Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue upon cold start. Has only started happening the last few days. When I start the car first thing...it bogs / stutters for a second or two, and then jumps up to the proper cold start idle of 1500 rpm or so. Almost felt like it wasn't going to start this morning with the stuttering.

Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
water in the fuel system from bad gas?

That would be my first guess, burn down that tank and fill from empty using the good stuff from a reputable station. Lately I've been running 94 Oct from Mohawk and is working great for me. If I can't find that I'll go with 92 from Shell.

Like I said, my first guess. and something easy to do.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it's fuel related. I have ALWAYS stuck in 94 octane fuel from Chevron from day one. I am thinking it is more something related to cold start...not sure if there is a separate injector for cold start, or solenoid...going to research. Car is going in on Friday anyways to get checked out.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
blacksun said:
I don't think it's fuel related. I have ALWAYS stuck in 94 octane fuel from Chevron from day one. I am thinking it is more something related to cold start...not sure if there is a separate injector for cold start, or solenoid...going to research. Car is going in on Friday anyways to get checked out.
Be sure to let us know the outcome.

Is what I described that was happening to mine similar to what yours is doing?

I've been burning nothing but 91 octane Shell V-Power fuel for the past five tanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
take the car to your dealer. they can do a fuel sample and check for calibration
updates. can be caused by idle air control as well.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'd blame a bad IAC (Idle air control) valve but you'd need over 100K miles for them to normally start to wear out/get dirty and I am guessing you have no where near that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was maybe thinking idle air control as well. Car only has just over 6000 kms on it. We'll see what the dealership comes up with.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Galaxie64 said:
I'd blame a bad IAC (Idle air control) valve but you'd need over 100K miles for them to normally start to wear out/get dirty and I am guessing you have no where near that.
This car does not have an idle air control valve. One of the many cost saving benefits of electronic throttle control.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
blacksun said:
... We'll see what the dealership comes up with.
Did you get an answer to this yet, or are you still waiting to get it looked at?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
master tech said:
take the car to your dealer. they can do a fuel sample and check for calibration
updates. can be caused by idle air control as well.
Thanks Guys...You just fixed my 2002 Ranger...This truck was my Son's for the last two years. I have been using it as my daily driver for the last 2 months...Noticed the idle was crap...It has 107,000 miles on it... This past weekend I put plugs and wires in it...Still a problem...Was headed to the Oxygen sensors (No Idea why I thought that but oh well) and seen this thread...Sorry not trying to steel it just wanted all with Ford Products to think about this as a possible solution to a problem. Thanks Again...What a great site for finding answers to not only Bullitt issues but Ford in general...

I hope you find an answer to your Startup question. Again after seeing this thread I started my Bullitt and it did have a millasecond where the idle dropped but if I wasn't listening for it would have missed it all together...Almost like the computers catching up with the fact it has been started...

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Bulldog1964 said:
Thanks Guys...You just fixed my 2002 Ranger...This truck was my Son's for the last two years. I have been using it as my daily driver for the last 2 months...Noticed the idle was crap...It has 107,000 miles on it... This past weekend I put plugs and wires in it...Still a problem...Was headed to the Oxygen sensors (No Idea why I thought that but oh well) and seen this thread...Sorry not trying to steel it just wanted all with Ford Products to think about this as a possible solution to a problem. Thanks Again...What a great site for finding answers to not only Bullitt issues but Ford in general...

I hope you find an answer to your Startup question. Again after seeing this thread I started my Bullitt and it did have a millasecond where the idle dropped but if I wasn't listening for it would have missed it all together...Almost like the computers catching up with the fact it has been started...
Unlikely to be the oxygen sensor for a cold-start issue: As a general rule-of-thumb across all mfgrs, the ECU ignores any feedback from those sensors until the O2 heater-circuit indicates the sensor is warmed-up. Several minutes, at least.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I got to thinkin' about the cold-start issues. A few things that could cause the problem are;

Fuel pump (weak)
Fuel-pressure regulator/bad check in the fuel pump (bleeding-back while the vehicle is sitting, and allowing the pressure to drop off causing hard starts)
Temp sensor (failing sensor tells the ECU the engine is warmer than actual, hence ECU doesn't inject enough fuel on cold start)

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. There are other things that can cause a cold-start problem. But, I only do this crap for a hobby - I'm not a certified tech.

You really need to have someone put this thing through diagnostics - it'll have to be an overnight thing, and the scanner needs to be on the car and booted-up BEFORE the engine is started. You'll only get one or two "real" cold-starts per day, depending on ambient temp.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had this similar issue for awhile and was debating on taking it in since it was intermittent, but then it quit doing it and hasn't come back in several months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts