1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always thought that this noise is PISTON SLAP

Ford knows about the PISTON SLAP noise.

The service mgr at the my dealership has heard it. Said "yep, they all do that"

Every Mustang 4.6 I have heard does the same thing.

The service mgr. has added it to my file as an issue. It is in writing that ANY internal problems will be covered under waranty. No matter how many bolt-on parts I have.

I have heard 2 4.6 motors with forged internals. GUESS WHAT?!?!?!? No noise.

Does that mean that forged internals is the solution??? I don't think that one can make that statement based on only 2 motors, but it must mean something.......

Finally, it really doesn't matter to me cuz I am going to install forged internals this spring. I look at it like this: Ford sold me a pretty good starting point as far as the engine goes. Now im going to take it upon myself to build it the way I want it. I'm going to choose the parts I want. Torque every bolt myself. And transform it into something that everyone thinks Ford should've built in the first place. The problem that Ford has, is that if you build an engine like this, it tends to get a little pricey..........And that cuts into the bottom line. I do believe that you should not have to go through what I am doing to be happy with your engine. But I have just decided to take matters into my own hands (and checkbook!!) Good luck to everyone, whichever way decide you handle these problems.

just my 2 centz

gary

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm just waiting like everyone else is, to see exactly what is causing this noise. I will wait until my car blows up before I take it in for service. The noise doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car but in the long run, who knows. I have been able to reproduce the rattle/tick in neutral. while cruising down the highway, I put the shifter in neutral and rev the car to 4,000 let of of the acclerator and tag the acclerator several times and damnit, wouldnt you know, I can hear a slight metal to metal tick noise. BTW, I get about 150 miles to a tankful!!! anyone else with this noise suffer from horrible gas mileage. I do have 4:10's in the rear but I am easy on my car and drive 50/50 city highway.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Well said 01GT. Leaving your car at a dealership is about one degree above leaving it with a valet. A couple of my friends have had their cars wrecked while in the custody of the dealership and I guess we have all read the horror story of #4090 (if that's the right number) being totaled out by a service tech.

As long as mine is running strong and sounds good I am not letting any service monkeys touch it. My car had 2.6 miles on it when it was unloaded from the train. I know that because I was the one the unloaded it. It was hauled from the train yard to the dealership via auto transport. When I picked it up at the dealership it had 21 miles on it. Gee, it's not too hard to figure that the techs consider driving the new models a fringe benefit. I guess I was just lucky since my tech was a better driver than the one the wrecked #4090.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts