Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I am not gay nor homophobic, but I have owned many more than 100 cars since I was 16. The Bullitt is the new first car I have ever paid off and if it were not for the brotherhood (sisterhood) and support of this club the Bullitt might already be traded.

How many other members can relate to being really drawn to cars at an early age. My parents tell me that I could name every car on the road when I was three years old. I have not missed an issue of Motor trend since 1975.

And on it goes...except for the Bullitt.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I have to confess......I am coming out of the garage. I have been into cars since maybe 6 yrs old! What really did me in,was a ride in a neighbors new 1965 GTO. This thing was a red convert.with the 3 deuce setup.It had the spinner wheel covers,and exhaust splitters. When those 3 deuces kicked in,my brain was fried forever! I was reading all those car magazines,learning all the option codes of all the Detroit muscle.I couldn't have a normal bike...it had to be a Schwinn StingRay,then the Orange Krate,which I still have.It kept on going,even affected my older brother,he bought a 66 GTO,then couple years later a new 1970 Hemicuda! That one really messed me up for good!! No cure for me,a gearhead till I die!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-11-24 19:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I'm the same way, Teddy. Ever since the car was invented, my whole family's been in love with cars.

With the exception of the '40 Lincoln my mom had before WWII and the '57 Ford pickup my dad had, I'm the first one to deviate away from GM products and go with Ford.

I will admit that when I was little, I could name every car on the road also and even taught myself how to drive on my mother's '65 Pontiac Tempest. (I used to sneak it out when she went somewhere.) :oops:

My first year in high school though, I could care less about cars. I was more into girls and motorcycles but soon found out motorcycles ain't worth a damn for drive-in movies.
It's an expensive hobby, cars, but cheaper than doing drugs. :smile:

Our family has always taken driving vacation

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Nasty,was that a 326 in your mom's 65 Tempest? My brother and I once talked my dad into letting us hook up a tach,in his 64 Pontiac Catalina,with 389. Told him it would help his gas milage,but really helped us out when we borrowed the Cat,to go to the strip just to watch,you know!! :grin:

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
No, her Tempest just had that little inline 6. Now her other car, a '62 Buick LeSabre had that Wildcat 410 with a Dynaflow.

That Buick really did move out and you never felt it shift. I took it to Orange County Raceway once, but they would let me race it because it didn't have seatbelts.

Remember, seatbelts were an option. :lol:

My best friend's mom had a '63 Coupe DeVille with that Cadillac 429 and he and I would drag race the two all the time. Sometimes he'd win and sometime I would. It was funny as hell, because they sounded like 2 vacuum cleaners racing side by side. :grin:

·
Registered
248 Posts
sitting in the back seat with my brother, peeking through the bucket seats of my dads 70 GTO and yelling "faster dad, faster" as the speedo screamed past 135 heading toward 140, has now delightfully been passed to my kids in the back seat yelling "chirp 2nd" dad!! Feels good, real good! :smile:

·
Registered
835 Posts
My parents were always into practical cars; however, they did buy a 63 VW Bug Conv. as a second car in the late 60s. I started my love affair around the 2nd or 3rd grade. Somewhere, they have a notebook in which I drew all my favorites or glued car mag cutouts.

My first car was a Mercury Montego with a 351C 2V instead of a musclecar because of my drive to and from college. I needed a little more space to haul my stuff. My forst new car was an 83 Mustang 5.0 GT Conv.
My Bullitt is the toy I always wanted to drive when I was a kid, the era of musclecars adorning the dealers' showrooms fresh from the factory.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,041 Posts
My obsession with Mustangs started when I was 18 (29 years ago) when I went out on a date with a guy with a California Special. Ever since then, I have always owned one (or 3)!

Vicki

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I'm also a car NUT.... Ever since my dad and Uncle Peston used to tell stories of street racing in the 50's and the cool cars they owned ....
I also remember going to the to Uncle Jerry's in Springfield Mo. for Christmas which was a hour away from the farm and counting all the mustangs on the way....
I also had friend whos uncle owned a Ford Dealership and all the cool Mustang toy's my friend had.... My Mom Bought a 68 Gaxlixe 500 from that Dealer, and being in the dealership for a repair I remember looking at a New Yellow 70 Mach1 and telling a sales person I was going to own 1 one day.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Some of my first memories are being at a racetrack on a Saturday night. My dad raced stock cars long before I was born. Then my older brother raced motorcycles. Then my dad, brother, uncle and a cousin all raced mini-sprints. I grew up with the smell of racing fuel and the sound of 20 motorcycles/race cars at wide open throttle for four hours every weekend. I grew up on a pit crew. I never raced, but always loved cars. My family knew all about race cars, I knew all about cars on the road. It's a costly obsession, but hopefully now that I have the Bullitt, I'll actually pay off a car before I get another one.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I got hook on car when my dad brought home a new 1968 Torino GT. 390 automatic
I was 7 year old
He purchases a 427 (yes a 427!) automatic but get this, they sold that car twice!
(No wonder I hate dealing with salesmen)
My dad was the second one to purchase it so he ad to chose an other one!
Then I when nuts about mustang when I meet a friend of mine that had a 1968 Mustang GT With a 428 CJ 4 speed, after that it was nothing but Mustang for me!
Biggest down fall for me is when lost my job and I had to sell my own 1968 Mustang GT to pay the bills. That 1968 was originally (guest what?) forest green 390 GT 4Speed!!!
My wife did not like the colour (it was dark blue when I bought it) so when I restore it I painted it aqua (I swear I wont do it again, I swear, I swear, I swear) you got to forgive me I only found out after I sold it that it was original green car!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can't remember a time when I didn't love cars! And now my 6-year-old son is the same way, he probably has more Hot Wheels than the total production of Bullitts!! :grin: :grin:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-24 18:20, tskatz wrote:
No I am not gay nor homophobic, but I have owned many more than 100 cars since I was 16. The Bullitt is the new first car I have ever paid off and if it were not for the brotherhood (sisterhood) and support of this club the Bullitt might already be traded.

How many other members can relate to being really drawn to cars at an early age. My parents tell me that I could name every car on the road when I was three years old. I have not missed an issue of Motor trend since 1975.

And on it goes...except for the Bullitt.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummmm, what's the connection between being gay and loving cars?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think what he meant by "queer" was different or unusual. I hear a lot of kids today say "that is queer" meaning "that's kind of unusual". It doesn't contain a negative connotation. So, I think he was using car queer to mean that it is unusual for someone to own that many cars in so short a period of time.

My interpretation, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The minute I got my hands on the wheel (15), I was a car freak. Mountain biking went out the window. Now I have pictures and posters of all kinds everywhere. As of next August, I won't be able to hang them up (only in the garage), cuz my future wife won't let me hang them in the bedroom. :lol: One freak I have been since I was 3 was an aircraft freak. The only thing that I like better than driving is flying. Started by sittin in my dad's lap when I was 3! :smile:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts