Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright don't mean to sound like a rookie here, but I fear that is already out the window.

The tires say Max 44psi, inside the glove it says 32psi front and (I think) 30psi for the rear.

What is everyone doing?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Joe,
Go with what it says in the glove box. The tires go on many different vehicles and the psi on the sidewall are maximum pressures for the tires.

I don't know why they call it a glove box? I've never seen gloves in a "glove box"......just maps, papers and other junk.

·
Registered
204 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-10 06:01, schmedlap wrote:
Joe,
Go with what it says in the glove box. The tires go on many different vehicles and the psi on the sidewall are maximum pressures for the tires.

I don't know why they call it a glove box? I've never seen gloves in a "glove box"......just maps, papers and other junk.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That's too funny! :smile: I've wondered about the "Glove Box" myself. As far as the tires go, I go with 36psi all the way around.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Well... I keep my insurance and registration in the glovebox. I keep my gloves in the door panels.

--Ohyea, on topic:
I had 17" with 45 tires on another car. Most everyone I knew ran 40 to 42 psi to stiffen the tire enough to keep the rim from hitting the edges of the potholes.

I'd expect Ford wheels to be stronger than aftermarket wheels.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JayP on 2001-09-10 11:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
i run 15 in the rear and 40 up front...wait...nevermind, i have aftermarket tires

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Black Sunshine #161 on 2001-09-10 09:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
223 Posts
I keep 38 all around. The stock goodyears are all over the place with less than 38 lbs of pressure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I try to keep 35 all around, but my front right won't hold air, so it's more like 35 on the other three, and decreasing amounts on the other. I usually put more air in every couple days (when it gets down to 25). Sucks. Anybody know what those clip-looking things on the wheels are? My other wheels have nice big beefy ones, and my front right has this dinky little one. Perhaps that is my problem?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do you mean the weights used to balance your tires, Micah?

Couldn't resist the glovebox oxymoron- it's like why do they call it a driveway when you park on it, and you drive on a parkway?? Just me being silly :smile:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Old cars didn't have a heater. You kept gloves in your gloves box! Micah, your tire has a defect return to your dealer and get a new one. A firestone comment may speed things up! My front passanger tire is loosing air, will bring to dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just wondered though....by running a higher tire pressure.....wouldn't that wear out the centre of the tire a bit more than usual (not that it hasn't already...eh!!!)? I usually run about 32 PSI all around.

Paul G.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
when i ran 275/40's in the rear and 245/45's in the front i always kept 35 PSI in rear and 32 PSI in front

·
Registered
204 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-10 13:43, PBGas wrote:
I just wondered though....by running a higher tire pressure.....wouldn't that wear out the centre of the tire a bit more than usual (not that it hasn't already...eh!!!)? I usually run about 32 PSI all around.

Paul G.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes it will. If you overinflate you will wear out the center of the tire and underinflating will wear out the outer edges. However, increasing your tire pressure will increase your gas mileage on the highway, but also give you a rougher ride. A little give and take per your own personal pref.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a 1995 Cobra in the past and ran the same as I am currently running in the Bullitt. 34 Front and 30 Rear. In the past I competed for about 20 years in IMSA and Pro SCCA and have found this to be a happy medium between Tire Wear and Performance on the street. With the higher pressure in the front it gives the car a better turn in and also helps under breaking. The lower pressure in the back tends to help the weight transfer. I do sympathies with all of you that have to deal with the pothole thing. I live in Georgia and we take good care of our roads and like to travel them Fast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is what the friendly folks at the Ford Motor Company say: Inflate the tires to the pressure recommended on the vehicle label; do not use the maximum pressure rating on the sidewall of the tire. Different vehicles using the exact same model tire may have different recommended pressures based on suspension characteristics and handling....blah, blah, blah...:roll:

·
Banned
975 Posts
I run 34# in Front and 32# in the rear. My daily driving is at 2400 RPM in fifth gear on the Interstate. I rotate the tires every oil change i.e. every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine came with 35 all the way around, and that's what I've continued to run. I never even thought about changing pressures until I read about it here...

Common sense would lead me to believe that a SOFTER (less pressure) tire would have better straight-line traction, but posts in this thread lead me to think it is actually the opposite. How's come? :smile: I don't doubt that you folks are right, just curious as to why it works out this way...

Joe

·
Registered
225 Posts
To try to answer the last poster's question, most of the car's weight in the front of the car,that is unless you moved your engine to the rear,so you should run a bit more pressure in the front than in the rear.
Now aquestion for mb4875, 2400 rpm in fifth,you must like tickets or you're one Luckly Joe.Hell, I'm doing 70mph at 2 grand and worry about the locals all the time here.Tickets here are just a fund raiser for the county.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A neat way to do it is this.To maximize traction and to miniumize wear take a lumber crayon and make a straight line completely across the tread of the tire starting with equal pressure in all tires.Drive the car around the block and stop and look at what is left on the tread of the mark.If the mark is gone in the center,but still left on the outsides,the tire is overinflated.If the mark is gone on the outsides but left in the center,they are underinlated.What you are looking for is as even as possible across the contact patch of the tread,like almost all of the crayon mark is wore away,there will be a little left on the outside,but that is all when the pressure is right.Also note that all tires on your car can be at different pressures because of unequal weight distribution.Works well for me!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts