the wash, put a towel up against the scoop grill and gently left the lip of the scoop, you'll be amazed how much water runs out...

Rarecat

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
The hood on the Bullitt is the only thing I have in question. One day it seems that the hood scoop is mild and then other days it seems like its too much. At some angles you barely notice it and at other times it looks like a VW bug setting on the hood. I think I may have opted for something a little less.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm beginning to like it...I think it says to the person sitting in front of me, "GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!"

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I love the hood scoop on my Bullitt.. It may not be true to the original car but it's got that agressive, mean and nasty look to it.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i look at the Bullitt pic ( all 4 wheels off the ground in SF) on my computer screen all day at work and i've gotta say that the fake scoop looks pretty "mean" in that pic!!! i think people that look in their rearview mirrors probably get a little "impressed" too!

2001 Bullitt DHG #648

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-06-28 16:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
I, too, wish the hood scoop were a little more understated. I understand why Ford did it - the Bullitt is a limited production run version of the Premium GT. The Premium GT has the bigger scoop. If you're going to put something that big on the hood, why not make it functional?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have found after washing Bullitt 5122 I open the hood and let the water drain which helps the runny nose syndrome. I also like the Cobra Hood better. I understand about the past but in the past it served a purpose. On this one there is no purpose. I don’t plan on changing mine because it would not be original.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also personally like the way the hood scoop looks regardless of functionality. The Cobra looks way to plain without it, like I said the Cobra has nothing over the Bullitt except the extra power. Speaking of which what are the pro's and cons if any about supercharging ( adding a blower, ram charging , etc ) the Bullitt, also what's the approximete cost ? Do Ford dealers do it and if not where should I look to get it done, also what manufactures of equipment or parts is recommended ? and How much extra HP will you get from doing the above. One more thing does the hood or the scoop need to be modified to support a charger or blower?
Just wondering, I think I'm still in favor of keeping it all 100% stock knowing the purist that I am ! :cool:

aka Krankiekat

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BullittRocKer on 2001-09-01 10:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
166 Posts
I love the hood on the Bullitt.To me it`s the best looking factory hood on late model Mustangs.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I also think the Cobra hood is a little too plain, and I am no youngster. :smile: Would have liked it functional though. :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt4995 on 2001-09-03 21:05 ]</font>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts