Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you might have ideas for what this noise is. I know the audio isn't great, but hopefully it can give an idea of the noise I'm hearing on cold startup. It's a ticking that goes away after probably like 10 seconds, although I think you can hear it once you get driving at about 17 or 1800 RPM until it thoroughly warms up. Injectors? Exhaust leak? Valve noises? She's got about 80,000 miles on her now. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls7xOmZFYAE

If it's not processed yet, check back in a few...I don't really know how long this stuff takes...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
sounds like typical cold engine lack-of-oil kind of noise... not a mechanic but i think Lucas oil stabilizer and such like that are specifically formulated to address such issues... the fact that it goes away so quick makes ME (IMHO) think it is just cold start noise, not an "issue" to worry about... hopefully more chime in quickly...

shaun

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm interesting, I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic for a couple oil changes now, and I did just read something about how maybe synthetics are better for newer engines but can't "fill the spaces between moving parts" as well as conventional oils. Who knows.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like one of the lifters leaks down after shutdown. Probably a lifter starting to stick. They are hydraulic and when operating, maintain valve lash. They fill with oil to do this. It may soon continue to make noise all the time. You may be able to free it by adding an upper engine lube to the the system....

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
RenegadeBullitt said:
Sounds like one of the lifters leaks down after shutdown. Probably a lifter starting to stick. They are hydraulic and when operating, maintain valve lash. They fill with oil to do this. It may soon continue to make noise all the time. You may be able to free it by adding an upper engine lube to the the system....

me think so also.... my CVPI has been doing it for YEARS

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
What filter are you useing? If you are not using a motorcraft filter a regular filter may not have that flow back valve to hold the oil in the filter. So every start up it has to refill the filter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dont worry about it. Its normal... Just dry camshafts waiting for some oil. The 10 seconds satisfy the cam needs for some oil :smile:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have only used motorcraft filters on the B. My olds, I once tried a carquest oil filter and every cold start the oil light stayed on longer then usual. So I changed it back to a acdelco and the light would shut off right away. The motorcraft filter is worth a try.

·
Registered
61 Posts
BullittZeke said:
Dont worry about it. Its normal... Just dry camshafts waiting for some oil. The 10 seconds satisfy the cam needs for some oil :smile:

that statement couldn't be farther from the truth:-(

it IS NOT Normal and needs tobe addressed, either wth the use of a different brand of oil filter, switching to a 0W20 weight oil or opening up the engine for inspection....

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
It isn't normal, but it could just be a little wear. My old 5.0L did something similar, for about 100K miles. I never did find out why, I sold the car without ever finding out. I was told by one tech that it was piston slap, another said lifter leak down, another said to take the engine appart...

I am with them ^^^, try the inexpensive route first, obviously. And go from there as you see fit, money allowing of course.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have heard the same thing about the Motorcraft oil filters before. They have a patented valve inside that is supposed to be superior to other filters for Ford cars. Not sure if that is true or not though. I have only used Motorcraft filters on my car since new. Only have 28k miles on mine though. It's worth a try. Then you can go from there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well if it's piston slap I agree, its NOT normal. But on cold starts it taps for about 10 seconds and goes away, its nothing to worry about. Oil is thick when its cold outside and it takes the oil pump a slight bit longer to pump the oil to the top of the engine. Every Mod engine ive had tapped slightly and went away... and they all ran STRONG!:cool:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Mine dont make noise like that even if it sits for a month. I dont drive it in the winter though. My mark VIIIs sit outside in the winter and cold starts are fine no noise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts