Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we look to the 2000 model year GT's and compare the diference between the 2 engines, maybe we can pin-point where the noise is coming from. I have not heard of any 2000 GT's making this noise, so it must be the diferences from model year 2000 engines and the 2001, 2002 engines. 2001's have higher compression ratio, diff. water pump. Cant be the intake because GT's have a diff. intake than the Bullitts. You guys can see where I'm going with this.......anything else anybody can add?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was going to start a new thread about this problem but, maybe I can add to this. Part of diagnosing a car problem is to ask the customer about driving habits. So, I am going to ask this>
1. How did you break-in your car? Did you break it in slowly like keep thr R's down and not get on it for a given amount of miles?
2. Did you 'get on it' from the start?
3. If you answered to #1, did you change the oil at 500-1000 miles?
4. Where do you do most of your driving, in the city (stop and go) or the country, mainly highway driving, very little stop and go?
5. Do you run through the gears quickly. Do you run through the gears slowly.
6. Do you have the kind of knocking, ticking noise that has been discussed here?

These don't represent all questions that could be asked, just what I could think of off the top of my head. Just want to get a survey so maybe a little analysis can be down. :grin:

·
Registered
198 Posts
The engine plants were switched in late 00 TO Romeo Mich FROM Windsor Canada. I think this applies to GT & Bullitt ONLY.

The Vics, F-SERIES, expys etc are still from Windsor--i believe. Don't ream me if i'm wrong on that account, but i'm certain that the 4.6 engines in the 01&02 GT and bullitt are from Romeo plant.

As far as break in, i may have taken it to extremes as far as how easy i was on the car.

car didn't see 4k rpm till i had 500 miles on the clock.

I've got a new engine and this problem developed within hours after i left the dealer; therefore it was present initially.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2002 GT 5-spd. Absolutely no ticking or any other abnormal engine noises. Changed oil at 500 miles (5W20). Took it easy during the first 1000 miles for break-in and have NEVER revved above 2000RPM until the engine is completely warm. Chevron 89 always, no pinging at any RPM or under any load condition.
I wish that someone would record this engine noise that they are hearing and post it so that we that don't have this noise can maybe help diagnose this problem. Question: would your computer throw a code if the upper or lower O-ring on the fuel injectors were not properly seated? Seems to me that normal injector noise would be applified if they were not seated properly. Fixer is on his second engine, so that almost rules out piston slap. Is the noise then coming from the T3650? Mine is quiet. But then again I never speed shift and always hesitate through neutral when shifting until she warms up a bit. I know what detonation sounds like, and would give a dollar to hear someone's noise recording, if possible.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Drove my car like a little old man. :smile: Did not get on it until 1000 miles, and never red lined it. Oil was changed at 700 miles and again at 1900 miles with Motorcraft 5-20 oil and Motorcraft filter. Car has been driven very little highway miles, mostly all around driving. Noise is present all the time, even when warmed up, but not as prominent.
Will we ever find out what is causing this noise? :roll: It is damn aggravating, not to mention embarrassing. Are we supposed to have all these problems with a new car? :mad: I was a loyal GM customer but switched to Ford thinking they were better, but after all these problems, I can see that Ford is WORSE then GM. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I am disgusted.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't believe we are having anymore problems than another car might have that has a new edition added to the line-up. Bugs usually crop up on new models and our Bullitts are no exception. Since the engines are now built in a different plant, Romeo plant versus the Windsor plant, the processes may have some differences. The bottom line though is even though the Bullitt is a limited edition, it still has to be classified as a new model edition to the line-up. So, we are going to have more bugs in our cars than a car model that has been around for a while. The fact that one changes from a GM to a Ford or whatever will not gaurentee a bug free car. It's just ufortunate that our Bullitts may suffer from a major engine defect. Thank God I don't have the evil knocking noise as of yet (knock on wood again) but, I do have some other issues with the car that will get taken care of and that I consider normal type bugs derived from the new model thing. :smile:

·
Registered
198 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-30 20:00, NV02GT wrote:

Question: would your computer throw a code if the upper or lower O-ring on the fuel injectors were not properly seated? Seems to me that normal injector noise would be applified if they were not seated properly. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

You can hook an engine hoist to the injector rails and lift the motor out by those alone they are on there so tight. I'll buy everyone on this website a 12 pack (if you drink) if it is in anyway related to the fuel rails or the injector noise (not to be confused with incorrect calibration).

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
Is the noise then coming from the T3650? </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Well thats the next most expensive thing these amateurs could replace...

it is actually a possibility. A stretch, but a possibility.

I know what detonation sounds like, and would give a dollar to hear someone's noise recording, if possible.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Well this noise is not EXACTLY similar but really close to detonation. It sounds like really bad detonation. It sounds like a marble being dropped on a countertop.

Were not talking ping here; the infrequent tinking noise one hears on occassion.

Detonation: uncontrolled (literally) ping. Its ping in an unstoppable chain reaction.

Remember this is not the injector ticking that we already hear and know about. I have that too. its normal. it occurs hot and cold and is really audiable when your at WOT. Sounds almost like a muffled exhaust leak.

Tomorrow i'm having a little chit chat with the manager of the dealership where i bought the GT.

We're gonna drive: one automatic, two different manuals right off the lot.

If they make the noise, then i'll take whatever warranty they give me. If they don't make the noise then i'm getting my money back. They know they're looking straight down the barrel of the lemon law with this car.

Reason being: i'm not taking another chance that i'll be here in the same position with another car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the noise sounds like a vibration, almost like a clutch-flywheel design flaw from the late `70's chevy monza. I always get it whether the car is warm or cold, but only at higher RPM's and in the lower gears. Oh yes, and the damn 2nd gear issue is a bitch.

Greg

·
Registered
198 Posts
On 2001-12-31 01:03, gmorley wrote:
I think the noise sounds like a vibration, almost like a clutch-flywheel design flaw from the late `70's chevy monza.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I've thought it might even be a funny clutch noise.

but with it being load dependent and ford using the same basic clutch design since 1979..i kinda doubt it but anything is possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not reading about this noise from other Mustang owners of GTs--of any vintage- on other Mustang forums. It seems to be widespread amoung Bullitt owners only. This would suggest that whatever is unique about the Bullitt may be the cause of the noise.

The engine long block is the same as a GT. It is the same right down to the crank pulley.

The Bullitt has unique transmission and clutch and intake manifold.And I would suspect that the engine computer is unique to the Bullitt also. With all of the transmission problems that Bullitt owners are reporting--it wouldnt seem unreasonable that the transmission is the source of this noise. And it seems that multiple Bullitt owners are stating that this noise is most audible in second and third gears. Wouldnt this suggest that the transmission would be the source of the noise?

But then--GTs made after Feb 01 have the same transmission as the Bullitt--and there is no reports of this noise amoung Late 01 or 02 GT owners. And the late water pump change also occurred for the late 01 GTs.

Could it also be possible that the aluminum intake manifold of the Bullitt transmits engine noise more than the composite/plastic intake of the regular GT?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phoneman91 on 2001-12-31 02:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
198 Posts
there was a thread on stangnet.com about this noise along time ago.

My car is a GT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fixer:

I dont remember any thread about engine noise as described here at the bullittclub. There may have been a thread sometime ago at stangnet.com--but you would have to admit--there isnt as many GT owners reporting this problem as there are Bullitt owners--and Bullitt production is just a fraction of regular GT production.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I still think it is the fuel injectors. But the noise I hear is a perfectly timed ticking noise that does it from start and increases in speed proportional to the RPM. My car is a 2000 GT.

·
Registered
198 Posts
On 2001-12-31 02:39, phoneman91 wrote:
fixer:

I dont remember any thread about engine noise as described here at the bullittclub. There may have been a thread sometime ago at stangnet.com--but you would have to admit--there isnt as many GT owners reporting this problem as there are Bullitt owners--and Bullitt production is just a fraction of regular GT production.

I totally agree.

Here is the thread. Notice how one guy says "i have this noise..." and then everyone else says "yeah...me too."

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?s=ded876b9a511e32bda210a7038960b73&postid=748895#post748895

·
Registered
12 Posts
For the record, my 2001GT (late build) with the 3650 transmission has a bad case of the cold start rattling noise at around 3000RPM. Its especially annoying for me since the Canadian winters can get pretty cold and it can take quite a while for the engine to finally get warmed up. I also have the ticking noise (from the injectors?) ALL the time, and the notchy 1-2 shift...what a quality car!. These are definitely not Bullitt specific problems.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess the simple solution is make sure u have the Ford extended warranty and drive it until it drops!:) I live in chicago and have decided to drive mine in this freezing ungodly weather except when there is salt or snow on the road at least this way i can see how she handles in extreme cold weather,and I would rather drive it than let it sit idle... Ill keep you guys posted on any unusual engine noises i experience as for now she fires right up and takes off fine with no warm up at all! Thanx Havgun #1676

·
Registered
132 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm another late-build '01 GT owner with the exact same problem. As I mentioned in a post here on more or less the same subject, the noise didn't start in mine till about the 6K mileage mark.
As I plan to build a forged-internal motor for the car in the next year or so, I can only hope that it holds together in the meantime and that the new engine will not have the same problems.

·
Registered
198 Posts
On 2002-01-01 03:01, f0rd wrote:
For the record, my 2001GT (late build) with the 3650 transmission has a bad case of the cold start rattling noise at around 3000RPM. Its especially annoying for me since the Canadian winters can get pretty cold and it can take quite a while for the engine to finally get warmed up. I also have the ticking noise (from the injectors?) ALL the time, and the notchy 1-2 shift...what a quality car!. These are definitely not Bullitt specific problems.

Thanks for the info on your car.

Yes... the injector noise should be constant and get louder as your on the gas. Sounds almost like a muffled exhaust leak. This sound IS a clicking sound.

The noise everyone else is concerned about actually sounds like a serious internal engine rattle/knock type sound.

I'm starting to think that if we get a few more new members or cars with this sound we should make a new forum to log the complaints (for numerical purposes)and make some literature for the site explaining everything. This way we don't get people confusing the injector noise with this other rattle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fixer, didn't mean to confuse the issue. These are definitely two distinct noises and my engine has BOTH of them! I am not concerned at all about the ticking noise, its that evil rattling noise that I would most like to get figured out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts