Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya, that's right. That's what they said. I left Bullitt # 4722 overnight at the dealer so that they could replicate what i had complained about. Well the service writer called today and said they found the source of the rattle, The left muffler. I'll just let them replace it and see what happens.
I really don't see how this could be it, as the muffler is right below the driver seat and the "death Rattle" is coming from the engine compartment. At least thats where I think it originates. They had to order the part, so I won't be getting it replace for about two weeks..

30 mm spacers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Biff on 2002-03-29 22:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Biff on 2002-03-29 22:23 ]</font>

· Registered
131 Posts
Keep us informed on this one.

· Registered
153 Posts
I dont have any mufflers and i still got the D.R. at 3000 rpm cold .I think ford gets its tec guys from jiffey lub.

· Registered
132 Posts
This is why I don't take my car to the dealer for anything, unless it's the direst of emergencies. They automatically assume that everyone who buys their cars is an idiot. This is as bad as anything I've heard, and it really p*sses me off to hear it.
Oh well, at least you'll get a free muffler out of it. Just hope they don't screw anything up. Considering what you're dealing with, I'd say that's a real possibility.

· Registered
337 Posts
We've narrowed it down to something in the engine bay. It's not:

1. Exhaust
2. Transmission
3. Timing chain
4. Octane related

Best guesses so far:

1. Internal engine component(s)
2. Injector / fuel system related

It appears to be heating related: what internal engine component takes 15-20 minutes to expand to operating temp? Block? Rods? Pistons heat up in just a few minutes?

· Registered
1,462 Posts
how many of you have the death rattle? i haven't noticed it yet, but it is my wife's daily driver and she wouldn't know what to listen for.

i drive it once in a while(mostly on sat.), but haven't really heard the rattle.

· Registered
78 Posts
I've got a rattle too....it is really freakin annoying. But my rattle is coming from my tailpipes on the left side. It started when I put on the x and 2 chamber....so can't really take it to dealer. Are any of you guys familiar with that problem.

· Registered
187 Posts
My best friends truck had almost exactly what you are describing. It ended up being something with some kind of "pollution pump" that didn't operate correctly untill the area heated up and all the bearings and seals and what not fit into their right places. It was however more severe the colder the weather it was being started in and in the summer much quieter. Maybe this could be something to look for in the engine compartment that would describe it... just a guess.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just Had the Muffler replaced today. When I went to pick up the car, the car had been driven an hour earlier, so everything was warm. I'll wait until morning and see if the rattle is still there. The weather has been pretty warm lately so I doubt if I'll hear anything.

By the way, this is what Fremont Ford wrote on the work order:

"5317 CUST STATES AT 3200 RPM WHEN COLD MOTOR MAKES RATTLING NOISE NOT PINGING. RATTLING FROM ENGINE COLD NORMAL VALVE TRAIN NOISE POSS CAUSED BY UING INCORRECT MOTOR OIL (5-30
MOBIL 1) VECH REQUIRES 5W-20 XX APON FURTHER ROAD TEST FOUND MUFFLER MAKING NOISE XX SOP LOWERED REAREND XX REMOVED OLT TAIL PIPE AND INSTALLED NEW XX ROAD TESTED AND FOUND NOISE GONE."

Yea, right "normal valve train noise" sounds like the motor is in the process of self-destucting..I don't see how using better oil will cause abnormal engine noises.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Biff

I WOULD NOT take my car back to that dealership, they are a bunch of *ss holes! Find another dealer in your area. How did they know you had 5-30 oil? And for them to write all that crap on your repair order really sucks! It looks like they are trying to give you a good screwing in case your engine does self-destruct. That repair order goes back to Ford. Anyway, find another dealer.

Let us know if the noise went away. Thanks and Good Luck!

· Registered
32 Posts
My dealer did the same oil change trick and then wrote that the noise was gone. Here is my history: I changed to Mobil 1 5W-30 at 6000 miles. My service writer told me this was OK, and that they used 5W-30 in other customer's cars even though Ford calls for 5W-20 in the 2000-2001 modular V-8's. I had gone through two changes with Mobil 1 when I broght my car in for a serpentine belt problem where it was rubbing against the driver's side block. I formally had them look into the death rattle. They called back after hearing it themselves and asked what oil I was using. They changed it back to 5w-20?? - they told me they always use 5w-30, but anyway they wrote on the warranty report that the rattle was gone. Of course, it is not gone and I called the service writer back to tell him so. I am still waiting for Ford to find a solution for this, I refuse to have a re-furbed engine installed. What makes me mad is that Ford is completely silent while we are suffering with the death rattle.

TB #2127

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.