Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Partially because of the difficulty Brian is having with his insurance company I started to look into a collectors policy for #0005. I've checked with Grundy's and Hagerty's. From waht I gather they both prohibit participating in any timed event, i.e. me going to New England Dragway. What's the point of having all this horsepower if I can't brag about numbers generated on the strip? I would understand them not covering an accident while racing, but they both say they would void the policy if they found out. If I go trust me when I say I'm posting numbers, and probably videos as well. So the whole world including my insurance carrier will be able to see that I've been there. I could stay with State Farm, but they don't have an agreed value policy, only actual cash value which wouldn't begin to cover what it would take to replace #0005. Is there a legit way to cover our modified cars and still be able to drive them the way they should be? Help!!!Please??? John R...:confused:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Will State Farm cover you if you race?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you find out please let me know. Allstate definitely doesn't do it, contrary to what my agent told me.

And I am pretty sure no one will cover you at a track. But hell, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
rblack4405 said:
I have had this discussion with my State Farm agent here in Wisconsin and the answer is that they do cover me even if I race but I will not be covered on the track. Coverage only applies to normal day to day operations anything on the track is mine to deal with. He wanted to know if I had taken it to Road America I told him no but I did fess up to the drag strip and he had no issues with it at all. He just wanted to know how quick it was I said pretty fast but not as fast as some of the other Bullitts that are out there.

To answer the first question I have wondered the same thing but have not really put much effort into getting an answer.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rblack4405 said:
No, but as mustangwi says they will cover anything but that. My interpretation of Hagerty & Grundy is they will flat out void your policy if you participate in any type of organized event that is timed, or can be interpreted as racing. I don't get it, would they rather we stay on the street & go stoplight to stoplight? We are trying to do the right thing here and getting no cooperation. So it seems the choice is do we have full coverage but never get to enjoy the fruits of our labors and get real bragging rights, or do we only get stock Bullitt replacement value for our modified Bullitts and be able to publically brag about our on the track exploits? I don't know which way I'll go here...:question:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I know I've seen those guys on My Classic Car on TV always advertising for Grundy. But they seem to always show the guys with these cars that they insure running down the drag strip.

·
Registered
899 Posts
No insurance company in their right mind is going to insure non professional drag racing.....

Insurance premiums are predicated on risk....

You might find insurance that covers racing, but if you think your premium is bad now, just wait for that quote to come in...

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I've been an insurance agent for 23 years with AAA Michigan. Coverage is void for drag racing on or off the track, fleeing or eluding the police, or any felonious act using a motor vehicle. So if you wreck you're car fleeing the police after robbing a bank, you're screwed. Every insurance company is different and different in every state. Most insurance policies are now in plain English and easy to read and understand. I suggest you look at your policy. Here we will insure a vehicle for it's collector value as long as you have an appraisal showing it's value. We then insure it for that amount. I do not know if State Farm has the same type of coverage.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rarecat said:
No insurance company in their right mind is going to insure non professional drag racing.....

Insurance premiums are predicated on risk....

You might find insurance that covers racing, but if you think your premium is bad now, just wait for that quote to come in...
I don't mind the car not being insured for the 12 (or so) seconds I'm making the pass, but Grundys & Hagerty's both will void the entire policy if they know of a timed event. I'd be willing to take my chances at the track, I just want to be properly covered for the other 99.5% of the time I'm in the car.....John:cool:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
barry bullitt said:
I've been an insurance agent for 23 years with AAA Michigan. Coverage is void for drag racing on or off the track, fleeing or eluding the police, or any felonious act using a motor vehicle. So if you wreck you're car fleeing the police after robbing a bank, you're screwed. Every insurance company is different and different in every state. Most insurance policies are now in plain English and easy to read and understand. I suggest you look at your policy. Here we will insure a vehicle for it's collector value as long as you have an appraisal showing it's value. We then insure it for that amount. I do not know if State Farm has the same type of coverage.
I actually went & had the car professionally appraised for State Farm. After I submitted the appraisal they told me that they were sorry but they couldn't offer me protection for more than an unmodified 2001 Bullitt with or without the appraisal.
So I wasted the $125.00 for the appraisal since if I decide to go with Grundys they don't require one as they will verify the car & it's mods worth on their own. I may look into AAA around here to see if it's the same in Maine. This is turning into far more work than it should be, but I feel like it's got to be done...John :frown:

Edit--I just read an article written a few years ago in which one of the Hagerty family said that cars insured by them were not insured "while racing". I fired off an e-mail to them asking for clarification and will post here when I get a response. My original interpretation may have been bad and maybe they will actually allow coverage for a car that will be raced, just not while it is being raced...I'll follow up when I have more info...john

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Most of these collectable insurance companies only insure your vehicle for limit use...Going to car shows, club events, etc, etc....My experience was with Hagerty and I was not impressed....I went with J.C Taylor....This is on our 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE...The Bullitt is insured with Allstate....

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
MaineBullitt said:
I don't mind the car not being insured for the 12 (or so) seconds I'm making the pass, but Grundys & Hagerty's both will void the entire policy if they know of a timed event. I'd be willing to take my chances at the track, I just want to be properly covered for the other 99.5% of the time I'm in the car.....John:cool:
Most people would fib if they damaged their car at the track and say it was hit elsewhere. That's why there's no 12 second track exclusion.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
barry bullitt said:
Most people would fib if they damaged their car at the track and say it was hit elsewhere. That's why there's no 12 second track exclusion.

I just sent an application off to heacock Classic. They say on their website that they will not cover a car while on the track. This implies at least that they will cover it while not at the track. I will get this confirmed before I actually sign up with them.. Here is a link to their site..

http://www.heacockclassic.com/site/

Here is the section I mentioned above about the racing...
Driver Eligibility:
Each household member of driving age must have at least 10 years driving experience or be excluded.
Each household member must have a regular use vehicle less than 15 years old that is insured with liability limits equal to or higher than the limits being applied for on the collectible vehicle.
All licensed members of household and any other drivers of the vehicle must be listed on the application.
Maximum of two accidents or violations in the household, maximum of one per licensed household member in past 3 years. No major violations permitted in past 5 years.
A Driver Health Questionnaire must be completed for all drivers over 70 years old.
Vehicle Usage:
Autos we insure must be stored in a locked permanent garaging facility when not in use.
Autos we insure may not be used for commuting to or from work or school, used for business purposes or as a substitute for another auto.
Autos we insure are not covered while on a racetrack or when being used for: racing, speed, driver education, or timed events.
Looks promising, I'll advise as this progresses....John R :cool:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
My interpretation is they only cover autos used for pleasure usage. Interesting you must also own a garage a keep the vehicle there when not in use.

·
Registered
506 Posts
barry bullitt said:
My interpretation is they only cover autos used for pleasure usage.
I take "pleasure" in going to the track !!!!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
barry bullitt said:
My interpretation is they only cover autos used for pleasure usage. Interesting you must also own a garage a keep the vehicle there when not in use.
I think the key phrase that will require interpretation is this one...

Autos we insure are not covered while on a racetrack or when being used for: racing, speed, driver education, or timed events
Do they mean precisely while in the act of racing, or do they mean if the car is used at all for racing. I will pin them down on this issue....John R

1 - 17 of 17 Posts