Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a text message from a sales associate who I purchased our two Mustangs from this year. His text message to me was: "Only the green Bullitts have serial numbers."

I had inquired about why the 2009 Black Bullitt on their lot did NOT have the Ford Bullitt serial number/VIN plate attached to the tower strut brace over the engine. Only the embossed 'Ford Racing' center piece is there, upon which the serial number plate should be attached.

This peaked my curiosity because I cannot imagine anyone wanting to buy a Bullitt without the unique serial number plate. I made it a point to inspect this Black Bullitt myself. It does not look as though the plate had ever been affixed to the center piece, nor that one had been there and since removed.

The young sales associate who assisted me when I inspected this 09 Black Bullitt said that not all Bullitts had this serial number plate, that it depends on the year and when they were built.

All of this sounds a bit odd and more like the dealer just has no idea why this Black Bullitt is without a serial number plate.

Anyone have any more information about this?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
159 Posts
He has no idea what' he's talking about. All production Bullitts carry the serial number plate, or sticker on the 01's. As someone who sold Fords for a short time, I can tell you that most salesmen know next to nothing about specialty cars.

K

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
This begs the question that continues to be begged, which is...Why doesn't Ford provide better training for their sales staff?

·
Registered
410 Posts
My 09 Black BULLITT is Certainly, Definately, and Assuredly Numbered!!

When a GT with the "BULLITT Package" rolls down the Assembly Line, that code number (Package Number) set's off the Plating machine to serialize it. It could be PINK for that matter, If the BULLITT Package Code is there, it gets serialized. Period.

Tell your Salesguy to get an education if he wants to move performance cars off his lot, versus just Fucus's!!!

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Various dealers do provide training. Some require that the sales staff pass an annual test on what is available in the products and options books provided to the dealer. Other dealers only want someone to answer the phone and be willing to take rides all day long with strangers not knowing their driving skill level, and then close a deal at any price over what the sales manager tells them is the bottom dollar. Negotiation being key. Product knowledge is considered a detriment.

My guess is that someone, somewhere stole the plate off the car. Westway Ford in Irving Texas had a HG Bullitt last year without a serial numbered plate. According to the specialty car salesman, Ford was unable to give them an answer as to why the car was without that plate. I guess it happens...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DavidMidgley said:
Various dealers do provide training. Some require that the sales staff pass an annual test on what is available in the products and options books provided to the dealer. Other dealers only want someone to answer the phone and be willing to take rides all day long with strangers not knowing their driving skill level, and then close a deal at any price over what the sales manager tells them is the bottom dollar. Negotiation being key. Product knowledge is considered a detriment.

My guess is that someone, somewhere stole the plate off the car. Westway Ford in Irving Texas had a HG Bullitt last year without a serial numbered plate. According to the specialty car salesman, Ford was unable to give them an answer as to why the car was without that plate. I guess it happens...

Agreed.

I already sent an email to Ford Motor Company asking about this just to see how they reply. I believe this black Bullitt may have simply slipped by without getting its serialization plate. If so, will Ford admit that or claim it must have been 'jacked' at the dealership?

And... Shouldn't a price break be given to a prospective buyer due to a vital, unique piece of the Bullitt missing (that is, of course, if the prospective buyer knows what he/she is getting)?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
If the dealer got a discount when he purchased the Bullitt, then yes.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JrzyBullitt said:
Did it have the Bullitt dash, horn button, and door sills?

Yes, everything 'BULLITT' is there but the serialized plate on the strut brace. If I recall, this black Bullitt showed up on the lot about end of August. I test drove this one prior to getting my 09 HG.

Below is the window sticker info from FordDirect.com

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
they probably sold it and replaced with a non Bullitt piece. Only way someone could get one otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Ok I can't recall how the window sticker reflects this - but I've heard of dealerships slapping on Bullitt bits & pieces themselves. But only the factory units are true Bullitts.

Not sure what the case is here but if the numbered Bullitt strut brace was stolen or a Dealer clone – I would hope the buyer would be informed enough to catch it. Perhaps the dealership is looking for the "right" (translated as ignorant) buyer to walk in with his check book in his teeth & buy it sight unseen.

I mean if this was the car I wanted – I’d demand the numbered strut brace or I’d walk.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I personally, can not imagine that there is enough money in replacing the stock GT parts with Bullitt specific parts and come out ahead on the sale. The parts cost would out wiegh the profit.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
I personally, can not imagine that there is enough money in replacing the stock GT parts with Bullitt specific parts and come out ahead on the sale. The parts cost would out wiegh the profit.
Now for someone who already owns a Premium GT who wants to make a clone Bullitt - I would tend to agree.

But for a dealership – I would tend to think that they would probably still manage to make it work? I would think that the real trick would be the engine & drive train – the rest of the trim stuff is available and could be bolted on relatively cheaply for the dealership.

Anyway I can’t remember where I first heard about this but I seem to recall something about dealerships making Bullitt clones. Now obviously a Highland Green Bullitt is an entirely different story – but it seems to me that you could easily make a black Mustang look like a Bullitt.

The key here is the missing (?) numbered strut brace. Whatever the case (real McCoy or not) I'm sure the dealership would love to get rid of it without having to put a new strut bar on.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Cloned BULLITT

I'd check this out very thoroughly. If they sold you a "clone" as a true BULLITT then I would go and demand my money back if you feel inclined to do so. If that doesn't work I'd LOVE to be your attorney that brings FRAUD CHARGES against them. :bigguns:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have seen six Blacl Bullitts' and they all had the correct numbers on the cross member under the hood.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
TXBLUOVAL said:
I'd check this out very thoroughly. If they sold you a "clone" as a true BULLITT then I would go and demand my money back if you feel inclined to do so. If that doesn't work I'd LOVE to be your attorney that brings FRAUD CHARGES against them. :bigguns:
See and this is the trick - to the less informed car buyer the dealership might be able to pull off the sale.

Fact is unless you're a true gearhead/car nut you might not know if your Bullitt is real or not unless you do some research.

Don't get me wrong - the dealership might not have done anything wrong but if its a real Bullitt they shouldn't even try to sell it as such without "all" of the Bullitt items intact and accounted for.

I mean if for whatever reason the Bullitt actually lost or had the brace stolen - they should make good by replacing it or cutting to cost to that of regular GT.

Short of that - Lawyer up! ;)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
My .02 is FORD should have put another BULLITT ID # somewhere like the 01's.
How hard or how much would that have cost? I realize the strut tower ID is cool, but can be un bolted/removed than what?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Bullistic said:
My .02 is FORD should have put another BULLITT ID # somewhere like the 01's.
How hard or how much would that have cost? I realize the strut tower ID is cool, but can be un bolted/removed than what?
Or worse, the strut tower could be damaged in an accident. Is there any way to confirm the ID # after that....unless they were registered here where the VIN number can be used to match the Bullitt #.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts