Variable Cam Timing for
"Increased-Performance"

We Hear You !!!!!

The "THUMPR" COMP CAMS

T.H.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
hmmmm, very interesting. I nice set of these to go with my new Exhaust and Heads. Now I just need to find the right set of headers.

Now stop posting these Terry! You're giving me very bad ideas... :rotfl:

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lightning said:
hmmmm, very interesting. I nice set of these to go with my new Exhaust and Heads. Now I just need to find the right set of headers.

Now stop posting these Terry! You're giving me very bad ideas... :rotfl:
Hey Mike,

Here you go Pal:

Kooks Long Tube Headers W/High Flow Cats Complete:

And Don't forget these............
Recently Released KR FRPP Axlebacks:

Anything else I can do for "You" :lol: :lol: :lol:

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
After this I think I will go into gsrage and listen to my Thumprs

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
this is true, have read several articles and installs on these and the limiting of the valve timing. Comp Cams seems to be at the forefront on the 3v engines.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Oh Yeah..........THUMPER's for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
So, Terry, when are you coming to my neck of the woods with these cams? I know of at least one person here who could help with the install! :wink:

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
want to come to sunny FL and do one on a 2V? LOL

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MechanicMarc said:
So, Terry, when are you coming to my neck of the woods with these cams? I know of at least one person here who could help with the install! :wink:
Still

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Question: As I remember the hot rod lopers back in the day, the sound of their exhaust kept time. They held a steady rhythm. As I listen to NHRA dragsters and funny cars, they too hold a steady rhythm.
bah-dump bah-dump bah-dump.....

So how come these sound clips for Comp Cams and Ford Hot Rod Cams don't keep time? The left and right bank do for a bit but then migrate together, then separate into their bah-dump bah-dump again, then migrate together again, etc.

Can someone explain that please?

Speaking of NHRA did you notice the '10 "lazy eye" headlights on the Ford Mustang Funny Cars?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Charlie horse. Huge exhaust lobe that has early opening point. The large not only roughens up the idle sound .but more importanly the early opening point of the thumpr lobe bleeds of combustion pressure to get that pop and misfire sound.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
cpd0924 said:
Charlie horse. Huge exhaust lobe that has early opening point. The large not only roughens up the idle sound .but more importanly the early opening point of the thumpr lobe bleeds of combustion pressure to get that pop and misfire sound.
Thanx!

Is this unique to the 3 valve design? As in not quite the same balance of air flow as compared to a 2V or 4V?

I am familiar with the "5th cycle" where adjusting the cam timing so the intake valve overlaps the exhaust cycle. (The intake valve opens prematurely and 'grasps' some of the momentum of these exhaust gasses. This creates a vacuum or powered suction of the fresh fuel/air mixture thru the intake valve. This overlap increases HP at higher RPM's. As I remember...)

But I still don't understand why the rhythm would change since the cam timing at any particular RPM should be static.

IMO, not as good of a sound as the steady rhythm of the old lopers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great read.

I've been eyeing the XFI SPR "Stage 1" Cams since I plan on staying with the stock 3.73

The Thumpers sound great but I'm after maximum NA power gains.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Found this thread while looking for info on swapping the cam covers...since I plan to have them off, maybe a set of VSRs won't hurt. No question they void the warranty, however. I'd love to have 400 NA hp and roll up on a new SS Camaro in a few months.

·
Registered
407 Posts
NoCal Tom said:
Found this thread while looking for info on swapping the cam covers...since I plan to have them off, maybe a set of VSRs won't hurt. No question they void the warranty, however. I'd love to have 400 NA hp and roll up on a new SS Camaro in a few months.
Get the spr's, way better performance yeah you have to spend another 200, but it's worth it trust me. They are the ones i am going with and your engine will not sound like there are empty coke cans having a war in your engine compartment.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I just got a price for the Thumper cam turn-key (parts labor) $1500.00 does that sound about right. This is by Travis Franklin (GearHeads) in Arlington Texas. These guys have the best rep around the DFW area. I also saw on their web site ceramic coated long tibe BBK's with off road H-pipe $999.00 installed. I want!!!!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Snafu, Here is the deal on these cams. First of all there are 3 Thumprs. 1 Thumpr 2 Mutha Thumpr and 3 Big Mutha Thumpr. Check out Comp Cams web site for info and speks. Unless your going to change heads forget #3. Remember to buy the cam phasers. also the delete plates and pullys. You will also need a 93 octane tune, I have SCT I had Brenspeed do my install. Mutha Thumprs 645.00 Cam Phasers 179.oo Steeda delete plates 149.00 Steeda pullies 199.00. Sct tuner 379.00 Total 1551.00 Not counting install charge of 700.00 of all the above for Grand total of 2251.00. Also piece of mind I had it installed by wonderful people who know what they were doing. What Iam going to tell you now is more important then any thing i have said.GEAR GEAR GEAR.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts