Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here cut their stock springs? I know one of the members here has, but I can't remember their username, but their drop was perfect. I want to know how many coils I should cut to achieve a 2" drop.

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
Touch base with Black_2425. I think his Bullitt looks as good as anyt on the site. I believe he has the H&R SS springs. I would not go lower. Your mud flaps are already subject to breaking on speed bumps. The front driver side is now obsolete. The others will soon follow I'm sure.

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168697

If you want to cut the springs I can't help. Just make sure you think about the other stuff you'll need when you drop that low.

·
Car Whisperer
21,380 Posts
I could be wrong but I think it was just one coil for those that did.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bullitt 736 said:
grn1639 cut his springs.
Thanks dude, that's the member I was thinking about. The stance with the H&R's is awesome, and that's exactly what I'm going for. I don't really have the money for new springs, so I'm just gonna cut these for the time being, and get some caster/camber plates. I had Sportlines on my '95 with fox body KYB GR2's, and Maximum Motorsport c/c plates and the suspension was awesome.

Frankenstang - I read that one member on SVT Performance cut 1.25 coils and it was a little too low for me, and another member on Stangnet cut his 3/4 coil and it was just a hair too high. I think 1 coil all around should be perfect for me. I'm not looking for the car to be slammed in the weeds, but I want it as low as my '95.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Don't do it.
My car had the springs cut on it by the previous owner. The ride quality goes down about 95 percent with cut springs. You feel like a bobble head doll riding in the car. Significant other wouldn;t ride in it, it was so bad. Car drags on everything in the road, pot holes and speed bumps. I spent $240 (shipped, tire rack) on H&R S&S and was some of the best money every spent on anything.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yeah that's me, I had mine cut. I think it was 2 coils off the front and 1 in the back. The ride is still great. I used to run Eibach springs and the cut "stock" springs actually ride better. I also have a set of upr caster camber plates. It rides fine and now has a nice "rake" look to it. :smile: I love it!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would personally save up the $200 and just get the H&R SS springs. It's totally up to you though.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to go with, keep us posted.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. For right now, I'm cutting them because funds are lacking and personally I'm not that particular about the ride. My '95 had Sportlines and that was a pretty rough ride and I daily drove it for 5 years with no complaints. It's a lowered Mustang, not a Caddy...I don't mind feeling the bumps too much.

grn1639 - Thanks! I was hoping you would chime in. Good to know the ride isn't terrible, although as I said I don't care that much. Car looks great man, I love the stance.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Bullitt4113 said:
Thanks guys. For right now, I'm cutting them because funds are lacking and personally I'm not that particular about the ride. My '95 had Sportlines and that was a pretty rough ride and I daily drove it for 5 years with no complaints. It's a lowered Mustang, not a Caddy...I don't mind feeling the bumps too much.

grn1639 - Thanks! I was hoping you would chime in. Good to know the ride isn't terrible, although as I said I don't care that much. Car looks great man, I love the stance.
Thanks bro. Yeah, If you were running Sportlines, you know what a rough ride is like. Your Bullitt will not ride that rough, I can just about promise you that!:smile:

·
Premium Member
'01 #5253
464 Posts
Here's my coupe. I have Bullitt springs in the front, one coil removed. The height is perfect for street/show use, but I can't go running hard or I'll have fender to tire rub. I can only imagine its worse w/ a heavier car.

·
Registered
370 Posts
With all the performance springs on the market today, I wouldnt just cut the springs.
Springs are designed in whole what to acheave (lower,ride etc.)you have to figure what spring rate and what drop you want. by just cutting you are taking away a aspect of what was designed in and will loose something. I put ebach sportlines on the bullitt back in 2002 lowered the car 2" ride is acceptable. the only downside is that my X-pipe will sometimes scrape on a big speed bump. Would I put the same on now? maybe, but I would defenitly look around at all the different ones now. Do what you want just my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
A point to think about when lowering is to replace your shocks/struts with units made to compensate for the new ride height. When I installed my H&R SS, I also installed Tokiko 5-ways made for a dropped car. Something to chew on...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You would only have to come up with like a hunderd bucks to get new spring becauce stock bullitt spring are very popular for GTs and even foxbodys you can easily get 100 bucks for them. I would wait and do it right. Everytime I have tried to take a short cut on my car, it has come back to bite me in the ass. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback. I feel like cut springs is one of those highly debatable mods. Lots of people have great results with it and lots have bad results. It all depends on the car, and it all depends on the quality of the work. On a progressive rate spring where the rate will change based on the spring height, then its not advisable to cut them, but on a linear rate spring where the rate is the same no matter what the overall height is, it doesn't matter. As long as you are careful to cut them perfectly, not heat them up, and re-install them squarely in the perches in the control arms, you will be fine. I'm not worried about this not working out for me, I just wanted to know how much to cut them.

Again, thanks for all the feedback, this isn't supposed to be an arguement. It's great to get opinions on stuff like this, and I am really enjoying this site! For such a small community of people on this forum, the forum traffic is still pretty high! :dhg01:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
neile said:
Now this is a cut Bullitt spring!

Word, how many coils were cut, and do you have any pics of the car with those installed?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry but i don't know how many coils were cut. Maybe someone else can post a picture of an uncut spring.

Here is the car the day i got it with cut springs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
cutting springs

If I cut my stock bullitt springs about 3/4 of a loop, will I need caster camber plates? Or can I just cut the springs and leave everything else alone? Im most worried about rubbing on tight turns

1 - 20 of 35 Posts