Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with the dealership I purchased from. I purchased the car on 10/01/01 with an "A-Plan" discount through my brother in-law who works at Ford. Between that and the 0% financing, how could I go wrong? Well, read on.....
Well, when the deal was written up, the wrong VIN number found it's way onto my paperwork. I didn't notice it (it's not MY job afterall). Well, the dealer noticed about a week after I took delivery and asked me to come in and sign again, this time with the CORRECT VIN number. No big deal, mistakes happen, right?
Well a month goes by without any communication from the dealer, I have no reason to believe there ia any type of problem whatsoever. I get a phone call late yesterday regarding the A-Plan PIN number I provided them when I originally purchased my Bullitt. It seems as though that PIN number was attributed to the wrong VIN number and has since "expired" (their term). To make a long story short, they are asking me to contact my brother in-law to have him procure another PIN number to replace the one they screwed up. They said it would not cound towards his 4 or 5 he gets a year because the one I provided previously was cancelled. My reaction was this: sorry guys, but I had nothing to do with the problem, and you are putting mme in the delicate position of having to go back to him and ask for ANOTHER number after he so graciuously got the first one for me. I told them there HAS to be a way to go through Ford Corporate to re-activate the original PIN number, and that the customer should not be bother with something like this.
The sales manager and I went round and round for about 20 minutes on the subject. I flat out asked him what was going to happen if I didn't provide another PIN number and his response was the following: "You will have to return the car". I couldn't help but laugh. "And what about my trade in of 6 weeks ago?" He had the gall to tell me it was still there. I know for a FACT that it was sent to auction because the Monday after I got the Bullitt I went back to the dealer because I had left a CD in my trade in and my sales person looked high and low for the car before the used car manager told him it was wholesaled.
My questiopn for the forum is this: Am I being unreasonable here? Should I stick to my guns or should I get another number from my brother in-law? I spoke to him about it and he is a little concerned about providing another to me for the same car because of the fraud potential. How does he know that this isn't some scam to get another valid A-Plan number for someone?
The whole thing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth....comments?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Mistakes happen, and if it is for your side of things, registration insurance etc, they should be able to change the VIN number to the correct one. Probably a pain in the but but I would imagine that there has to be something in place to correct that. From their side of things you would think they need to fix it and leave you alone. And yes I would be leary also. You may want to go up a couple of Ford levels and see what they tell you.

·
Registered
533 Posts
IMHO, I would say that the burden falls solely on the dealership for this one. Even if the dealer tries to make the salesman a scapegoat, he is still a representative. Check to see if they have "Blue Oval Certified" status. If they do, the ball is really in your court, because they can't afford to loose the incentives that are attached to this program, and one very pi$$ed customer with a valid complaint could do that. If they appear to persist in this direction, I would hint to them that is time for you to get your lawyer involved. That should get them scrambling for a solution to this.
GOOD LUCK :grin:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Nice to have my position backed up by an impartial third party.

I asked to talk to the owner of the dealership yesterday, but he had already left for the day.

Needless to say, I am anxiously awaiting his phonecall this morning......

·
Registered
835 Posts
Salsmen and sales managers are interchangeable. It's like a game. One day, they're on the floor, the next they're in the "tower." I have a friend who was a Ford salesman at one time. He explained all of the training they receive in order to make the sale. How many of us have heard the question, "What can we do to earn your business?" Salesmen have an absolute love/hate relation with customers who already know what they want, know more about the vehicle than they do, have a really good idea what dealer invoice is, etc. Yes, they're laydown sales, but most end up not making the dealership any money.

The F&I guy is the one of whom you have to be leary. He's the top money maker for the dealership and receives special sales training. A few points on interest, an overpriced ESP, and here comes thousands of dollars. In this case, it sounds as if he's the one who made the error becasue he's the one who prepares the documents. Talking to the sales manager is usless.

Immediately request to meet the General Manager of the dealership. He's everyone's boss except for the actual owner. If he can't fix the problem in less than 5 minutes, suggest that he call Ford Corporate on his speaker phone, so both of you can be involved in the call. If by luck, the owner is on the lot ask to speak to him.

If you problem is not resolved by the GM or owner, your cell phone is the next best option. You call Ford Corporate and explain the problem. There's a old Latin American train of thought that whoever speaks his case first, wins. They will either ask to speak to the GM or call him on another line.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
I work at a dealership and I know how ford works... They can reactivate the pin # with corporate/district approval ... only if they messed up the vin on the paperwork you signed should it be necessary for you to go back in to the dealership...if any questions e-mail me

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Texasbullitt.

I just might need your expertise.

Still waiting to hear from them today.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
very cool texas!! thanks for offering to help a fellow Bullitthead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts