Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my '09 HG #5933 last week. I've been drooling over it since I heard about the '08 model. I finally graduated college and got a job and picked it up as a graduation present to myself.

First job is getting off that dealer emblem. I forgot to tell them to take it off and I don't live near the dealership so I'd rather do it myself if I can.

I've heard of using hair driers, lighter fluid, or WD-40...has anyone tried any of these successfully without paint damage?

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome - Enjoy the car.

I caught the edge gently with my fingernail and slowly peeled mine off, no problem. If it seems tough, the hair dryer will work.

Frank

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yeah, it's probably on there with double sided tape. Just give it a gentle pull.

Oh wait...isn't that what I told her??? ;) Sorry couldn't resist!

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
If it's a decal just warm it up. That helps to soften it and the adhesive will let go easer. Then lighter fluid on a soft cotton cloth will take off any left residue. After that it's time to wash and wax or polish for the winter. I like Zaino products. :smile: :smile:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
tim5933 said:
Just picked up my '09 HG #5933 last week. I've been drooling over it since I heard about the '08 model. I finally graduated college and got a job and picked it up as a graduation present to myself.

First job is getting off that dealer emblem. I forgot to tell them to take it off and I don't live near the dealership so I'd rather do it myself if I can.

I've heard of using hair driers, lighter fluid, or WD-40...has anyone tried any of these successfully without paint damage?

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.
Congrats on graduating and getting your Bullitt. I just finished my bachelor's degree a little later in life. My Bullitt was kind of a gift to myself also.

Fortunately my dealer had enough respect for the car not to put a sticker on it. I always make the dealer take the decal off before I take delivery of a car- they usually don't want to take me up on my offer of a one-time $3,000 advertising fee. :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
In the past, I've used a combo of floss and lighter fluid with great results.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hair dryer works well.
Use Uhaul or similar tape to pick off the residue.
No solvent really necessary.

·
Registered
213 Posts
itpphoto said:
Welcome - Enjoy the car.

I caught the edge gently with my fingernail and slowly peeled mine off, no problem. If it seems tough, the hair dryer will work.

Frank

ABSOLUTELY... Works like a charm

·
Registered
733 Posts
BB2008 said:
Congrats on graduating and getting your Bullitt. I just finished my bachelor's degree a little later in life. My Bullitt was kind of a gift to myself also.

Fortunately my dealer had enough respect for the car not to put a sticker on it. I always make the dealer take the decal off before I take delivery of a car- they usually don't want to take me up on my offer of a one-time $3,000 advertising fee. :D
I feel the same way about advertising for the dealer,My dealer didn't have time to put one on my car between the time I bought and the time I drove it home.

Either Zippo or Ronson lighter fluid will get the adhesive off and is safe on the paint.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Also,

WHAT JACKASS DEALER PUT A STICKER ON THE BULLITT! I'LL HANG EM!

:D

·
Registered
825 Posts
A hair dryer is great for loosening up the adhesive, then take a piece of fishing line and work it behind the emblem as you then pull up and down on the line to slice the emblem safely away from the painted surface. Works everytime!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help! I got it off this afternoon with the hairdrier and floss with lighter fluid to get the residue. Worked like a charm and now the Bullitt-butt is as God intended.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts