Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put on just a crank pully? I know we have pullies already but are the other aftermarket pullies smaller than fords? It seems I read that someone put on pullies and it added about 10 hp.

I'm going to dyno again on the 20th and I would like to make another cheap mod.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
hey crusher! good to "see" you again.
i think it was Roushraven that said our crank pulley was the same size as the GTs standard pulley. i know from my measurments that the others are 1/2" smalller than the GTs. i do NOT know what putting a smaller Steeda(or other) crank pulley will do
any nswers?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Check my dyno posting and you will see what the addition of and underdrive crank pulley will do. I had definite gains

·
Registered
762 Posts
Okay I checked myself just for accuracy sake and with the addition of just the crank pulley from the BBK set I gained an additional 5.1 HP and 7.0 FT/Lbs at the wheels.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Roushraven, I can't seem to see your dyno on the site. Can you post it here or email it to me?? ([email protected])

And yes, I'm not a bit surprised to see an aftermarket crank pulley work. I compared the bullitt's crank pulley to my buds 98 Cobra with steeda pullies and the size difference was substantial.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Just a question I ask out of curiosity. If something like a smaller crank pulley gives the Bullitt more HP, then why didn't Ford go ahead and do it? They went as far as to change the others. Why not that one? Any thoughts? Also, how does changing the size of the crank pulley affect any belts that are attached? Are there any? I haven't looked.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good question, how will the crank pully affect the rest of the engine?

·
Registered
81 Posts
My understanding is that by slowing down the crank pulley you will slow down your accessories (power steering, etc.) One effect is that your engine may run slightly hotter. My sister's '93 5.0 had pullies and her car ran hotter and she went to a colder thermostat. Also your charging system won't be charging at full capacity and I've heard of guys who've run into problems when they run highpowered audio equipment. Their batteries couldn't keep up and their cars essentially ran out of juice, which was tough on the batteries.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think the cobra alternator (comes on the bullitt) will help with the power shortage. Dunno about the rest though.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
yes, it is the Cobra alternator. it's "thinner" than the GT alternator and with the extra space our intake takes under the hood....they needed to use it!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey JB Vobra did you try my link at www.roushraven99.freeservers.com?? If that doesn't work can one of you techie moderator types post them for me from that site. Thanks. If that still doesn't work I'll try a cut and paste for you "JB"

·
Registered
393 Posts
roushe, I finally got it to load. The dyno looks great! I love how you gained tourque across the entire band; no doubt thanks to the long tubes. Some of the bullitts that have gone off-road pipe and stock headers have lost a little low-end tourque (ie..like Mike Rayburn of Stangnet who gained good high end, but suffered slightly down low). Across the band gains sure look nice.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks JB. Now I just have to wait for the HP kit from Paul Svinicki to be released and I should be right where I hoped to be in terms of naturally aspirated HP and TQ. Since the last dyno pull I have added the Densecharger and though it sounds great I can't give any real dyno numbers because the only shop with a dynojet chassis in this country had a fire and are out of business for the near future. A FMS aluminium driveshaft and New tires (Nitto DR 275-17 rear and Nitto 555R 245-17 front) are sitting here next to me as I type, those along with my Steeda tri-ax and sub frame connectors and MM caster camber plates will be going on today and tomorrow. I'll be posting pictures throughout the project so keep checking.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-08-12 01:03 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
First thing to do,when going to a smaller crank pulley,is check with a volt meter at the battery,the voltage at idle with lights,and AC on. If you still see at least 13.5 volts,you may be OK. The computer is sensitive to low voltage. And yes watch the cooling too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts