Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the same thermostat fits 96-01 4.6 liter mustangs, then it should be easy to find at places like AutoZone??

Am I just being naive?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would be concerned that the temp may be too cold. Most cars have to be up to a certain temp before going into closed loop fuel control. Typically, that is around 180F If you run below that, you may experience poor fuel economy. Actually, a higher temperature is more efficient up to a point.

Brian

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'd have to look further.
You want your oil to be hot enough to burn off the water. 160deg water temps might reduce the oil too much.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-04 11:41, FordBullitt wrote:
Actually, a higher temperature is more efficient up to a point.

Brian

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Efficient only from an emissions standpoint. A cooler engine means a cooler combustion chamber, which is better for both fuel efficiency and power. Also, a cooler combustion chamber lessens the possibility of detonation or pre-ignition, which means you may be able to use a lower octane gas, assuming you had some knocking or pinging to begin with. About the only downside to running a lower Tstat is your heater may take longer to warm up the car in the winter. This was true of my F250, but it was only a matter of a few minutes. & don't bet on finding them at Autozone, they're just as likely to give you one for a 5.0.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been running a 160 deg stat in my 1992 5.0HO mark 7 LSC for 249,500 miles. That's right 1/4 million. No leaks no smoke no burn. The car ran 16.5's with the stock 192 and 16.0 with a 160. May be different with the Bullitt, but its worth the experiment if your looking for more. I'll probably change mine next spring. She's going to bed soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts