Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the biggest bang for the buck for a basically stock Bullitt? I looking for maximum horsepower for minimum $$$$.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Me too.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No if we could just get someone that knows to give us an answer then we would really be rollin'

I have thought about using the Saleen Power Flash, but I don't know much about it.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
call Paul's High Performance in Michigan
i know of 3 members here that he has burned chips for. he knows the Bullitt engine better than almost anyone BUT FORD!!!
i know 3 racers(1 here in St.Louis and 2 in detroit) that he burns chips for.
i've heard a LOT of good things and only 1 bad thing ever about Paul!
517-764-7661
www.paulshp.com

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Saleen Powerflash is not a chip but a reprogramming (flash) of the computer. It requires you to have some downtime on the car while your computer is mailed back and forth.
I wanted a system that could correct the speedometer for my 3.73 gears at the same time as advancing the timing for higher octane (I opted for 91 onctane). This limited my choices dramatically as Powerflash and Superchip do not correct the 2001 speedos yet. I wound up using Dallasmustang's AutoLogic chip which was a relative bargain at $240, but the performance gains seem minor and the speedo is still about 10% off (in the other direction now).

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do you think that I would be better off getting a chip or some pulleys? Or a better idea for the price range?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why put pullies on a Bullitt????

Also, a chip is expensive compared to a cold air induction or O/R H-pipe. The only way to really take advantage of a chip is to have one burned while your car is on the dyno. Chips that are tailored to individual cars work much better than "generic" chips that you can get through the mail.

A Steeda Tri-Ax won't make any more horsepower but will make you think it's faster and more "racy".

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Ford stayed conservative on the pulley deal. I would go for a smaller crankshaft pulley. I have a PHP chip in my car,didn't see a noticeable improvement in strip times. However all these small HP gains can be hard to see on the track due to increasing traction problems. I think,if you plan on running the car a lot,gears and DRs would be the first major mod.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If you're looking for some set your ass back power, put some gears in it! You won't have the HP's but it will feel like you do. Especially if your running from light to light vs at the track. Drove a friends DHG today with 4.10s. WOW! big difference. I'm sure the Vortec helped but off the line power is where gears work the best.

I'm seriously contemplating 3.73s or 4.10s. Good news is it should only run you about $500 installed!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-24 19:06, h1resq wrote:
Drove a friends DHG today with 4.10s. WOW! big difference. I'm sure the Vortec helped but off the line power is where gears work the best.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Glad you liked it.
Yours was no slouch either.
BTW, the smile was just for grins. To be honest I'm really not sure what it is.
DHG Bullitt #05134
Vortech S Trim w/AFM Powerpipe
Bassani X-pipe w/cats
Steeda Tri-ax
4.10s
AIM 1.25" wheel spacers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Barnaby on 2001-11-24 19:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
12 Posts
I HAD TO DO IT-373 GEAR, MASS AIR FLOW, CHIP AND STEEDA UNDER PULLEY'S AND HECK YES I CAN TELL A BIGGGGG DIFFERENCE. HAVE NOT CHANGED EXHAUST YET. WONDER IF X PIPES WITH HIGH FLOW CATS WOULD REALLY MAKE A NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE? DON'T WANT IT SO LOUD THAT I CAN'T SLEEP WHILE DRIVING!!!!IS EXHAUST WORTH IT? DOES THE STOCK EXHAUST HANDLE THE NEED? PRETTY DARN FAST NOW!!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey Rome's Blue Bullitt,

When are you taking yours to the dyno, definetly like to see your rwhp #'s. I'll be soon to put a K&N filter and Bassanni X-pipe.

Max Cruz

Black Bullitt 3207
Black V10 Excursion 4X4
and an Old 92 Crown Vic

·
Registered
12 Posts
HEY BLACK BULLITT, FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK ABOUT DYNO- I HAVE LOOKED UP THE NEAREST ONE TO ME AND HAVE THE NUMBER. I AM ABOUT 60 MILES NORTH OF ATLANTA AND PLAN TO GET IT CHECKED OUT. MY NEXT BUY WILL BE THE BASSANI X PIPES WITH HIGH FLOW CATS.LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK WHEN YOU GET THEM. ALSO IF YOU GET THE K&N FILTER,GO AHEAD AND GET THE MASS AIR FLOW KIT YOU WILL LOVE IT.....DRIVE SAFE N HARD

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Dennis, I was just about to order a custom AutoLogic chip from Western MotorSports. I emailed them and they told me that their custom chip could correct my speedometer (I got 3.73 gears also). Why is your speedometer still off even after installing the AutoLogic chip? Did they do something wrong or is the chip just not accurate when it comes to correcting the speedometer?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I assume DallasMustang programmed it wrong, and they said they'd pay for shipping and fix it for me...I just haven't been able to get it off to them yet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I ordered my chip yesterday from Pauls High Performance. I talked to Paul and he was really informative. He said they have had the new superchip for a few weeks now that WILL correct the speedometer. I'll put the chip in at the same time I put in my 3:73 gears. He told me you will see an honest 8 to 10 hp, which is what I figured. Between the chip, the gears, and my CAI I should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-27 11:23, Bullitt4542 wrote:
I ordered my chip yesterday from Pauls High Performance. I talked to Paul and he was really informative. He said they have had the new superchip for a few weeks now that WILL correct the speedometer.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

So is this the Bullitt specific chip or just one that he custom burns? I know he was working on something for Bullitt only applications.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's a custom burn. He didn't say he has one specific for the Bullitt. I gave him my computer code and he'll burn it off of that. He said he's done lots of Bullitts, even raced one. Up until about 3 weeks ago, the Superchips couldn't adjust the speedometer on 2001's. That is what I meant by the new chip. Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts