Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Dad to ride in my 2001 GT so that he could hear the god awful ticking/scraping sound around 3,000 rpms. He thought I was full of crap about my car making the noise. He said that he strongly believes that it is the fuel injectors trying to pump fuel too fast because the motor needs more fuel than what they can deliver. He says that after the injectors warm up, the metal inside them expand allowing more fuel to flow through them and eliminating the noise. This is just his idea of what it may be. He completely ruled out detonation and piston slap??? WE have to find a cure for what ails our babies!!! Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I STILL say, "Is it possible to take a blow dryer to the fuel rails and warm them before starting the engine, and then take it for a spin and see if it's the rails afterall."

Does anybody think this might work?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm willing to try anything at this point.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm willing to try anything at this point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If its a fuel rail problem with too much fuel being injected into the cold cylinders, then how come it only makes the noise when the engine is lightly loaded? I still say its piston slap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is it possible we may be talking about two separate problems? #353 has what I think is very light piston slap (you have to really listen for it), when cold - above 3000rpm - under light load. The sound is more of a rattle than a ticking noise. Others have described the loud ticking noise under heavy loads, and have even pinpointed individual lifters that seem to offend.

Does anybody know what the Bullitt fuel pressure and injector size are? Are they the same as the regular GT, or did we get the cobra injectors? Could some people be stuck with different size injectors?

·
Registered
255 Posts
My ticking NEVER goes away. It is not as loud when it is warm outside and the car is warm, but it is ALWAYS pronounced. Right after the holidays, I am taking it into the dealer to replace two injectors that we think are causing the noise. I will let everyone know whether or not it fixes the problem. I have a feeling that it will.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You are talking about two different issues.

The EXTREMELY disturbing issue is the RATTLE...we all seem to have it on cold days at 3000 RPM almost exactly until the engine warms up.

It SOUNDS serious...whether or not it actually is, I have no idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SoCalBullitt on 2001-12-23 21:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too have a loud rattling sound at 3000 rpm that is getting worse. I took it to the dealer the other day and it didn't do it then. I even drove them around town and it was fine. They reflashed the computer to take regular gas. When I picked it back up later that night, it was doing it again.
The sound I'm having only seems to make noise when accelerating, even lightly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts