Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading some of the posts and I am starting to feel a little worried. My Bullitt is in storage while I'm out of town. However, when I get it out I would not like to be greeted with (1) the bird chirp noise coming from the engine compartment at 65mph, (2) the f-'d up sound coming from the trans when its in the lower gears, (3) the reluctance of the trans to shift into second, or (4) the clunk from the drivetrain.
Would I be anal if, upon my return, I took my car to the dealer and had them go through it? I really feel for you guys who depend on this car for your daily transportation only to have your steed let you down. The payments on this thing tell me that Ford should be treating us like royalty.
I hope I don't end up disappointed with this car. I have been waiting for a Mustang for almost a decade. I hope i picked a good one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BACKNBLACK on 2001-10-10 11:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am feeling the same way, I have been waiting about a decade also and I keep reading all these stories....just a little worried. :sad:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Guys, that is only a handful of owners having problems with their Bullitts. What about the others that don't have any mechanical problems with theirs? We don't hear from those people as often as we do the ones with mechanical problems. I, for one, have not had any problems with 9000 miles on odometer right now! (Just had a few blemishes on the outside after delivery-minor). So think positive and don't go driving your Bullitt around listening for sounds that aren't there!

Vicki

·
Registered
153 Posts
The only way that you are never going to have any problems with your car is to put it in one of these plastic bubbles with the recirculating air motors and leave it there for 20 years and then sell it to a collector for a hell of a lot more money than you paid for it.But what's the fun in that! All things mechanical fall down and go boom once in a while. This I know all to well from owning way too many vehicles over the last 30 years! "I love my Bullitt and I will not let mechanical gremblins get me down". Just repeat this phrase 10 times every day and all will be well. Black Bullitt#1768

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well said Vicki, I just turned 1500 miles on #5290 and have been holding my breath all the time in fear. I have not had anything at all to report but fun,fun,fun, with this terrific automobile. Not as much as a hiccup out of the engine or tranny. I'm very sorry for those who do have problems, but all car manufacturers are as human as Ford, and let a few get out that aren't perfect. So let your hair down (and the throttle), and go eat some bowties.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hi Vicki,

When I first started reading these groups and the Blueovel news groups, I was thinking the same thing. That was until my dealer called me yesterday to tell me that 227's oil leek was two blown head gaskets. I spent 45 minutes talking with the service department about the problem and what's to say that the NEW motor will not do the same thing. They don't know right now, and that is one of the reasons that they want my motor back. My concern now is what happens at 20 30 or even 75 thousand miles? Will we start having problems again? Or will Ford end up doing a recall to fix a problem in the Bullitts? Based on how I have been treated at this point, I am very disapointed. My car will have spent over 2 months in the shop and Ford does not even want to give me a rental car. What's up with that? They are still taking my car payments? If this is how they treat me now when the car is brand new, what will they do when it has a lot of millage on it and both head gasketts are blow;-(...

Hopefully they figure out what is going on and fix it, but from this point on, I am not going to be as Happy a Bullitt owner as I was a week ago;-(...

Take care.

Bud Schroeder
Bullitt 227
http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/bulitt.htm

·
Registered
31 Posts
617 miles so far and not a single fault, not a one, nada, zip. No leaks, no rattles, no loose trim, no funny noises. And 19 mpg too :smile: The Bullitt so far is just like my 1989 F-150: Bullitt-proof. Knock on wood!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Perhaps one of the Ford parts guys here could look up the head gaskets and tell us if they are the same as for the standard GT. If they are the same partnumber then I guess we would all be in the same boat and not just a Bullitt boat as far as the gasket goes. Figure we have a better chance if it is common to all GTs and not just our 5582.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Consider that just about everyone that puts a post here is a bit on the anal side. Mine runs great and looks great. You have to keep in proper perspective that it is a complex piece of machinery and is subject to various flaws from time to time. You could have bought a new Geo Metro and experience the same problems, but you would not be having near as much fun. You have 3 years or 36000 miles to have those flaws remedied. Take her out, skin her back and have fun. Don't worry about the other stuff until it happens, if it happens.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Please everyone, don't ever think Ford doesn't care about their product. I've worked there for nearly 30 years, and we DO care what the customer thinks and wants. This is not the 70's and 80's where American car industries did not seem to care about anything but numbers, and profit. We (all U.S. mfg.) put our efforts toward quality and safety now. People are human, and a few bad ones get out, but they'll take care of it. Don't let a bad dealership sway you into thinking Ford don't care. They do not have the pride and concern sometimes that we (United Auto Workers, and management) carry with us. You can buy an import right now with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. Guess what? Its statisticly the worst car for repair in the world. Wake up America huh? This car company goes out of businees and they no longer have to honor that huge warranty. Sorry, I don't mean to ramble on, I just have a lot of pride in the American auto industry.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
1007, has only the spotted headlites and a replaced fan motor.... I have 3117 miles on him with only those problems..... I got the super duper Premuim extended service to 70,000 miles so I'm not worried at all. Oh by the way I got a rental car while the fan motor was replaced, took 2-3 hours to fix.... My dealer took regood care of me. Everyone at the service center treats 1007 like royality because he is a Bullitt

·
Registered
144 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-07 08:44, Jimmy Ray wrote:
1007, has only the spotted headlites and a replaced fan motor.... I have 3117 miles on him with only those problems..... I got the super duper Premuim extended service to 70,000 miles so I'm not worried at all. Oh by the way I got a rental car while the fan motor was replaced, took 2-3 hours to fix.... My dealer took regood care of me. Everyone at the service center treats 1007 like royality because he is a Bullitt

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

JR,

Who's your dealer?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Well here is another for all to think about....A guy at work has a 2001 GT,automatic,drives it normaly,no racing. At 7000 miles,the crankshaft broke at the No.7 journal. Ford is putiing in a new engine. Just happened with no warning. I am sure it was a fluke.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-10-07 08:55 ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-07 08:55, Jimmy Ray wrote:
Cavalier Ford in Cheaspeake

OK. They tried to tell me last Wednesday that the twisted shifter knob is normal. Now it's on order. Which service team took care of you? Have you seen the DHG sitting in front of the store, you know, the one with the straight shifter knob?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Well I've not had any problems, They tried to tell you a twisted shifter knob was normal HUH. Well maybe I need to pay better attention.... I don't remember which team I just drove in and said, "My fan is making noise". And they took care of the rest. Gave me a rental for about 2 1/2 hours, (that may have been a mistake).

·
Registered
466 Posts
My DHG #2879 has been in service for 3 months and 1,000+ miles with no problems. I also get disheartened hearing some of the problems with other Bullitts. Since 1989 I have had 5 new Ford cars/trucks and can count the problems I had with all 5 on one hand. I got a '99 GMC Z-71 Truck because I had heard good things about it and liked the looks and room. Huge Mistake! Truck has been in shop over ten times with many warranty issues. GM Customer Service was a joke. Had to go to BBB to get an extended warranty until the lease is up. GM has lost a customer forever. I'm sure Ford has its lemons now and then too, but my experience has been they are better than the other domestics.

I just remember the crap from the 70's and 80', remember the 180 HP Vette?, and am happy we can even buy a car like the Bullitt today. If some people had their way, we'd all be riding bicycles.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You know.....this is not a $60,000 luxury car. It is a "raw" car at best and that is what I love about it. No B.S....just lots of fun and a great sound. It takes me to work and home everyday and I always have a smile on my face. My only main problems are a defective headrest (actually it isn't even that bad) and the squealing brakes on the right rear (which isn't that bad anymore either). I am pleased with this car and I realize it is what it is....a Mustang but a little more special being the Bullitt. When you can get past the obvious, the rest is easy.

Now my 99 Lightning....well that was another story.....POS!

Paul G.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
On 2001-10-09 12:28, PBGas wrote:
You know.....this is not a $60,000 luxury car. It is a "raw" car at best and that is what I love about it. No B.S....just lots of fun and a great sound. It takes me to work and home everyday and I always have a smile on my face. I am pleased with this car and I realize it is what it is....a Mustang but a little more special being the Bullitt. When you can get past the obvious, the rest is easy.

Paul G.

DITTO!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Nothing wrong with my car at all. The transmission is notchy shifting into 2nd until it warms up but that's normal. After that it's fine. No squeeks, no rattles, no leaks, etc. The car's fantastic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: barry bullitt on 2001-10-09 16:54 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 37 Posts